Thread: 53/10s vs Archtop in a Hollowbody II

53/10s vs Archtop in a Hollowbody II

Hi everyone!

Id like to have an idea of the comparison between 53/10s vs the Archtop pickups in a Hollowbody II.

Thanks in advance.

I have a JA-15 and P24 both with 53/10's...admittedly different construction...but compared to the 57/08's in my HB2 they sound warmer and clearer with less of an edge than the 57/08's. They seem to have a wider frequency response and less midrange "drive". Both the 53/10's and 57/08's sound excellent split and seem to blend well with the piezo sounds. Very versatile pickups. I'm curious, as you are, if anyone has tried 53/10 in a HB2, but not curious enough to experiment with swapping them myself...I love all of these guitars just the way they are. I don't think that the 53/10's or Archtops are currently available.
    It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Tosca View Post
    I have a JA-15 and P24 both with 53/10's...admittedly different construction...but compared to the 57/08's in my HB2 they sound warmer and clearer with less of an edge than the 57/08's. They seem to have a wider frequency response and less midrange "drive". Both the 53/10's and 57/08's sound excellent split and seem to blend well with the piezo sounds. Very versatile pickups. I'm curious, as you are, if anyone has tried 53/10 in a HB2, but not curious enough to experiment with swapping them myself...I love all of these guitars just the way they are. I don't think that the 53/10's or Archtops are currently available.
    I have Archtops in my HB II but its very possible that i get a set of 53/10s. I understand 53/10s compress a little more.

Here's my review of the 53/10s installed in a 1999 Archtop II guitar, which is the same footprint as the HB-II but deeper. May be of some help. http://www.vintagerocker.com/forum/s...I-(tone-report) =K

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Here's my review of the 53/10s installed in a 1999 Archtop II guitar, which is the same footprint as the HB-II but deeper. May be of some help. http://www.vintagerocker.com/forum/s...I-(tone-report) =K
    Thanks Kiwi! excellent review.