Thread: Are PRS strings nickel?

Are PRS strings nickel?

I received a couple 10 packs when I bought my Brent Sig. They play and sound a bit softer than my usual Slinkys. I did a search and a few posts mentioned they were made by D'Adario spec'd with pure nickel wraps instead of a nickel plated steel. Can anyone verify they're nickel wrapped? A bought a set of SOS nickel strings a few years ago, and the PRS strings do remind me of them.

PRS Customer Service told me they are pure nickel. I think they're great strings.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Wow...I might have to try some pure nickels to see if I can get back that good ole' NGD feel.

I got a free set at the PRS clinic last week, looking forward to trying them. I play DR's, so it'll be cool to see how they compare.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

Looks like their available online at Sam Ash.

IMO.... pure nickel strings, particularly on humbuckers warm up the sound and take some of the zing away.... i prefer them and use them on my McCarty's.
    PRS 2002 McCarty Hollowbody I
    PRS 2008 Custom 24 - 10 Top - Rosewood Neck
    PRS 2008 McCarty Korina One-Off - Stripped 58
    PRS 2013 DC3 - PRS 2014 DGT - PRS 2008 McCarty Korina BRF
    Amps: Zinky Blue Velvet 25/Mesa Boogie Recto-Verb 25

They also last longer and cause less fret wear. Plated steel strings corrode as soon as the nickel plating wears off, and steel's harder on frets.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

I've used PRS strings exclusively for about nine months, all my guitars have them. I find that they last well, feel great and they make good contribution to my tone. I also find that they need less 'breaking in' than other brands.

Having the half sizes is an added bonus too, 9.5s on my strat are just perfect.