Thread: Vintage Tuners to Phase III Tuners

Vintage Tuners to Phase III Tuners

Hey guys,

Im thinking about possibly buying an older SC245 with the vintage PRS tuners. Are the vintage tuners easily swapped out with the phase III tuners? I noticed that the vintage tuners and the phase III tuners both have screws on the top and bottom of the key. Is it a safe assumption that it would be a direct swap to the phase III tuners?

Nope. The PIII's post is too long and will have the string at the wrong angle. Why they won't offer different sizes is beyond me.

Really??? Damn... Is this kind of mod something the PTC could pull off if I sent it in?

Quote Originally Posted by cphr3d View Post
    Really??? Damn... Is this kind of mod something the PTC could pull off if I sent it in?
    I do not think so based on a similar inquiry I made to the PTC regarding a Ted DC245. I know there are other brand locking tuners that are drop in replacements. Unfortunately I cannot recall which brands at the moment. A bit of web searching should get you the answer.
    2013 LP R9 VOS
    2012 P22, IRW
    2013 SG Standard VOS
    Suhr PT 100 Amp, Forte 212 Cab
    Marshall Vintage Modern and SL5, Fishman Loudbox

If you're just looking for a locking tuner to fit the guitar, try the Gotoh SD-90MG. It's a locking version of the tuners that PRS fitted to the McCarty.

Quote Originally Posted by ADP View Post
    If you're just looking for a locking tuner to fit the guitar, try the Gotoh SD-90MG. It's a locking version of the tuners that PRS fitted to the McCarty.
    I might check those Gotoh's out for my McCarty!

Locking isnt really the big priority for me. Yes, its nice to have, but the tuning buttons are what I was really hoping to change. Plus, I was hoping to swap out the stock phase III buttons for the ebony buttons available in the online store. Oh well.... I havent bought anything yet, so this will help in the future. Thanks guys!!!

I hate the PII's. They need constant re-tightening of the button. PRS in collaboration with Gotoh and Robson have tuners that might be drop-in replacements. I know one model has been used on PS' and one is similar to the type used on the acoustics.