Page 50 of 134 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 2672

Thread: What is Goldtop listening to?

A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    More Stu Clark.

LPC
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

From the new Townes Van Zandt double CD "Sunshine Boy".

Lloyd/Goldtop/QoC
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

Searching for the sound tdarian's Avatar
    Los Weebads!
    If I Told You All That Went Down It Would Burn Off Both Of Your Ears

Quote Originally Posted by tdarian View Post
    Los Weebads!
    Tom, I mean this in the most manliest of he-man and manly ways... I DIG YOU! Do you even know how to post something that isn't cool?!?

Goldtop Lloyd, tdarian Fan!

Happy Friday! A little Warren Haynes before lunch...

~ Matt

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Son, the HX/DA is a man's amp. One channel, not two, 50 watts of red hot glass crankin' out a tone that's big as...well...it's big.

Happy Friday Everybody!

Okay, this may be considered a confession of some kind. Not in my eyes, but whatever. I LIKE LOVERBOY! There, I said it. However that paints me, gimme the brush! Their first two or three albums were and still are fantastic IMO.

I saw them on their (I think) first big tour opening for AC/DC on the "Back In Black" tour. Picture this: Bon Scott had died after AC/DC had made their best album ever (in my opinion, and the opinions of many others). The band had this new singer nobody had ever heard of, some guy who wore a goofy cap all the time, and who sounded like he gargled with Drano. A voice MUCH different than Bon's. But they were coming to town, so of course everybody was going.

If the changes to AC/DC weren't enough, the band who was opening for them was some unknown bunch from Canada named 'Loverboy'. Well, isn't that cute. How sweet. 'Loverboy'. "Oh, yoo hoo, come here Loverboy, you cutie you! Yoooo Hooooo." That was the attitude of most of us in the crowd that night. The song "Turn Me Loose" had been getting some airplay on the radio, but still... Loverboy? C'mon; how good could they be?

The big night finally gets here. How many times had I taken my ticket out of my wallet and looked at it? A million? Showtime. Lights go down, crowd goes up, strange aroma is all around (?), and this bassline starts thumping. Stage is still dark. After about a minute, the synth joins in. Stage is still dark. This goes for about another minute. Then, f-i-n-a-l-l-y, the guitar rages in, and the stage is still dark!!! The sound mix is perfect. Loud, clear, powerful. I mean L-O-U-D! And clear! And POWERFUL! I thought my heart would explode out of my chest. It was one of the finest moments in my life. I was young, I was alive, I had a few bucks in my pocket, and I was ready to take on the world! This music affected me so much that I was almost scared by it. It was incredible. And they hadn't even officially started yet!

By now, most of us in the crowd are excited to say the least. I was through the roof myself. I was ready to vote these guys President. After what had to be a full four or five minute opening and building, building, building the tension and expectation IN TOTAL DARKNESS - BOOM! Drums and the rest of the band take off. The lights go up, and we see Loverboy for the first time. Lots or reds and yellows and blacks, Nikes all around, and tons of puffy hair. And they're in high gear. All serious, all business, all Rock and Roll! They were just unbelievable.

From that night until today, I've been a fan of Loverboy. And their guitar player Paul Dean. As usual, he had what I thought was a great tone. (We all like who we like and think they're great for one reason or another, you know?) His sound was powerful, a little brittle, a little nasal, but still warm. Not piercing and painful. I could only like Paul Dean more if he was from Texas! In fact, parts of his playing remind me of David Grissom, and vice versa. Just that certain element to their tone that I love.

Loverboy changed my life forever that night. AC/DC was good, but to me, the stars that night were Loverboy. That may sound insane to some, but all I can say is that you must not have been there.

One more thing; I carried a bottle of Southern Comfort into the show that night in my boot. (I was in my Southern Comfort phase then.) I still have it. A nice little memento from thirty-something years ago...

Goldtop Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by Goldtop View Post
    Happy Friday Everybody!

Okay, this may be considered a confession of some kind. Not in my eyes, but whatever. I LIKE LOVERBOY! There, I said it. However that paints me, gimme the brush! Their first two or three albums were and still are fantastic IMO.

I saw them on their (I think) first big tour opening for AC/DC on the "Back In Black" tour. Picture this: Bon Scott had died after AC/DC had made their best album ever (in my opinion, and the opinions of many others). The band had this new singer nobody had ever heard of, some guy who wore a goofy cap all the time, and who sounded like he gargled with Drano. A voice MUCH different than Bon's. But they were coming to town, so of course everybody was going.

If the changes to AC/DC weren't enough, the band who was opening for them was some unknown bunch from Canada named 'Loverboy'. Well, isn't that cute. How sweet. 'Loverboy'. "Oh, yoo hoo, come here Loverboy, you cutie you! Yoooo Hooooo." That was the attitude of most of us in the crowd that night. The song "Turn Me Loose" had been getting some airplay on the radio, but still... Loverboy? C'mon; how good could they be?

The big night finally gets here. How many times had I taken my ticket out of my wallet and looked at it? A million? Showtime. Lights go down, crowd goes up, strange aroma is all around (?), and this bassline starts thumping. Stage is still dark. After about a minute, the synth joins in. Stage is still dark. This goes for about another minute. Then, f-i-n-a-l-l-y, the guitar rages in, and the stage is still dark!!! The sound mix is perfect. Loud, clear, powerful. I mean L-O-U-D! And clear! And POWERFUL! I thought my heart would explode out of my chest. It was one of the finest moments in my life. I was young, I was alive, I had a few bucks in my pocket, and I was ready to take on the world! This music affected me so much that I was almost scared by it. It was incredible. And they hadn't even officially started yet!

