Page 96 of 139 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 2778

Thread: What is Goldtop listening to?

A Top (and Heart) of Gold Goldtop's Avatar
    Happy Birthday today to Tony Orlando, who was born in 1944. So he was a 'War' Baby... Interesting. I think I was a 'Hey Honey, I just got in from three long weeks on the road' Baby myself. Small World, isn't it?

Goldtop LPC

P.S. - This is an unusual video. Someone put a lot of time and effort into making this one. They did much better than I could, so congrats to them.
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

More Tony Orlando and Dawn, and a tale from my past to go along with it.

When I was a kid I had this friend named Bobbie. We went through school together from about grade four or five up until he dropped out in our Freshman year of high school. (This is the same kid I once talked about in the 'who was your first concert' thread. My first concert was a Willie Nelson gig, and my parents didn't want to go, but they refused to let me go by myself, so the compromise was they would let me go IF Bobbie went along. If you can find any logic in that thinking then you're doing better than I am; One young doofus being 'guarded' by another young doofus. Bobbie was much more of a square than I was, and he ended up freaking out because of the rowdy people sitting around us. A few minutes into the show he took off on me, and it was the best thing that could have happened!)

Back to Tony Orlando. Sometime in the early to mid 70's Tony Orlando and Dawn had a tv variety show. It only ran a few years, and as soon as it started airing and I got a look at the girls in Dawn I thought they were gorgeous. Cute, funny, talented, snappy dressers with lots of bare midriffs... My young hormones enjoyed them immensely! Thelma and Joyce were it, man!

But for some odd reason, whenever Bobbie and I talked on the phone, or met up in school the following day, and discussed the show, all he ever talked about was Tony Orlando. It was as if he never even noticed Dawn! It was always Tony this, and Tony that, and did I see what Tony was wearing in such-and-such sketch, and isn't Tony just soooooo funny?, and don't you just love Tony's perfect hair?, and did I think he would ever have a mustache like Tony?

Hummmmmmmm...

At some point, it finally dawned on me that Bobbie was a fan of Tony Orlando in ways that I would never be. And soon after that, I better understood his obsession with Gene Simmons. No wonder he never dug Ace the way I did.

An Older and Wiser Goldtop
    Last edited by Goldtop; 04-03-2014 at 04:38 PM.
    'Did you ever get down on your hands and knees and beg a potato to get fat?' - Ezra Craddock

Good Monday Morning everybody. Here's hoping we each have a good, safe, fun week. I've had a rough time of it the last few days, but I'm still here, still kicking, and still listening to music. Not to mention playing some too. All in all, I'm probably doing better than I deserve...

Lloyd/Goldtop

Good Morning Everybody! Happy Wednesday!

On this date in 1983, David Bowie had a #1 in The UK with this song. I'll always be grateful to him for helping to break Stevie to a world-wide audience.

Goldtop Lloyd

Searching for the sound tdarian's Avatar
    I really like what Kid Bangham is doing here starting just before the 2 minute mark:
    If I Told You All That Went Down It Would Burn Off Both Of Your Ears

Everybody, I hope you have a good Friday, and a fantastic weekend! Cookout, workout, work out, play out, wash out (but don't washout)... Do something, and enjoy it if you can while you can!

KISS! FINALLY in The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame/Shame. One induction can't right all that's wrong with the entity, but it's a move in the right direction. As for KISS themselves, they're unique, brave, talented, unflinching in their beliefs, resillent, persistent... the list goes on and on. Love 'em or hate 'em or something in between, if you don't give 'em their due respect then you're in denial.

Congrats to Ace, Peter, Paul, and Gene.

Goldtop Lloyd - Never officially in The KISS Army, but if money spent on the band over the last forty or so years means anything then I'm a General.
    Last edited by Goldtop; 04-11-2014 at 09:39 AM.

'Rock Bottom! You know you oughtta treat me goooooooddd.' Not the best grammar, but a tasty little solo...

Goldtop

A KISS "T-O-O-T" of "Strutter"!

The 5+ minute demo version. I like this video because it shows some of the early versions of the makeup, such as Paul's 'Lone Ranger' mask. It didn't take long to discover that dancing around the stage in platform boots, puckering his lips and blowing kisses didn't really fit with a black and silver mask, and he went a different direction.

This video also shows a few stills from the day when the band got dressed up in complete outfits & makeup and walked around NYC. The reactions of the 'regular people' ranged from shock to disgust to confusion to complete indifference. Only in NYC!

