Thread: SE 30 - Don't treat a muscle car like a Ferrari!

SE 30 - Don't treat a muscle car like a Ferrari!

"To the charge of using too much preamp gain, how do you plead?" the judge asked in a tired, bored voice.

I hung my head in shame, and muttered, "Guilty."

So, there it is, I admit it. I was using too much gain through the lead channel of my SE30. I don't know why, I'm not a metalhead. Just young and dumb I guess. I was on vacation for a couple weeks, and when I came back and fired up my amp, it just didn't sound that great. The lead channel was oversaturated, fizzy and grainy. Don't know why I hadn't heard it before. So I rolled back the gain knob to about noon - BOOM. Whaddya know, a little Marshall walked right out of that amp. I think it was just a combo of gain and EQ settings I'd never tried before, but wow, that amp was really purring. The higher gain settings must have been limiting my EQ responsiveness, the mids suddenly perked right up. I think the distortion character of this amp is just that crunchy Marshall-esque flavor, having a lot of tonal character that doesn't need heaps of gain to stand on its own. I was pushing my amp to be a fire breathing gain machine, but it's not that kind of amp. It's the muscle car, the old Detroit classic - tone with timeless appeal, not the newest style on the road and not trying to be. So I had a blast working my volume knob, going from plexi cleans with some grit, to 800-900 territory.

Now I know a lot of people aren't fond of the SE amps. But I'll tell you, I love mine, and haven't yet played anything that can match it in the price range.

So anyways, I took Les' recent advice and hugged my amp. And all is well in tone land.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Good to hear you are digging it. I wasn't crazy about the drive channel, but I also didn't spend a ton of time with it. Next time I see one, I'll scope it out.

I'd love to play one. I can't imagine the amp team designing something that doesn't sound just dandy.

And your amp is so glad that you showed it some love! No wonder it sounds good!
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I guess its a bad idea to plug my pedals in while there hooked up to the amp,and the amp is on,now i have no amp for the next week.duh.
    CUSTOM 24 BLUE CRAB FOG,CUSTOM 24 FLAME ORANGE,2012 DAVE NAVARRO,2011 TREMONTI, LINE 6 AMP 15 WATT,BLACKSTAR HT5RW X2/BLACKSTAR HT5MR/METAL AMP..Marshall dsl 15.prs coffee mug.prs Guitar picks.

What happened?
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

I regularly turn down the gain when playing other people's rigs. They are usually surprised because I'm the metal head.
    Plank Owner

Just ordered a SE30 combo, looking forward to it. Not a metal head, more an alternative rock head
    Current Herd: PRS P22 Eriza Verde / PRS Singlecut Hollowbody II Trampas Green / PRS SE 30 1x12
    Future additions to herd : Pauls Guitar / Angelus Custom / SE Korina One / Archon and 2x12 and if they ever release a SE or S2 Bass

Quote Originally Posted by thieves&foxes View Post
    Just ordered a SE30 combo, looking forward to it. Not a metal head, more an alternative rock head
    Nice! Let us know when it arrives!

Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    What happened?
    Well let me start with the kind of amp i just bought in my budget..Blackstar ht5rw,i had my cry baby hooked up to the effects loop
    On the back of amp i had turned on the amp btw i also had my headphones plugged in as well and had them on my ears,after turning on amp i noticed input,output was not connected to my cry baby,so with that being said i took the two leads to plug into pedal and then i heard a loud boom through my headphones and thats it then nothin worked on my amp the power light was on but thats it no sound couldn't swicth from clean to od.nothing.so MF is sending me another one.i hope i dont mess this one up.just a not to familiar with tube amps is there a sigjt i can educate my self on hookingup pedels throug effects loop ect.ty
    CUSTOM 24 BLUE CRAB FOG,CUSTOM 24 FLAME ORANGE,2012 DAVE NAVARRO,2011 TREMONTI, LINE 6 AMP 15 WATT,BLACKSTAR HT5RW X2/BLACKSTAR HT5MR/METAL AMP..Marshall dsl 15.prs coffee mug.prs Guitar picks.

Are the prs se 20 amps,pedal friendly.