By now, most of us in the crowd are excited to say the least. I was through the roof myself. I was ready to vote these guys President. After what had to be a full four or five minute opening and building, building, building the tension and expectation IN TOTAL DARKNESS - BOOM! Drums and the rest of the band take off. The lights go up, and we see Loverboy for the first time. Lots or reds and yellows and blacks, Nikes all around, and tons of puffy hair. And they're in high gear. All serious, all business, all Rock and Roll! They were just unbelievable.

From that night until today, I've been a fan of Loverboy. And their guitar player Paul Dean. As usual, he had what I thought was a great tone. (We all like who we like and think they're great for one reason or another, you know?) His sound was powerful, a little brittle, a little nasal, but still warm. Not piercing and painful. I could only like Paul Dean more if he was from Texas! In fact, parts of his playing remind me of David Grissom, and vice versa. Just that certain element to their tone that I love.

Loverboy changed my life forever that night. AC/DC was good, but to me, the stars that night were Loverboy. That may sound insane to some, but all I can say is that you must not have been there.

One more thing; I carried a bottle of Southern Comfort into the show that night in my boot. (I was in my Southern Comfort phase then.) I still have it. A nice little memento from thirty-something years ago...

Goldtop Lloyd

Cool post Goldtop! Like your candeur.

And yes, Loverboy is a band nobody wanted to admit they liked their music. Kinda of a "love to hate" thing... Even here, in C'nada...
    Another band that didn't quite get the recognition they deserved IMO, in the same era, is April Wine...

O' C'nada...
    "Freedom is nothing but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    Cool post Goldtop! Like your candeur.

And yes, Loverboy is a band nobody wanted to admit they liked their music. Kinda of a "love to hate" thing... Even here, in C'nada...
    Another band that didn't quite get the recognition they deserved IMO, in the same era, is April Wine...

O' C'nada...
    Thank you. I dig April Wine too. May have to post some. Thanks for the inspiration AND the compliment.

Lloyd

For Steph.

Goldtop Lloyd

Yeah! Yeah!

Thanks Man!

Here's another one for you!

Sign of the Goldtop King...

Yeah! Yeah!

Thanks Man!
    You're welcome. I started to post the 'official video' version (which I didn't even know existed until now), but I thought the model bopping around in her lingerie might give the wrong impression or be too much for some viewers.

Lloyd

Here's another one for you!

Sign of the Goldtop King...

Thank you very much. Now I'm flattered...

LPC

P.S. - Are you artistic? Do you have any TRC ideas to share in that thread?

Thank you very much. Now I'm flattered...

LPC

P.S. - Are you artistic? Do you have any TRC ideas to share in that thread?
    I guess I'm not very graphicly artistic. I've been thinking about it but can't seem to come up with something better than what is already being posted. There are some really cool ones already.

I guess I should try harder...

I guess I'm not very graphicly artistic. I've been thinking about it but can't seem to come up with something better than what is already being posted. There are some really cool ones already.

I guess I should try harder...
    Well, maybe it's a good thing in a way. There are a lot of choice already. Plus, if you don't try to force it, something great may just pop into your head unexpectedly that'll blow away all the rest. Who knows?

LPC

More Canadian Goodness. Well, half Canadian anyway, on Akroyd's part. Whaddya want fer nuthin'?

Goldtop Biscuit

Thanks for the "cross border" blues greatness!

Well, maybe it's a good thing in a way. There are a lot of choice already. Plus, if you don't try to force it, something great may just pop into your head unexpectedly that'll blow away all the rest. Who knows?

LPC
    That's what I think. But if something comes up... I'll give it a try.

Happy Birthday to Roger Daltry! Here's a little obscure Who trivia. In the early 80's, when Pete Townshend's hearing problems were at their worst, the band considered changing their name to "The What?". Fortunately, the idea was dismissed...

Goldtop Lloyd

Please let me begin with a disclaimer: I don't like Justin Bieber's music. I don't even call what he produces 'music'. Now, my story...

I have a neighbor who is in a rehab center/nursing home right now. She asked me to get a book for her. The bookstore close to my apartment didn't have what she was looking for, so this morning I went to another one of their stores across town to look there. On the way home I stopped at Sonic to get a Coke (a day without a Coke is a day with a headache for me), and while I was there, on the P.A. I heard the following announcement: 'All right, kids! Here's some Old School Justin Bieber for ya!'. I almost had an attack. GIVE ME A BREAK, WILLYA??

Old School? Justin Bieber? OLDSCHOOLJUSTINBIEBER?!?!?!

Thankfully, the carhop brought my Coke just in time and I made my getaway. When I got home I went to YouTube, found this, played it, and found I didn't hate it. Imagine that. I think it would be much better without all of the studio trickery, but still; I don't hate it.

Goldtop Lloyd (who had his mind opened a little today)
    Last edited by Goldtop; 03-02-2013 at 03:59 PM.

To offset the youth of the previous artist, here is the antiquity of this one. Maybe experience is a better word than antiquity...

Goldtop

P.S. - This video has got to win some award for 'most hair'!