Thread: Non-PRS instrument discussions??

Banned

Non-PRS instrument discussions??

Just a quick comment....I am still getting used to this new site, having been an active "BaM"er for many years. It will take awhile, but I am prepared to start with a clean slate and no preconceived ideas.

Question....Would it be appropriate and possible to create a section here devoted to instruments that do not derive from the PRS factory? I think it would add to the discussions here, and encourage others to migrate. Besides...I think the ability to discuss competitor's instruments would only add to the integrity of this site.

Just a suggestion, if it hasn't already been acted upon.

Re: Non-PRS instrument discussions??

i agree we need this --many of us also own non PRS guitars :shock:
    2008 Fender Custom Strat
    2011 PRS SAS- NF
    2012 PRS artist Package Studio

Just my two cents but I dont really think that will fly - this board is going to be linked on the mainpage of the PRS website, so while Paul is open to people using other instruments, no company would want to advertise for a competitor. I think people will just have to continue to participate at VR, TGP, HC, Rig-Talk and other non branded sites...

I just checked out the Ernie Ball forum and they do not have sections for other companies.
    http://forums.ernieball.com/forum.php

Gibson also does not have non-Gibson owned companies on their boards either.
    http://forum.gibson.com/
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

I agree with Mike. Only PRS stuff should be here...
    - Dane

“He had a voice that could make a wolverine purr and suits so fine they made Sinatra look like a hobo.”

Quote Originally Posted by themike
    Just my two cents but I don't really think that will fly - this board is going to be linked on the mainpage of the PRS website, so while Paul is open to people using other instruments, no company would want to advertise for a competitor. I think people will just have to continue to participate at VR, TGP, HC, Rig-Talk and other non branded sites...

I just checked out the Ernie Ball forum and they do not have sections for other companies.
    http://forums.ernieball.com/forum.php

Gibson also does not have non-Gibson owned companies on their boards either.
    http://forum.gibson.com/
    I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Gibson used to have a section on their old forum back in 2008-2009. When they redid the place though they got rid of that.
    SFL Onstage - My New Publication SFL Onstage 'Like' us on Facebook
    PRS McCarty Hollowbody, PRS Custom 24
    Mesa/Boogie Rectifier -> Rectifier Cabs -> Boss Tuner -> Modded Tremonti Wah -> DOD Gonkulator -> T-Rex Tremonti Phase Shifter -> Boss Digital Delay -> EHX POG -> eBow

Quote Originally Posted by solacematt
    I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure Gibson used to have a section on their old forum back in 2008-2009. When they redid the place though they got rid of that.
    Probably a reason for that :lol:
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Quote Originally Posted by Danerada
    I agree with Mike. Only PRS stuff should be here...
    Yup.

I totally get your point Doc. I also enjoy reading about and discussing "what else" is out there. I've found some great instruments that way, however, I'd like to think that members here might use other "non brand specific" forums (such as VR, TGP and others) to talk about other brands, and to educate people about PRS.

In my opinion: This is a PRS company site and I would prefer to see it remain as such, dedicated to our one common love. But that's just my thoughts.
    Andy

Wait...let me see if I've got this straigtht....

What you saying is that - there are guitars out there not made by PRS?

Wow, how fruitless an attempt. Perfection cannot be duplicated :mrgreen:
    ••••••••►•★•*PrSi-4-EvA*•★•◄••••••••

Bennett, I have to disagree with you on this one.

The idea of having PRS employees and a PRS company site moderate discussions of competitors' instruments is beyond the pale; far from giving the appearance of impartiality, it might very well appear that PRS employee-mods are allowing (or by implication, encouraging) folks to unfairly bash competitors when the inevitable complaints/comparisons are made about this or that competitor's model, or QC, etc.

Then PRS would have to deal with competitors demanding that certain things be taken down, or posts deleted, and you have a big mess on your hands. I saw what happened several times with manufacturers going absolutely nuts with this stuff when they didn't think they were being treated fairly over at TGP, and started making demands that certain threads or posts be deleted, threatening lawsuits, etc.

And I'm not just talking big manufacturers; remember that PRS competes in the boutique amp world, the boutique guitar world, etc. I have seen the emails that get sent to mods on sites, and there are plenty of small makers who go out of their minds if one of their products is the subject of a complaint on the internet.

I think it would be a mistake for PRS to wade into territory that non-company websites do.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Eriza Verde

PRS could distance themselves with a 'opinions in the forum do not reflect official opinions or public statements' . . .

Is it worth the moderation (and they would have to watch this section), the headache / work of dealing with other companies and third parties, and possibly wading through legal issues (even if most threats fizzle out . . . say someone posted a trade secret or something that shouldn't be in public domain and the mods were slow to delete or didn't even delete / realize the ramification of that post at the time) that non PRS gear discussions would have?

Also since its non PRS, discussions can get pretty heated, since generally most here are favourable to PRS, but in other stuff, opinions can be unleashed . . .

Most companies simply take the easiest way out, just don't deal / avoid it, as there are other forums for that arena.

This forum is PRS property and an extension that changes the rules as opposed to a non offical forum like TGP or TDPRI . . .

and for the free advertising for others . . . heck I think it was a guy on TDRPI (tele forum) that got me looking at PRS . . .
    In fact, the law makes your employer responsible for PRSI, though you may have to pay an employee's share. The amount of PRSI paid by you and your employer depends on your social insurance class.

Quote Originally Posted by themike
    Quote Originally Posted by solacematt
    Probably a reason for that :lol:
    When they redid the whole forum though they basically wiped the entire thing clean though too. Posts from the old forum were not backed up, sadly.
    SFL Onstage - My New Publication SFL Onstage 'Like' us on Facebook
    PRS McCarty Hollowbody, PRS Custom 24
    Mesa/Boogie Rectifier -> Rectifier Cabs -> Boss Tuner -> Modded Tremonti Wah -> DOD Gonkulator -> T-Rex Tremonti Phase Shifter -> Boss Digital Delay -> EHX POG -> eBow