Thread: PRS Cabinets

PRS Cabinets

Hello,
    I'm looking for some input on the PRS Cabinets. Particularly the stealth 2x12 cabs. I'm using a 2 channel c amp and would like to match it up with a 2x12 for gigs. Would also love to see what a 4x12 looks/sounds like.... I have a mesa boogie 2x12 rectifier cab that I'm really not digging.... Any input would be appreciated.

I've been seeing a lot of product video's from the shop these days Maybe it would be a nice idea to make one on the cabinets.

JP

Glad to see a new forum!

Re: PRS Cabinets

I don't have any currently, but I spoke to a few people before BAM died about switching over to PRS cabinets from my Mesa Rectifier Cabs. Brent (the guitar shop) spoke very highly of them, saying that they would go toe to toe with the Mesa cabs no problem since he has both in store.

There was also a lot of praise I remember for the 2x12 DEEP Stealth which allows you to crank your amp a little more with the extra room.
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Thanks!

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar

I have 2 of the 212 Deep Back Stealth cabs and couldn't be happier. Low end for days and I really love the voicing of the Vintage 30's, very versatile. I would put them up against any other major cab out there...
    -Jon

"I'm a sinner and I hope I never change"

I know there isn't a ton of love here for the HG Series amps, but this cab sounds better with every single head I've played though it than any other 4x12 I've used.

I have what PRS call Big Mouth 2x12" cabinet. I didn't compared with other cabinets, but it sounds amazing and with lots of bottom end with my 2 channel "H" head.

If you're not diggin' the 2x12 Recto cab, depending upon the specific dislikes, you may not care for the 2x12 Stealth big mouth with V30s. I play the old school Boogie 2x12 vert cabs and love them, but not with V30s. Playing thru Jeff/Martysnarf's 2x12 big mouth cab with his 2 ch 'C', all I heard was a 2x12 Recto me-too offering. However, when I auditioned the MDT and 25th at Willcutt's, the V30s in their 2x12 pine paisley cab, it seemed equally impossible to dial out that modern scoop. That drove me NUTS! It wasn't until the Experience where I heard the pine 2x12 pushed really hard by a Super Dallas that I realized its potential. The shallow depth keeps the V30 from getting too boomy and with proper EQ on the amp, it sounded very balanced. It also depends upon how loud you normally play.

Before making a decision, I suggest taking your amp to a dealer and try both cab types personally. A purchase like this is too subjective to trust to Internet opinions, like mine.

I play my 2 Channel C through a 2x12 BD cab and is sounds very nice... I also have an Original Sewell connected to 1 or 2 2x12 Pine Cabs (Paisely) and they sound great for that amp.. I depends on what type of sound you are looking for both cabs have a very different tone.. the 4x12 is a bigger version of the BD deep cab with a bigger sound than the BD 2x12..
    ZebraPRS
    Guitars: 1967 Gibson Byrdland; 1995 PRS Custom 24; 20?? PRS Custom 24 Custom Zebra Stripes, 2009 25th McCarty NF, 2014 Brushstroke 24, 2013 PRS HBII,
    Amps: PRS Original Sewell 50 watt #43 with Paisley 2x12 cab; PRS Pre-Prod 2 Channel C with 2x12 DB Cabinet, PRS Custom 10 watt head

John, I've been using my HX/DA with a Mesa 2 x 12 Horizontal Recto cab with V30s, simply because that's what I had on hand, not because I thought it was the ideal cab for the head.

But I think it actually sounds quite good! Different strokes, eh?

I do plan to get a PRS pine cab down the road, maybe the 4 x 10 (for variety's sake).

I'm a big fan of the 2X12 Rec Mesa cabs...which speakers are you running C90's or v30's? Mine are closedback with v30's....based on your Rec comment I'm assuming V30's.

that being said David Weiner's Paisley 4X12 sounded monstrous when I saw him with Vai.

I'm pretty sure I tried the Big Mouth cab too...reminded me of my rec cab.
    Last edited by Dirty Bob; 09-28-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    -Bob