Thread: Two Pattern Necks, Two Very Different Necks

Two Pattern Necks, Two Very Different Necks

I have a new 2013 Hollowbody II that I love. The neck is a Pattern Neck, as stated on the tag.
    I just got a used 2013 408MT. The neck is a Pattern Neck, as stated on the tag. However, it feels quite a bit thinner.

I am not 100% sure how to quote the Micrometer as a decimal, but am attaching photos to show the difference at the first fret as well as the hang tags.

Is there a variance for the spec to a Pattern Neck? Do they vary this much typically? Or might there be an error on the spec from PRS for one of these guitars?

I don't think there's anything to be done about it - really just want to know.

Thanks,
    Bob

Here's the 408:

Here's the HB-II:

And here are the hang tags (yes, the serials match the guitars):

The 408 could have pattern or pattern thin. I don't know for sure but I'm wondering if the hang tag is wrong...

Bob, is that a metric or English micrometer?

Sorry for the grainy pic, but I found this as some instructions on how to get the exact measurements.

The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

The 408 has a Pattern Thin neck. Unfortunately your hang tag is wrong.

That's what I suspected, Shawn. These ARE available with a regular Pattern neck, though, aren't they?

Thanks,
    Bob

John, it's measured in inches, not mm.

Thanks,
    Bob

Bob,

sorry about that...I was told it was a Pattern and the tag "confirmed" that.

It felt a little different to me, but as you know I haven't been playing ANY of my guitars lately due to the flood.
    Paul's Guitar - Charcoal || DGT Std. - Frost Blue Metallic ||DGT 10 Top - Yellow Tiger || DGT Artist - Faded Blue Jean Tobacco Burst || C.A.D. Custom 50 2-Channel - Slate || 2x12 Pine Cabinet - Charcoal

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    The 408 has a Pattern Thin neck. Unfortunately your hang tag is wrong.
    Doesn't the MODCAT thingy tell the neck carve?
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2003 & 04 SE EG SSS | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited | 2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar
    2013 Hollowbody II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow
    2013 S2 Mira | 2013 CU24 | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by uburoibob View Post
    That's what I suspected, Shawn. These ARE available with a regular Pattern neck, though, aren't they?

Thanks,
    Bob
    Yes, Pattern or Pattern Thin

.879" & .909"

.030 or 1/32 inch difference.......
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

SO, if I understand correctly
    the 408 has somewhat closer to a pattern thin neck ?

No, bob thought he had a pattern neck, the hang tag said it was pattern, his retailer said it was pattern, but it's actually a pattern thin . The tag is incorrectly labelled.

The person I bought it from and I thought we were getting a Pattern Neck, due to the hang tag, but it's a Pattern Thin neck.

The MODCAT seems to verify that it's a pattern thin with the first T in the second set of letters/numbers.

Here's the MODCAT: 48M2F_HTNST_LL_NB_B4

I am giving playing on a Pattern Thin neck my best shot. It's not bad, by any stretch of the imagination. Just different right now from the PRSi I am used to.

Heck, I've got a couple of Parker Flys from the Ken days. Those are mighty thin! This oughta be fine.

I'll put a little sticky with the hang tag that corrects it in case I sell it or arrange for a trade with someone who's got a Pattern but would prefer a Pattern Thin.

Bob
    Last edited by uburoibob; 10-05-2013 at 12:37 PM.

Right
    NOW I get it
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    No, bob thought he had a pattern neck, the hang tag said it was pattern, his retailer said it was pattern, but it's actually a pattern thin . The tag is incorrectly labelled.

Ouch. Good luck adjusting. I know I would have a pretty rough time. I like Wide/Fat.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Ouch. Good luck adjusting. I know I would have a pretty rough time. I like Wide/Fat.
    WIDE. FAT. RULES.
    PS #4616 * PS #5219 * 2014 P24 Artist Trem * 2012 Tremonti * SE Santana * SE Soapbar II
    Tyler Studio HD Elite * EBMM JP12 * Mesa Boogie Mark V * Fishman Loudbox Mini
    ​Ab Obice Saeviorů Stronger When Opposed