Thread: Phase II Tuners

Phase II Tuners

Hey, with the Phase II locking tuners, should I "wrap" the string traditionally? (Meaning, having a few full winds on the post)

OR...Should I lock them with very little slack, and go with like half a turn or so?

Any tonal benefits/issues with these tuners?

I got a new PRS last night with them, and Im not familiar with them at all.

Re: Phase II Tuners

Quote Originally Posted by fatbagg
    Hey, with the Phase II locking tuners, should I "wrap" the string traditionally? (Meaning, having a few full winds on the post)

OR...Should I lock them with very little slack, and go with like half a turn or so?

Any tonal benefits/issues with these tuners?

I got a new PRS last night with them, and Im not familiar with them at all.
    The best way, and what I noticed Len did during his set ups, was poke it through a little bit and let the locking mechanism do its work. No need to wrap it like a traditional tuner!
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Unless you're like me, and you over tighten the high e lock and snap the string. Did that 2 nights ago and I fortunately had about a full loop wound around on that and the B string. So I was able to push the formerly wrapped end back through and clamp down a bit lighter to salvage the string. I knew there was some subconscious reason for looping those 2 strings! 8-)

I've only snapped one string off in the Phase II lock (Duh...)
    I don't wrap around the post at all. When re-stringing I just line up the holes to point at the neck, pull the strings tight and screw down. So far (except for my one moronic mistake) everything is good.
    2001 PRS McRosie Violin Amber Sunburst Abalone birdies
    2008 PRS Mira Vintage Orange with old MOP birdies
    2009 PRS 305 Tri Colour Burst
    2009 PRS SE ONE autographed by Dweezil Zappa
    2011 PRS H combo amp

With the winged or the phase 2's there is no reason to loop around the post. Pull the string tight and then lock it down. The tuner will bring it to tune with less than one full rotation. They work great.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Me too! Works like a charm!

Quote Originally Posted by dmatthews
    I've only snapped one string off in the Phase II lock (Duh...)
    I don't wrap around the post at all. When re-stringing I just line up the holes to point at the neck, pull the strings tight and screw down. So far (except for my one moronic mistake) everything is good.
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

I've actually always wondered about this myself. I usually give it the length of two posts before wrapping, but I also use weird tunings and keep the way of thinking to have a little extra just in case
    SFL Onstage - My New Publication SFL Onstage 'Like' us on Facebook
    PRS McCarty Hollowbody, PRS Custom 24
    Mesa/Boogie Rectifier -> Rectifier Cabs -> Boss Tuner -> Modded Tremonti Wah -> DOD Gonkulator -> T-Rex Tremonti Phase Shifter -> Boss Digital Delay -> EHX POG -> eBow

They are supposed to work as AP515 says.Pull tight and lock down.No windings.

Recovering Bass Player ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! 's Avatar

I've seen the pros use just under 1 wrap on them when setting up a phase II (or III) tuners. I've been told there are incredibly tiny tonal differences between no wrap and a little wrap. Tiny. I've never heard the difference. But if you can, more power to you.

A good tip: Line the holes up with the neck and pull the string tight, but over 2 fingers rested on the nut. It leaves the "ideal" amount of string to wrap (but YMMV). Also, I have big meat hooks for hands so adjust, as required, to meet your own preferences.

Other considerations: If your setup is jacked-up and you are having some tremolo tuning issues, leave no wraps. Then there is less string to slip, but remember... that is a temporary fix.

The other nice thing about leaving a little wrap is the locking screw can all be "hand tight" and still lock reliably. Of course, everyone has a different opinion (and ability) on that issue. If you do not leave a little string wrapped, make sure you use a nickel or your tool of choice to lock the nut properly.
    One Life