Thread: need help choosing pickups

need help choosing pickups

I'm considering purchasing a McCarty trem but since I have a McCarty ST I would like to use different pickups in the trem. I could go try guitars with pickups that I'm considering but we all know that unless you're using your own rig in a familiar environment you won't really know.

I mostly play classic rock and would like to use 5708s,5310s or DG pickups. I'm asking for real world feedback.

Thanks in advance

Check out the McCarty pickups if you haven't, I think they're great for classic tones!

5708's sound AWESOME in my McCarty standard.

I'm a big fan of the \m/ pickups . Shawn and I had talked about these and agree they shouldn't be considered pickups for one genre. Very articulate and defined
    My name is Matt and I'm a guitarholic

1994 McCarty; 2010 Charcoal Burst Modern Eagle Quatro; 2012 Fire Red Burst Signature Limited;2012 Charcoal Buster Siggy ( PTC Modified ); 2012 Vintage Burst Stripper; 2012 Charcoal 408 Standard w/ Crackwood; 2012 NOS ME1 Tiger Eye

Maybe you should try the stock pickup first because it's a trem guitar there, more wood taken out and the bridge is suspended by screws and springs. It may sound very different, or may not. If I were you, I'd give it a listen first before rushing into swapping the pickups out. That said, the 57/08 and 59/09 are probably your best friends if you're wanting vintage-y tones. Cheers man!

Quote Originally Posted by maxtuna26 View Post
    Maybe you should try the stock pickup first because it's a trem guitar there, more wood taken out and the bridge is suspended by screws and springs. It may sound very different, or may not. If I were you, I'd give it a listen first before rushing into swapping the pickups out. That said, the 57/08 and 59/09 are probably your best friends if you're wanting vintage-y tones. Cheers man!
    +1, the trem is going to give a different sound, try out McCarty pickups 1st. Also, DGTs are the best.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Quote Originally Posted by south89 View Post
    I'm a big fan of the \m/ pickups . Shawn and I had talked about these and agree they shouldn't be considered pickups for one genre. Very articulate and defined
    Yea Matt, the \m/'s are NOT a one trick pony. That said, I am a HUGE fan of the McCarty's too. I also use a mixed set in Riza, 57/08 & 59/09. Hell, their ALL good choices!
    Chris Reynolds...Nashvegas TN
    CR Guitar Demos
    More guitars than I can afford!
    #1 fan of Doug "DA MAN" Sewell!!

Quote Originally Posted by south89 View Post
    +1

I have 2 sets and love them!!
    "BADASS MODDED" SE SEMI-HOLLOW W/BIGSBY
    SE ZACH MYERS, SE TREMONTI, SE20 COMBO