Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 35 of 35

Thread: NGD! 98 CU24..And Seriously..Who does this to a guitar!??!

  1. #21
    Senior Member Brad737's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    621
    Cool story. If I may offer some advice, try using Hoppe's solvent (a gun cleaner) and a toothbrush on that grime. Wipe it down (preferably rinse with water to remove the solvent) then a LIGHT coat of oil. That will really help cut that crud. Enjoy!
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

    http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

  2. #22
    Senior Member slang05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Springfield MO
    Posts
    396
    Thought I would throw an update picture on here. All new electronics (I prefer the toggle with the coil tap and the volume pot was corroded) and of course some new lampshade knobs!. I also bought some Planet Waves deep polish to try to restore some of the shine. I think my next move is some Phase II tuners. Anyone know if they are a direct drop in?

    "Just one more and then I promise, no more guitars honey!" - The phrase I say most to my wife

  3. #23
    Senior Member Woundtight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    385
    Looks awesome!

  4. #24
    Senior Member andy474x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    1,131
    Quote Originally Posted by rabidhamster View Post
    Very Nice score!! I think purple is my favorite 90s color.
    I'm pretty sure that crap in the bridge was smoke and dead skin cells. I've got a friend, who isn't allowed to touch my guitars, that would rust pickup screws out like that in a year. He has to use elixers or his strings rust apart in 3 days
    I had a friend in college that had a similar effect on guitars. I let him play my strat once, it had a brand new set of strings on it, and he trashed them in about 2 hours. Not that it was his fault, or that he was trying, but they were corroded and had the little stalactites of grime hanging from them by the time he was done. Pretty sure that's what the junk in the trem plate is too. Anyways, his playing session came to a stop when he broke a string... I can leave a set of strings on for a month and have hardly any corrosion, and I can probably count on one hand the number of strings I've broken while playing.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

    SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

  5. #25
    Nice
    Lovin the purple CU24

  6. #26
    My name be scrambled ElrytNamrogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    461
    Looks like it cleaned up pretty well, I dig the lampshade knobs. I totally know what you mean about having that "beater" guitar to not have to worry about getting it banged up and what-not. I bought my 2008 used and it was all beat up, scratched, and a little dirty. Typically I baby my guitars - wipe 'em down after practices and playing sessions, clean them up before I take 'em anywhere. But my first American model I bought was from a shop and luckily it didn't have any of that mystery-residue on it. I'll tell you what though, that thing plays amazing!!! Sometimes I think it's those old beat up guitars that have been worn in that really boast their own character and tone. One day, I probably will send mine into the PTC, but I have a brand new CU24 to baby right now. Nice score, enjoy!!!
    --Tyler G--
    2012 PRS Custom 24
    - Burnt Maple Leaf 10-top
    2008 PRS Custom 22 - Santana Yellow - Rosewood Neck - 10-top
    PRS SE Singlecut Trem - Tobacco Sunburst -Grover Locking Tuners - Bareknuckle Rebel Yells - Push/Pull Volume and Tone - Graphtech Self Lubricating nut

  7. #27
    Senior Member jfb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO
    Posts
    5,616
    Quote Originally Posted by slang05 View Post
    Thought I would throw an update picture on here. All new electronics (I prefer the toggle with the coil tap and the volume pot was corroded) and of course some new lampshade knobs!. I also bought some Planet Waves deep polish to try to restore some of the shine. I think my next move is some Phase II tuners. Anyone know if they are a direct drop in?

    Excellent photo. Really shows off how nice that color is.
    Plank Owner

  8. #28
    Senior Member slang05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Springfield MO
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by ElrytNamrogo View Post
    Looks like it cleaned up pretty well, I dig the lampshade knobs. I totally know what you mean about having that "beater" guitar to not have to worry about getting it banged up and what-not. I bought my 2008 used and it was all beat up, scratched, and a little dirty. Typically I baby my guitars - wipe 'em down after practices and playing sessions, clean them up before I take 'em anywhere. But my first American model I bought was from a shop and luckily it didn't have any of that mystery-residue on it. I'll tell you what though, that thing plays amazing!!! Sometimes I think it's those old beat up guitars that have been worn in that really boast their own character and tone. One day, I probably will send mine into the PTC, but I have a brand new CU24 to baby right now. Nice score, enjoy!!!
    I've had visions of the PTC but it feels so good, it does feel broken in to me. I hate dings and scratches so to have a guitar like this is very odd for me, I still want to get it looking as perfect as possible, but it's good to know if something happens I won't freak and my Paul's Guitar can stay safe!

    Oh, and the picture is just me using an iphone 5!
    "Just one more and then I promise, no more guitars honey!" - The phrase I say most to my wife

  9. #29
    Senior Member wardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canton, MI
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by slang05 View Post
    I think my next move is some Phase II tuners. Anyone know if they are a direct drop in?
    Is this possible?

  10. #30
    Senior Member Sage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by slang05 View Post
    I think my next move is some Phase II tuners. Anyone know if they are a direct drop in?
    If the tuning keys for the D and G strings share a screw on the back of the headstock, then no. But if they have individual screws, then yes, they should be a direct drop-in. I had a 1999 Cu24 with winged tuners that I swapped out for Phase II tuners. When I decided to sell the guitar I put the old ones back on.

    If you have the shared screw, all is not lost; the PTC can actually disassemble the tuning keys and put new parts into them to turn them into Phase II.

  11. #31
    Senior Member wardog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canton, MI
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    If the tuning keys for the D and G strings share a screw on the back of the head-stock, then no. But if they have individual screws, then yes, they should be a direct drop-in. I had a 1999 Cu24 with winged tuners that I swapped out for Phase II tuners. When I decided to sell the guitar I put the old ones back on.

    If you have the shared screw, all is not lost; the PTC can actually disassemble the tuning keys and put new parts into them to turn them into Phase II.
    Man it would be sweet if they offered phase II tuners for the vintage tuner swap-out. Not sure I want to pay for a disassemble, not sure what cost is and if it is justifiable (either way).
    Last edited by wardog; 10-10-2013 at 11:01 AM.

  12. #32
    Senior Member vchizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,451
    Awesome post. That's a great looking CU24. I'd leave her road worn, as long as she's cleaned up and plays good that's all that matters.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    MD.
    Posts
    205
    Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    Uhh what IS that stuff?
    Actually, I believe that is an ideal example of this stuff I see referred to as 'mojo' on this and other forums. I've sure read a lot about it, but as far as I know, this may be the first actual hard evidence of its existence! ; - )

  14. #34
    Senior Member slang05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Springfield MO
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    If the tuning keys for the D and G strings share a screw on the back of the headstock, then no. But if they have individual screws, then yes, they should be a direct drop-in. I had a 1999 Cu24 with winged tuners that I swapped out for Phase II tuners. When I decided to sell the guitar I put the old ones back on.
    They are not a shared screw so I think I should be ok??
    "Just one more and then I promise, no more guitars honey!" - The phrase I say most to my wife

  15. #35
    Senior Member Brad737's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    621
    Yep. You're good to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by slang05 View Post
    They are not a shared screw so I think I should be ok??
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

    http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •