Thread: S2's in the news

S2's in the news

The Baltimore Sun writes about the new S2 line up and how they fit within the PRS framework.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...uality-guitars

Can you have too many? Buildermike's Avatar
    Nice article that puts PRS in a favorable light.

The company estimates that it has sold about 150,000 of its core-line electric guitars since then and about 200,000 of the Korean-made SE series.
    Wow! I knew Paul has said they sell a lot of SEs, but I had no idea they had surpassed the USA guitars in sheer numbers, especially since they've been around half the time. That's really impressive.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Great article. I was thinking primarily in terms of reducing the cost of materials, but of course it points out that you want to reduce the amount of time it takes to make them, because labor is the biggest cost.

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Very cool article...pretty cool to hear an artist who actually re-recorded studio tracks because his hew S2 sounded so good...wonder how all of our favorite classic recordings would sound if they were re-recorded with PRSi lol?
    1990 CE24 MT | 1991 CU24 | 1991 CE24 | 1992 CE24 MT
    1993 STD 24 | 1997 CE24 3pc MT | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 SE Akesson | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 S2 Mira | 2013 Hollowbody II
    2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2014 SE Zach Myers (incoming)

Thanks for sharing. Interesting read.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    That was a great read!
    +1
    2007 Korina McCarty Brazilian
    S2 Custom 24
    SE Bernie Marsden
    SE Custom Semi-Hollow Body
    SE245

Nice.

It amazes me to see that PRS holds such a tiny amount of the market compared to Fender and Gibson.
    --Garrett--

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Nice.

It amazes me to see that PRS holds such a tiny amount of the market compared to Fender and Gibson.
    No KIDDING!

The other slight shocker was when they mentioned that the USA Les Pauls and Fenders are well over a grand when a LP Studio can be had new at MF etc for under $800 and an American Standard Strat or Tele...with hsc is also well under a grand new.

NO...I have NOT tried an S2. And I cant see myself running out to put my hands on one. I love my core models and since May, I've come to learn why the SEs are blowing-away the core production numbers and it isn't only because of the pricepoint. I personally see, in the SEs... top notch quality, killer tone and cosmetic beauty (only skin deep...veneer) that I find nearly equals my core models. Actually, my new SE is my current #1 stage guitar. I LOVE this thing SO much (Tremonti SE Custom).

Hey, I wish PRS huge success with the S2 line. I hope it helps PRS run with the big guys in sales numbers. I hope I see one on EVERY stage I'm near in 2014 and forward. For me though...meh...I'm SO happy with my guitars right now I wouldn't even buy a '59 burst with original pups for $1200. Well ok...I'm not an idiot...I could sell that thing and buy like 300 SEs or 100 core models...or maybe a new house

Quote Originally Posted by blaren View Post
    No KIDDING!

The other slight shocker was when they mentioned that the USA Les Pauls and Fenders are well over a grand when a LP Studio can be had new at MF etc for under $800 and an American Standard Strat or Tele...with hsc is also well under a grand new.
    American Standard Strats and Teles are $1200 new. American Specials are cheaper. The sub 1K Les Paul Studios were those faded finishes which I'm not sure they make anymore... they just weren't/aren't the same quality as the others.

I assume that part of that large market share for Gibson and Fender includes the brands they own, Fender has Squier, Gretsch, Guild, and lots of others, Gibson has Epi and probably others as well. I'd like to know how strictly Gibson and Fender sales stack up to PRS, probably still more but PRS would start to look a lot more respectable than 3%!
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    I assume that part of that large market share for Gibson and Fender includes the brands they own, Fender has Squier, Gretsch, Guild, and lots of others, Gibson has Epi and probably others as well. I'd like to know how strictly Gibson and Fender sales stack up to PRS, probably still more but PRS would start to look a lot more respectable than 3%!
    They're still much cheaper... except for Gibson's Customs and Fender Custom Shop instruments. Those would be more in the same ballpark as the PRS core models.