Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Counting My Blessings

Counting My Blessings

First off, let me say that this story does have a happy ending. The parents on the board may relate to some of this stuff, but rest assured, the outcome is good.

Second, I don't like to come to a forum and pour my problems on the board. I try to be that goof in the corner who doesn't take things too seriously. But I've made quite a few friends here, and sometimes you just have to let people know that you're not a total jerk-off and that, occasionally (but only occasionally), you do have a heart.

Came home from lunch today figuring to watch the Pirates game while I worked in the afternoon. My son has classes in the morning and usually gets home about the time I get back from lunch. When I got here, he wasn't here - not really unusual, because he's stayed at school on occasion to have lunch with a high school classmate.

So, TV on, back to work, don't think too much about it. Hear the dog bark, figure the boy is home. The door opens, and I turn around to say hi. The boy has a paper in his hand and looks at me with just a bit of attitude that says "something happened". He started, "Well, I..."

At this point, I'll mention that he didn't pause in his sentence, but - and you parents can likely relate to this - it's amazing how many possibilities can fly through your consciousness in the tenth of a second between those two words. I though he got his test back and did poorly and wanted to *****. He got his test back and did well and wanted to crow. He got booted from school. He got booted from the parking garage. And about 10 other things. But none of them were it.

He said, "Well, I got hit." Driving home, less than a mile from home, a guy pulled out from a side street and my son didn't have time to avoid him. He hit my son on the front passenger side and drove him across two lanes to a guard rail. My son's car (Mazda Protege) is likely totaled. The other car, a Jeep SUV that is 10 years newer, is likely totaled.

The important thing is that both of them walked away. Nobody hurt other than maybe a bruise or brush burn. The SUV looks much worse than the Protege. You won't hear me ***** about the quality and solidness of Mazdas.

He's going to have to dip into savings. We're going to be inconvenienced until the insurance payment is made (the other driver's insurance is taking full responsibility for the accident).

But he walked away and walked in the door.

There's millions of cars. I've got one son.

And he can still train me for foosball.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Very happy your son is ok. And I know what you mean entirely. The first and last thing I do daily is check this forum. I spend just as much time outside of the forum talking to forum dudes via text, phone, email. I feel quite connected to a number of fellow forum members. Thanks for sharing. Again, I'm glad everyone is ok.
    Plank Owner

Banned
    Yes, count your blessings and love your son a little more for the next few days.
    I've lost a lot of family, they can never be replaced.
    Nothing else can fill that hole in your heart.

Glad your son is okay.
    Too many and never enough...

Alan...Glad your boy is ok...really puts things in perspective...enjoy every moment with family brother!!

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    But he walked away and walked in the door.

There's millions of cars. I've got one son.
    And this, says it all...

3-4 years ago, I received a phone call from my middle daughter. She was sobbing, telling me she had been in an accident. My first words were, "ARE YOU OKAY???" Thankfully, she was, but the car was totaled. She was so distraught that she totaled the car. But when she learned I received more from the insurance company than I had paid for the car, she perked up and joked, "So you made out on the deal! I made you some money!" The stony silence from my end caused her to reply meekly, "Too soon?" God, I love that kid...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Alan.

Your humor is always welcome here - we count on it.

But your heart belongs here too. Never think you have to apologize for being real. Thank you for this story and I know I am not alone when I say I'm really glad your son is ok.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Glad he is ok....I was in a terrible accident with my oldest son about a year ago.....he was completely unharmed....Don't know how given what occurred...it was miraculous....I ended up with some busted ribs...puts life into perspective....cars are paint, metal, and plastic.....

happy all are ok.
    -Bob

I'm glad your son is OK Alan. A car can be replaced.

Senior Member Todd_FindingMyWay's Avatar
    Alan,
    SAME thing happened to me about a year ago. The 'dreaded' phone call on my way to work in the morning. I never answer the phone while driving but my daughter never calls me in the morning so I picked it up.
    Cars in the background and a crying daughter. "Dad I got into a accident..." After I made sure she was fine, I went into full on Jeep Wrangler mode running over every highway median, tree, building in my way just to get to her and hug her."

Sometimes we just need these reminders and of course the metal things that we sit in to get from point to point are incredibly meaningless. Cheers bro!
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobstrusive..

TLike you I would just be thankful he is ok and in 1 piece. Glad there's an happy ending to this for you all!

So glad he is ok. So many accidents don't turn out as well.

I guess this is a preview of the kind of worrying I have before me with a 14 year old son. At least he won't give me gray hair.

Glad to hear your son is ok.
    2007 Korina McCarty Brazilian
    S2 Custom 24
    SE Bernie Marsden
    SE Custom Semi-Hollow Body
    SE245

Glad he's alright.

I'm glad everyone's okay.

OK is the only important thing.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Thanks for the thoughts, folks. My wife is something of a crier - she was almost in tears before I handed him the phone to talk to her. It didn't hit me until I was typing up the post. The kid's resilient, though. On Saturday, we were out to dinner with his sister, and it started to rain. She said, "Well, I guess I don't have to wash my car now." He didn't even look up, just said, "Me neither." Sheesh - Friday night he was online looking for cars and taunting her with the ones he found that were newer than hers. Took him out to a couple lots tonight to look - he's recovering faster than we are!
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Only fair to update this with happier news (still haven't settled the insurance thing yet, but...)...

Today, WVU's band did a parade about an hour from here, which was something my daughter has wanted from day one. Actually, she wanted them to perform at the band show at her alma mater, but this was close enough.

Very crowded at the parade, but I found a decent spot to camp out with the camera, and we'd walked the parade route from the end (where the shuttle bus dropped us) to where I stood. My wife moved up by the judging stand because they were supposed to do something more there, but it turned out to be after the parade. Usually when I pull out the camera, my daughter is annoyed that we're taking more pics.

Not today. She was beaming (and looking for me). And she sort of posed a couple times - turned so she could be sure I got her. I'm surprised I didn't get carnal tunnel, because this was my best chance to get pics of her on the good camera, and my finger was flying like I was protecting the earth from space invaders. I didn't get the look of surprise when she saw me at a later point in the parade. I ended up pretty much going along the rest of the route, jumping ahead at points, and varied between taking pics and just watching. Haven't reviewed the pictures, but at one point, I got her laughing and talking to one of the other girls and looking like she was having the absolute time of her life.

I got some good pics at the post-parade thing, and my wife called me up to the vacated judging stand - which was literally three feet away from my daughter. She was quite happy that we got pictures, and we got to chat for a few minutes before they had to leave for the bus. She may see the pictures before me - she's home tom'w (they had to go to NOVA after this parade for a night performance, then back to WVU).

So it's not all bad!
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    I'm surprised I didn't get carnal tunnel, because this was my best chance to get pics of her on the good camera, and my finger was flying like I was protecting the earth from space invaders.
    Dude, this is a family friendly board!!!

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

Quote Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
    Dude, this is a family friendly board!!!

Jamie
    Sounds a little too family friendly. I'm guessing auto-correct thought that would be funnier.

Sounds like you had a great time Alan. Well deserved after the previous scare.