Page 39 of 123 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Goldtop listening to?

A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    Here's a little pointless Texas/MTV trivia. Back in the 80's, after Stevie had exploded on the scene, Charlie Sexton was 'discovered', some said by MTV (even though he'd been around for a while; one of those typical 'overnight sensations'). For a time, people in my part of the state would ask 'Stevie or Charlie?' to find out where you stood on things, like a Texas version of the DLR -vs- Sammy debate. But I personally never went for that. I thought it was apples and oranges. I'll freely admit that in my book Stevie was the absolute top of the heap. There was him, then everybody else. Stevie was and will always be in a league of his own to me.

As for this song, I still dig it, in spite of MTV beating us over the head with it back then.

Lloyd/Goldtop
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

For some reason, I keep going back to this song this week.

What a little video this is! There's a guy playing rhythm with a beautiful GOLDTOP. Then there's another guy with a zebra-striped sax. And out front is THE Guy with his polkadots and showmanship and great (IMO) tone. And not one of them is breaking a sweat. I've never seen Buddy live, but I wish I had been there this night.

THIS Goldtop Guy
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

Lloyd/Goldtop

This one is a MONSTER! One of several from a show taped in Germany(?), a package of American Blues Stars of Chicago and Mississippi. This one is: Big Mama Thornton, John Lee Hooker (on harp!!!), Walter Horton, Dr. Ross, and others unseen. I think whether you're really into The Blues and/or Boogie, or not, if this one doesn't get you moving then maybe a doctor better take a look at you. Check out how Big Mama leads it all, telling who she wants to come to the mike and when. Cool stuff!

Big Goldtop

P.S. - Who knew JLH was such a hoofer?!

The Kentucky Headhunters!

Goldtop/QoC

Gool old Doug Sahm.

Goldtop

A (sort of) weird day here, and I don't know of anything that goes better with weird than Christopher Walken..

Goldtop

I was out at 3AM this morning to help a friend and neighbor in the hospital. It snowed here last night, and it was 14 degrees when I left the house today. It put me back in the Christmas Spirit, so here are a few things I started listening to once I got back in.

I think this young man is amazing!

Have a great week everybody!

Lloyd/Goldtop/Queen of Clubs

Searching for the sound tdarian's Avatar
    If I Told You All That Went Down It Would Burn Off Both Of Your Ears

There is a light that never goes out

Searching for the sound tdarian's Avatar
    Fats was 26 here, so was I. I'd never seen anyone like him and I have not since. So glad this was recorded.
    If I Told You All That Went Down It Would Burn Off Both Of Your Ears

I've been tied up with some personal things for a few days, but I'm back to posting now - at least for a little while. And what a way to start! This video HAS to go in The Goldtop Vault (if I ever do one).

Watching this, several comments come to mind. Among them are:

1. - What a club! Where is this? The oldsters and the youngsters, all living together in peace, united in the love of Bop! Feel that Boogie, Baby!

2. - What's in those bottles? Is that RC Cola, Coke, Rebel Yell, NuGrape, or what? Too early for Mr. Pibb...

3. - Check out the playing position of that bass player. And Eddie thought he invented that approach in the '80's!

4. - Who put their cock on the piano?

Goldtop Lloyd, The Queen of Clubs
    Last edited by Goldtop; 01-19-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Hey Lloyd, good to hear from you! I've been wondering what you've been listening to for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Hey Lloyd, good to hear from you! I've been wondering what you've been listening to for a few days.
    Thanks very much. I've had the radio on a lot, but as far as choosing things to listen to, today is the first time I've had much of a chance. I feel like myself again.

I hope you've been doing well. And likewise for everyone else.

On a personal note, there is someone here who contacted me because they were concerned that I hadn't posted in a while. I won't mention their name, but I will say that it meant so much to me. There are lots of great folks here, and I'm honored to be a part of the group. May we all have a fantastic 2013, and make every day count!

Lloyd/Goldtop/Queen of Clubs

Alright!!! A Great Day!!! Sunday here in the USA, NFL Championships coming up, somewhat quiet and peaceful now, followed by some fun later on at the tv of your choice. So many of us are fortunate, and may we never forget that or take it for granted.

Football later - Music now! Happy Sunday Everybody!

Goldtop Lloyd, Queen of Clubs

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times: "Stop boring me with your drivel and get me a cold beer, Honey!". No, wait... I haven't said that one in a long time. Let me think here...

Oh yeah, now I remember. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times: Inspiration can come anywhere at any time. The inspiration for my posting this song is something that happened a few minutes ago. In the hall outside my door, I heard two guys at door of the apartment across from mine. One guy said 'Why don't you stay? We'll watch the second game, and I'll bet with you again. Give you a chance to win back some of your money.' The second guy said 'I can't bet again; I ain't got no more loot...' Fine grammar there, but it was enough to remind me of this old song.

Goldtop Lloyd
    Last edited by Goldtop; 01-20-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Last night I dreamed (dreamt?) about this song. No idea why. Maybe it's a sign of some kind... In an act of (A) faith, and (B) forgiveness towards Santa Claus who boned me this past Christmas, I'm dedicating this song to the PRS Goldtop in my future. (With new models to consider, I've yet to decide which way to go there, but there's plenty of time.) Someday, somewhere down the road, I'll meet her, and she'll make me Happy. And if Santa is verrrry good, and verrrry lucky, I'll play her for him.

Goldtop Lloyd

Whada ya want fer nuthin'?

Rubber Goldtop

Oh, what a thrill I got today...

Goldtop Lloyd, Queen of Clubs

I haven't heard this song in years and woke up with it in my head.