Thread: NPD.....57/08s

NPD.....57/08s

Just arrived today from TGS (thanks Adrian!) 57/08s with brushed nickel covers,non etched and never installed
    Have been wanting to try these in my DGT so...let the games begin.
    Quick question for anyone that may know or have experience with this...I know they will "split" but will they split "DGT style" as is?

The DGT uses resistors (1.1k neck, 2.2k bridge) on the ground circuit. Without them the split sound will be thinner, weaker. You should be good to go as they are already on your DGT push/pull.
    Last edited by LJD; 09-30-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Nice score! I missed my opportunity for some non-etched a while back, still wishing I had them in my drawer. Putting them in one of those SE SC semi-hollows would be grand (for my tastes)

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post
    The DGT uses resistors (1.1k neck, 2.2k bridge) on the ground circuit. Without them the split sound will be thinner, weaker. You should be good to go as they are already on your DGT push/pull.
    Thanks...my excitement for this test just grew

Very interested to hear what your dgt sounds like with the new pups in it. I was thinking about throwing some new pups in my dgt...(possibly)
    2013 PRS DGT..
    2012 Ibanez RG 870 premuim
    2014 Prs se Clint Lowrey
    1988 Washburn G1V
    Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 36 with Saxon cabinet .

What year is your DGT?

It was a NOS I just got a couple months ago from Wildwood....its a 2011.
    This is the actual guitar...Greg Koch destroys it...I grabbed it based on his comment that it was a touch darker then some of the others but it still a touch too much sizzle so thats why the 57/0s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgHcaKiCTPA

Otherwise the guitar is crazy good....never had a guitar that plays quite like it and I've had a few DGTs in the past.

I put a 57/08 in the bridge of my satin singlecut. absoloutely love it. i suspect they will sound great in the dgt as well.

I think the wiring change with the resistors happened in 2012 I think, so you may not have them in there. Would be worth putting them in there if they're not when you do the pickup swap.

Can you pop the cover to see if there's resistors on the push-pull?

DGT Club President BostonGuitar's Avatar
    The Grissom pickup is actually wound to achieve the majority of "split sound being 75% of the humbucker" sound. Though the 2012 resistors might assist this function, it largely lies in the pickup winding itself. Having a unengraved 57/08 in the neck position of my '08 DGT for the last few years, I can tell you that the split, while good, is NOT going to be that nice authoritative "strat neck" tone that a stock grissom neck pickup will bring. What I will tell you, is that the 57/08 humbucker tone in the neck position has been well worth the tradeoff, and when I want to approach what I am missing, I keep it UNsplit, and just back off the neck volume a bit, which cleans things out, and lets the 57/08 do what the original PAFs were supposed to do, which is sound "chimey".
    Official DGT Club President 2008-2016
    "Lucky": 2012 McCartyBurst PRS DGT Moons (59/09 Neck Pickup)
    "Lucy G": 2008 GoldTop/DarkBack PRS DGT Birds(57/08 Pickup)
    "Lester": 2007 GoldTop/DarkBack Les Paul R0(59/09-57/08)

Quote Originally Posted by BostonGuitar View Post
    The Grissom pickup is actually wound to achieve the majority of "split sound being 75% of the humbucker" sound. Though the 2012 resistors might assist this function, it largely lies in the pickup winding itself. Having a unengraved 57/08 in the neck position of my '08 DGT for the last few years, I can tell you that the split, while good, is NOT going to be that nice authoritative "strat neck" tone that a stock grissom neck pickup will bring. What I will tell you, is that the 57/08 humbucker tone in the neck position has been well worth the tradeoff, and when I want to approach what I am missing, I keep it UNsplit, and just back off the neck volume a bit, which cleans things out, and lets the 57/08 do what the original PAFs were supposed to do, which is sound "chimey".
    Thanks...I'm actually good with that also.I'm really trying to get a bit more of that LP dynamic response that my R9 has in the DGT.I would be quite content to live "unsplit" if the dynamics are there when rolling down
    Thanks again....your report is quite helpfull!!

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    I think the wiring change with the resistors happened in 2012 I think, so you may not have them in there. Would be worth putting them in there if they're not when you do the pickup swap.

Will do...

DGT Club President BostonGuitar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by studio66 View Post
    Thanks...I'm actually good with that also.I'm really trying to get a bit more of that LP dynamic response that my R9 has in the DGT.I would be quite content to live "unsplit" if the dynamics are there when rolling down
    Thanks again....your report is quite helpfull!!
    FYI

My R0 is loaded with a 59/09 in the bridge, and a 57/08 in the neck... I have a "Doctor V" kit of pots and caps which indeed brings the dynamics with the roll off. So I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.
    Official DGT Club President 2008-2016
    "Lucky": 2012 McCartyBurst PRS DGT Moons (59/09 Neck Pickup)
    "Lucy G": 2008 GoldTop/DarkBack PRS DGT Birds(57/08 Pickup)
    "Lester": 2007 GoldTop/DarkBack Les Paul R0(59/09-57/08)

Here she is...I wont pretend I know too much about what I'm looking at here but there does appear to be a couple resistor looking things attatched to the coil tap/tone ?

I have a 2012 DGT and that's identical to my wiring.
    PRS DGT Solana Burst, PRS Paul's Dirty 100 #33, Gibson ES-333 w/PRS 59/09's, Ibanez S1520 w/P90's & a Kemper.

Putting them in one of those SE SC semi-hollows would be grand (for my tastes)
    I see what you did there. I'm with ya!

Light brown thingys with red rings... resistors.

I too would be interested to hear how these sound in the DGT. Please and thank you.

Didn't CR do a demo with these pickups in his DGT in The Great American Pickup Shootout?