Thread: More Random Musings ...

Banned

More Random Musings ...

I've been thinking about the guitarists' that have influenced and help shape my playing. This isn't about "the best" or "the greatest", only who was important to yourself.
    Here are my top five. Most of them are gone or 300 years old ... whatever.

1. Merle Travis
    2. Doc Watson
    3. SRV
    4. EVH
    5. John Renbourn

So, I was out tonite ... when did rubber boots become a fashion statement. On chicks, they just look stupid, on guys, they look like a fcukin' retard. Geez.
    Last edited by WishICouldPlay; 10-02-2013 at 07:12 AM.

It's the rubber boots, it makes them antsy in their pantsy.

And my (current) 5:

Zappa
    Tom Morello
    Matt Bellamy
    Jeff Buckley
    Joe Bonamassa

Not that they have shaped my playing, but yeah if I could play like any one of them...!

I do see women sporting the rubber boots on rainy days around here. It is kind of weird how they (try to) make them stylish.

Shaped my playing (in no particular order):

Duane Allman
    Dicky Betts
    Warren Haynes
    Robben Ford
    Eric Clapton
    --Garrett--

Slash
    Zakk Wylde
    Adam Jones
    Tony Iommi
    Dean DeLeo

I don't think I sound like any of them at all, but have stolen tiny bits of what they all do and incorporated them into what I do. There's some Hendrix floating in the subconscious as well.

Feast like a sultan, I do QueenCityGuitars's Avatar
    1. Eddie Van Halen
    2. Randy Rhoads
    3. Jimi Hendrix
    4. John Frusciante
    5. David Gilmour

I'm with you on rubber boots. I try to have an open mind about fashion but I'll never quite understand trying to look dumpy... Oh that and that fad where girls were rockin' socks on their arms for a minute.

1. Ray Parker Jr.
    2. Paco de Lucia
    3. Kerry and Jeff (Slayer, counting them as one.)
    4.Nile Rodgers
    5.East Bay Ray (Dead Kennedys)

I'm glad to see East Bay Ray get a tip o'the hat, he's really under appreciated IMHO. The dude has an evil tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    I'm glad to see East Bay Ray get a tip o'the hat, he's really under appreciated IMHO. The dude has an evil tone.
    Right!? So influential for me, his style is way more "surf" than it is "metal", I think thats one of the reasons DK just keeps getting better for me with time. I have a hard time listening to distorted guitar.

Don't you guys like to put Vaseline in your boots and let it squish between your toes?

5 for me are: (these change according to my style at the moment)
    Warren Haynes
    John Petrucci
    Randy Rhoads
    Eric Clapton
    Carlos Santana
    ~ Matt

PRS HX/DA | 2x12 Stealth Cab | 2011 Stripped 58 - Angry Larry | 2000 Custom 22 - Dark Cherry Burst
    1985 Takamine GX-100 | 1993 Jackson Soloist XL Pro |Martin Acoustic | Ibanez Acoustic

Top 5 as of today:

Johnny Cash (the reason I play guitar)
    Ace Frehley
    Randy Rhoads
    Frank Zappa
    Mike Keneally
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

I watched SRV on ACL twice. I must say that was an incredible display of talent. Only one vocal mic on stage and you never notice the fact there are no backup vocals, ever. I used to be an EVH fan back in the day, not so much now. Dean DeLeo is underated. He does a lot of interesting things. I wish I had a dollar for every time I have seen the four descending chords on Interstate Love Song verse played incorrecrtly. I would order a PS. Derek Trucks plays such a mean slide guitar it makes me want to cry. I love to listen to Paul Gilbert. Nuno B is amazing too. Watched an Extreme concert on dish, his guitar sounds exactly like it does on the album. He is very tasteful. I could go on and on.

Top 5 who influenced me to want to play guitar...Ace Frehley / Ted Nugent / Eddie Van Halen / Yngwie Malmsteen / Randy Rhoads.....
    PRS Guitars Endorsee (2008 Mira / 2010 Custom 24 / 2012 Limited Edition Top 10 P24 / 2013 Custom 24) and Signature Club Member... http://www.reverbnation.com/jdbradshaw http://www.prsguitars.com/artists/profile/jd_bradshaw/

I was a fan of Renbourn, Jansch and Pentangle, and Basket of Light remains a great record, even so many years later. But my style was different.

I'd have to guess I've been more influenced by Clapton than any other player, but when I was in college I was into John Fahey's arrangements on acoustic. I can't name 3 others. There have been a lot.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Ted Nugent
    Robin Trower
    David Gilmore
    Jeff Beck
    Michael Schenker
    PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII
    Others LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

Mike Campbell
    Jude Cole
    Nile Rodgers
    Angus & Malcom Young
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    I was a fan of Renbourn, Jansch and Pentangle, and Basket of Light remains a great record, even so many years later. But my style was different.

I'd have to guess I've been more influenced by Clapton than any other player, but when I was in college I was into John Fahey's arrangements on acoustic. I can't name 3 others. There have been a lot.
    Guess I need to be doing some research, Mr. Schefman! I have not heard those names before...
    ~ Matt

PRS HX/DA | 2x12 Stealth Cab | 2011 Stripped 58 - Angry Larry | 2000 Custom 22 - Dark Cherry Burst
    1985 Takamine GX-100 | 1993 Jackson Soloist XL Pro |Martin Acoustic | Ibanez Acoustic