Thread: Static Cling Pick Guards On PRS V12??

Static Cling Pick Guards On PRS V12??

I'm new here and it's my first post. I bought a Quilted 10 Top P22 in Black Gold with a Solid Rosewood Neck. I want to preserve this gorgeous guitar from pick marks. Is it safe to use a Clear Static Cling Pick Guard on the V12 finish? I've been using a clear static cling guard on my Taylor 12 Fret GC since day one. I remove it every time I change strings which is about once a month. No damage what so ever from using the Clear Guard. I have another Taylor Clear Static Cling Guard that I was going to cut and fit to the P22.

I find that the strings are far enough away from the body that pick marks aren't an issue. Even my SE that hasn't been treated with the care if a USA model is clear of pick marks.

Maybe it's a technique/style thing I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    I find that the strings are far enough away from the body that pick marks aren't an issue. Even my SE that hasn't been treated with the care if a USA model is clear of pick marks.

Maybe it's a technique/style thing I'm not sure.
    Most of the time I would be fine, but when I dig into SRV's Pride & Joy, I know I could get into the top.

If I recall, the Taylor finish is UV cured polyester or urethane if it's a guitar made within the last several years. So it's a pretty non-reactive finish. Older PRS finishes were poly as well.

The V-12 may be different; evidently it isn't as chemically reactive as pure nitro, but there have been statements implying that it contains nitrocellulose compounds. I have no idea whether this came from the company, or was merely guitar forum speculation.

Just think, your guitar could be the first victi...er...subject... for this experiment in modern chemistry!

I don't think the PRS warranty includes finish damage that could be caused, either.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 09-20-2013 at 08:19 PM.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

I sent an email to Customer Service about this. I'll let you know what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Resonator View Post
    I sent an email to Customer Service about this. I'll let you know what they say.
    Interested in what they say too. I am looking to do the same thing.

I know that I put one on a Nitro PRS Sunburst 22 and it bubbled the finish. Not terribly pretty. Fortunately, I found a repair person who was able to rub it out and it looked a lot better. I'd love to see what PRS says about it. I've got a lot of this material and would like to put one on!

Bob

Any updates?

Just play the guitar, that's why they build them. Pick scratches aren't going to hurt your guitar unless you use a screw driver for a guitar pick.