Thread: Sweet 16 Thoughts?

Sweet 16 Thoughts?

Hi all,

With experience coming up next week i thought i'd treat myself to something. Im thinking about picking up a Sweet 16 because i dont really gig and really anything with higher wattage i unfortunately couldnt put to good use. I play alot of blues and classic rock and from the vidoes ive seen i believe the amp can do those well but id really like get yalls opinions as well. Any and all help/input yall could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Scott

IMHO, the Sweet 16 really comes into its own with the master cranked. That may not work with a lower volume scenario. Despite its power rating, that thing is a beast!

Low wattage does not always mean that it's optimized for low volume. Sometimes a good master volume is all that needed, regardless of the amp size. Just my opinion.

Older getting younger
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    IMHO, the Sweet 16 really comes into its own with the master cranked. That may not work with a lower volume scenario. Despite its power rating, that thing is a beast!

Low wattage does not always mean that it's optimized for low volume. Sometimes a good master volume is all that needed, regardless of the amp size. Just my opinion.

Great advice.
    PRS electrics and bass, Taylor BTO GS Cocobolo, K26e Koa, 2012 FLTD 412ce-N and GS mini mahogany acoustic guitars; Bad Cat Cub IIR, Carr Rambler, Fender Supersonic 22, Univox, Fishman Loudbox 100, Loudbox Mini and Mark Bass amps
    In music, one must think with his heart and feel with his brain.
    I was joeprs on BAM

Very true, but it is still a great amp. I love it. I really love the 16+, and think it sounds better than the standard at lower volumes. Bot are great, though.

If you're using pedals, the Sweet 16 can do quite a lot at low volumes, I used that for gigging where I had to have stage volume at a minimum, trusting FoH to do everything. Master to 10, slowly bring up the volume until its audible, should have enough low end to sound 'full' at that point and then you can add in pedals.

As already stated, it's not a 'quiet' amp if you take the master all the way up, which really does sound better.

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    My Sweet 16 is a classic rock and blues machine. I don't necessarily like the way it takes my time based pedals in the front of the amp so a trip to CAD for an effects loop should be on the agenda...

And, when this thing is "dimed" it just sings no matter which guitar you run through it. Some of my favorite demos...

Junior's demo is raunchy and just plain awesome for the blues guys.

Mr Ewald sets the standard for the way to demo product IMHO...

-Jon

"I'm a sinner and I hope I never change"

Thanks for all the helpful replies, really appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer12 View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful replies, really appreciate it!
    PM sent
    "BADASS MODDED" SE SEMI-HOLLOW W/BIGSBY
    SE ZACH MYERS, SE TREMONTI, SE20 COMBO

FYI, after spending real quality time with Martysnarf's Sweet 16, I'm convinced that I'll have one when the right situation comes my way. Just a stunning tone. Master on full and volume at about 10:00 was gig volume without violating your ear hole. Add some Klon + EP Booster and you might need to change your pants.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post
    FYI, after spending real quality time with Martysnarf's Sweet 16, I'm convinced that I'll have one when the right situation comes my way. Just a stunning tone. Master on full and volume at about 10:00 was gig volume without violating your ear hole. Add some Klon + EP Booster and you might need to change your pants.
    Sounds awesome. Sweet 16 and DG30 need to make a baby.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Sounds awesome. Sweet 16 and DG30 need to make a baby.
    Swede 24???
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    Swede 24???
    I'd buy it!

Switchable: Super Dallas/HXDA/Sweet 16 in one box.

OK, answer this...Brian Farmer, Warren Haynes' tech, mentioned in his Rig Rundown video, at 0:30, that the SD was a reverse-engineered Plexi. Does he know something unique, is completely mistaken, or is he spinning an Eddie Van Halen-esque smoke-n-mirrors PR campaign?

+ '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+