The official version from the first album. Shortened up and polished up (a bit).

Goldtop
    Last edited by Goldtop; 04-11-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Whoa! A KISS Deuce "T-O-O-T"!

Lyrics? Who knows? This ain't Bob Dylan, man! Ask ten people, you'll get ten different answers. Several lyrics websites claim this song uses the word 'Grandma', but since it was written by Gene, I've always felt that the subject matter was of an adult nature if you know what I mean. I think the word used is 'growler'. That sets a tone that speaks for itself...

EARLY live gig from NYC.

From an episode of "The Midnight Special" in 1975 (one that was hosted by Flip Wilson no less! How many of us old guys remember him?)

Goldtop Lloyd, who is always worth a Deuce!
    Last edited by Goldtop; 04-11-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Another little tune written by Gene. Again, this ain't Dylan. Nor is it Groan Baez. This is Good Old American Rock & Roll with subject matter straight (more or less) out of the Midwest...

Grab ahold of my Goldtop faster!
    Last edited by Goldtop; 04-11-2014 at 09:55 PM.

One of my personal favorites from the band. A little unusual because it's a cover, and they don't do a lot of them. I like the original of this too, but I'm single-minded tonight, so the KISS version it is. (I especially like the guitar from the solo on through the rest of the song. Short, sweet, understated... I don't know who actually played it; Ace, Paul, or ??? - Either way, I dig it!)

Then She Kissed Goldtop

One from "Dynasty". Dark days for the band. (Dark days for me personally too, but that's beside the point.) I have a little story from a trip I took to see them on this tour, and I'll tell it sometime in case anybody needs a sleep aid.

Where is myyyyyyy - Goldtoppppppp?

Calling Dr. Goldtop

King of the Night Time World!

King of the Goldtop!

Goldtop Lloyd

Hiss-Toe-Ree!!! "Firehouse" from The Mike Douglas Show, 1974.

Goldtop

It's all KISS' fault. Because of this very song, many years ago I came up with the bright idea of trying some Gin myself. And what did I learn? Two things: Number One - I'm not much of a boozer. Number Two - If I do drink any booze, it won't be Gin. Yuck! The stuff tastes like wet cardboard to me. And how was it 'all KISS' fault'? I'm positive that because of my being such a fine, clean cut, respectable young man at the time, I would have never thought of trying alcohol on my own!

Wicked Rock & Roll...

Wholesome Goldtop

In High School, I had some kind of old used car (Ford? Mercury?) that had an 8-track player in it. (Again, how many of us older guys remember those?) I only had a handful of tapes for it, and I was always on the lookout for more. Cassettes were available, but it was getting hard to find 8-track tapes. One day I went into an old used bookstore, and someone had traded in a big box full of 8-track tapes. There must have been fifty in there. I bought the whole box for a couple of bucks. Some worked, most didn't, and some seemed to have had a bad encounter with a spilled root beer. But one of the ones that worked was "Rock and Roll Over". I wore that thing out!

All these years later, this song has never sounded as good as it did back when I was cruising around late at night by myself with that tape player going. Just me, my hopes, my dreams, and my music...

Lloyd

The Biggie. Written by Peter and a friend of his. He almost didn't show it to the band because he was so sure they'd hate it. It helped send them over the moon. One of the reasons the Gallup Poll named them The Biggest Band in America, or The World, or The Mojave Desert, or whatever it was. It made the girls cry and the boys get their hopes up.

This video has some footage from the "KISS Meets the Phantom of The Park" movie. Sadly, it lost out on all of the film awards that year. By the time it aired I had my own tv in my room so I got to see it. Otherwise, my parents would have shut the goofy thing off after about ten minutes.

I Just Can't Find THE Sound Without a Goldtop DGT with Birds Through a DG Signature Amp & Cabinet!

Written by Paul, intended for Rod Stewart, but intercepted by Peter. Lucky for me, because it's one of my faves. Besides, Rod was about to enter his Disco phase, so he probably would have passed on it anyway. (By the by Rod, if you're reading this, the answer to your question is: No, I do not think you're particularly sexy. However, I did have a fondness for that brunette from The Solid Gold Dancers - Deborah Jennsen - that you had frolicing by the pool in your "Tonight I'm Yours" video. She was quite sexy indeed!)

Hard Luck Goldtop
    Last edited by Goldtop; 04-12-2014 at 02:24 AM.