Thread: Interesting experiment with Bridge from Paul's guitar

Interesting experiment with Bridge from Paul's guitar

I have two PS Paul's guitars, one with a trem and one with a stoptail. I have another McCarty stoptail that I have put aside since getting the Paul's PS. As an experiment I put the bridge from the PS (having the brass inserts) on the Mccarty and the results were interesting. The basic character definitely did not change, but to my ears there is noticeably more high end and a faster attack than there is with the stock bridge. The bass also seems tighter but on the other hand I hear some scooping of the mids, which is not something this particular guitar needs. Intriguing. Anyone else try something similar?

Awesome that you did this, and were able to hear a difference.

As to the mids, I think this may explain it: when you bring up the level of the bass and treble, the mids can be the same as before, but they're going to seem recessed due to the new prominence of the bass and treble. You can't bring up the top and bottom, and have the mids seem like they're at the same level, the ear gets fooled. The phenomenon is masking.

This is very similar to what happens when you apply EQ to a track, and sometimes happens when a compressor brings up the comparative level of the bottom end, the track seems duller, because the increased bass makes the ear think it's hearing less treble.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Awesome that you did this, and were able to hear a difference.
    +1

I think you'd be one of the first to try this (outside of the PRS company), I do wonder if you tried the standard stoptail on the Paul's? To see if you can hear the "inverse" differences if you get what I mean.

I will try the experiment with the standard stoptail and the Paul's guitar. I used my last set of strings for this experiment, but have a new shipment coming in this week. I will post here when I try it. The added highs with brass inserts are certainly welcome. If I can tame the lows a bit, this one might move back into "keeper" status. I suspect that a different amp/speaker combo would help more than simple eq adjustments though. Les I agree with what you are saying. This guitar has always been a bit scooped/bass heavy, and has a great "metal" tone at high gain. The new bridge seems to exaggerate the inherent characteristics of the guitar and I have the aural impression (illusion or not) of better dynamics which is also welcome. It also seems to be relatively louder at the same volume settings. I will alsoplay with pickup heights. It will be interesting to me if this bridge becomes standard on all stoptail models. I would hove to hear what the impressions of the crew at PRS is.

Not to derail, but I gotta ask... "CatStrangler"?
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Some of sounds I make….have led to accusations from the neighbors.

I wonder what the neighbors are saying about me.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post

I wonder what the neighbors are saying about me.
    "He was a quiet guy. I never expected this."
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by CatStrangler View Post

too funny!
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

sɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    I somehow doubt anybody would call Jesse quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    Not to derail, but I gotta ask... "CatStrangler"?
    Bagpiper?
    Not like the other kids...

For some reason they don't want to see my basement.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    I somehow doubt anybody would call Jesse quiet.
    I was born this way.
    Plank Owner

Good one!
    Too many and never enough...

Back on topic, I'm fascinated by this experiment. Can you please record it this time around and post the results so we can hear the difference? Thanks!
    HBII (faded gray black 'double' 10-top), HB12 (black gold), NF3 (antique white/birds), 25th ann. Mira 245 (frost blue metallic), KL1812, Starla (vintage cherry, IRW neck, birds), 2 x 2011 'Stripped' 58 (blue crab blue & goldtop)

I don't really have recording abilities. I could try to record through the on board mic on my computer with garage band. If someone else stepped up (can you hear me Les?) who had experience recording and an objective ear, I would be willing to lend them the bridge after I have completed the couple of things I want to try.

I always heard that metal music coming from his house . That has to have something to do with it
    Last edited by south89; 10-08-2013 at 08:31 AM. Reason: missed a word
    My name is Matt and I'm a guitarholic

1994 McCarty; 2010 Charcoal Burst Modern Eagle Quatro; 2012 Fire Red Burst Signature Limited;2012 Charcoal Buster Siggy ( PTC Modified ); 2012 Vintage Burst Stripper; 2012 Charcoal 408 Standard w/ Crackwood; 2012 NOS ME1 Tiger Eye

The last song we wrote, there's this part with string bends as part of a breakdown in the middle. The last bend gets hung onto for two full measures during a drum build up, playing a D# with my index finger and bending up to a D# with my pinky, only it's meant to sound nasty, so I hang on to the bend out of tune intentionally. We called this part "Dead Cat" on the whiteboard.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

I don't really have recording abilities. I could try to record through the on board mic on my computer with garage band. If someone else stepped up (can you hear me Les?) who had experience recording and an objective ear, I would be willing to lend them the bridge after I have completed the couple of things I want to try.
    All trem equipped right now! So...yeah. There's that.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Do you have an iPhone or similar? You could even try recording with that, then you can get it close to the amp... wouldn't be Abbey Road quality obviously but if you can stay consistent between the two bridges we'd at least hope to be able to hear a difference.
    HBII (faded gray black 'double' 10-top), HB12 (black gold), NF3 (antique white/birds), 25th ann. Mira 245 (frost blue metallic), KL1812, Starla (vintage cherry, IRW neck, birds), 2 x 2011 'Stripped' 58 (blue crab blue & goldtop)