Thread: Are PRS strings nickel?

Are PRS strings nickel?

I received a couple 10 packs when I bought my Brent Sig. They play and sound a bit softer than my usual Slinkys. I did a search and a few posts mentioned they were made by D'Adario spec'd with pure nickel wraps instead of a nickel plated steel. Can anyone verify they're nickel wrapped? A bought a set of SOS nickel strings a few years ago, and the PRS strings do remind me of them.

PRS Customer Service told me they are pure nickel. I think they're great strings.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Wow...I might have to try some pure nickels to see if I can get back that good ole' NGD feel.

I got a free set at the PRS clinic last week, looking forward to trying them. I play DR's, so it'll be cool to see how they compare.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Looks like their available online at Sam Ash.

IMO.... pure nickel strings, particularly on humbuckers warm up the sound and take some of the zing away.... i prefer them and use them on my McCarty's.
    PRS 2002 McCarty Hollowbody I
    PRS 2008 Custom 24 10 Top - Rosewood Neck
    PRS 2008 McCarty Korina One-Off
    PRS 2013 DC3 - PRS 2014 DGT
    Amps: Zinky Blue Velvet 25/Allesandro Rottweiler 40

They also last longer and cause less fret wear. Plated steel strings corrode as soon as the nickel plating wears off, and steel's harder on frets.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I've used PRS strings exclusively for about nine months, all my guitars have them. I find that they last well, feel great and they make good contribution to my tone. I also find that they need less 'breaking in' than other brands.

Having the half sizes is an added bonus too, 9.5s on my strat are just perfect.