Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NGD!

Another great example of the new artist packs! Congrats man; the ebony/rosewood is a great combo!

Wow! I think thats up there with some of the nicest looking PRSs I have seen, PSs included. If you could keep me updated on that Rosewood/Ebony combination it would be appreciated. That may be the next thing I order.

Quote Originally Posted by Tag View Post
    Wow! I think thats up there with some of the nicest looking PRSs I have seen, PSs included. If you could keep me updated on that Rosewood/Ebony combination it would be appreciated. That may be the next thing I order.
    My PS singlecut has a rosewood neck and ebony board. I also have a McCarty with a rosewood neck and obviously a rosewood board. Although construction-wise they are a bit different I have played both with the same pickups so I can comment on the difference.
    A rosewood neck makes a big difference in the tonality of a guitar....much more so than maple or mahogany. Therefor, I have also found the difference in fretboard woods to make a big difference when you are dealing with a rosewood neck. The ebony board really adds attack and brightness that I feel is missing in the rosewood/rosewood combo and helps it cut through a mix better; especially in a rock context which is where I normally live. The McCarty has a big, powerful sound that is warm and full of sustain, but is harder to control in higher gain context and doesn't cut through as much. With the ebony board I think you get the best of both worlds: the "bigness" imparted by the rosewood and the cut/clarity from the ebony. With the extended top and bottom end it is pretty hi-fi sounding. Pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by VHTStark View Post
    My PS singlecut has a rosewood neck and ebony board. I also have a McCarty with a rosewood neck and obviously a rosewood board. Although construction-wise they are a bit different I have played both with the same pickups so I can comment on the difference.
    A rosewood neck makes a big difference in the tonality of a guitar....much more so than maple or mahogany. Therefor, I have also found the difference in fretboard woods to make a big difference when you are dealing with a rosewood neck. The ebony board really adds attack and brightness that I feel is missing in the rosewood/rosewood combo and helps it cut through a mix better; especially in a rock context which is where I normally live. The McCarty has a big, powerful sound that is warm and full of sustain, but is harder to control in higher gain context and doesn't cut through as much. With the ebony board I think you get the best of both worlds: the "bigness" imparted by the rosewood and the cut/clarity from the ebony. With the extended top and bottom end it is pretty hi-fi sounding. Pretty cool!

This is really what I am hoping for, as Rosewood/Rosewood just seems to muddy to me now. I appreciate the comparison. and anyone else who has both, I would love to hear your comnments as well. I am stunned by the difference ebony has made on my Mahogany necked guitar. Its a bigger difference than going Mahogany/Rosewood to Roesewood/Rosewood IMO. I am not saying its better, becaue its not. Its just different. More snap, and more lows and highs for sure. Also more difficult to play as their is NO forgivenes in the attack. Odd I do not find that in my Jazz guitars with maple/Ebony necks. It may be the Spruce tops really mellow everything out.

Awesome! very nice guitar, Congrats!

That thing is excellent!!!
    -Matt

beautiful! congratulations. Hope you enjoy it.

Stunning!!!

love the PRS Greens!!! And that is just beeeeeeeeautiful!! NICE!!!

Spectacular color/top! Nice choice...
    ~ Matt

PRS HX/DA | 2x12 Stealth Cab | 2011 Stripped 58 - Angry Larry | 2000 Custom 22 - Dark Cherry Burst
    1985 Takamine GX-100 | 1993 Jackson Soloist XL Pro |Martin Acoustic | Ibanez Acoustic