Thread: Phase ii vs phase iii tuners

Phase ii vs phase iii tuners

Hi. I'm curious about the phase iii locking tuners.
    Aside from open back design is there other difference?

I think the Phase III might have a slightly higher gear ratio as well, but not sure. Both are nice tuners.

I have guitars with both, can't say one performs better than the other. I will say both phII and phIII aren't really smooth on my guitars. Not sure why that is.

My name be scrambled ElrytNamrogo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    I have guitars with both, can't say one performs better than the other. I will say both phII and phIII aren't really smooth on my guitars. Not sure why that is.
    Hmmmm....I don't know. It's opposite for me. My Phase II's are definitely a little more "ridged" than my Phase III's....but the guitar equipped with the Phase II's is 4 years older that the one with Phase III's. Tuning stability wise, they both do there job VERY well.
    Last edited by ElrytNamrogo; 09-07-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    --Tyler G--
    2012 PRS Custom 24
    - Burnt Maple Leaf 10-top
    2008 PRS Custom 22 - Santana Yellow - Rosewood Neck - 10-top
    PRS SE Singlecut Trem - Tobacco Sunburst -Grover Locking Tuners - Bareknuckle Rebel Yells - Push/Pull Volume and Tone - Graphtech Self Lubricating nut

No problems with either, here. I prefer the Phase 3s for smoothness, but that may be their newness. I also think the ratio feels a little different.

They all do their job well!
    Check us out: http://www.elfxi.com

Had to replace 3 of mine PHII´s, but it is perhaps because of age (2008-09 PRS CU 10 Top). Some of them where real smooth, but the D, G and B had some "GAP" wich forced to use "overtwist" when you tuned up and down.... bought a new set and replaced them, so now they work like butter again Although I was very curious if I could swtch directly to PHIII and only have to drill extra screw-holes at the back of the neck or if the diameter, thicknes of the guitar head differs between the to models. Wolud be nice to know for future services Any one?

Also, the buttons on the Phase III feel slightly larger to me - feels like they fit my grip slightly better. I like them both and they both work well for me.

Thanks for the answers. I have no problem with my phase ii, in fact it's much much better (cuz its simpler) compared to schaller, gotoh, etc.
    I just think the phase iii looks really cool..! It got that "da vinci" vibe going on, like those expensive tourbillon watch.

One more thing, are they made from the same material? My phase ii is chrome/nickel plated, I want to know if it's brass underneath, or they change the material used on newer tuners?