Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are You Sensative.................. to Neck Shape??

I like wide/fat neck carve but I don't have issues going to other carves. I had a Kramer American Pacer series back in the day. It was kind of a Dean Dimebag body shape but it had a really fat neck that I was fond of. Scale length means more to me than neck carve. I don't care for short scale necks.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Fender and Music Man necks aren't unfinished wood, they're simply satin finished and not tinted (for the most part, some are given a "vintage" tint). Except that some Fender relics have bits of the finish removed to simulate wear.

Edit: I forgot to indicate my own preference! It's the Pattern neck, but my #1 has a Pattern Regular, so go figure.
    I had a Charvel model 4 with that satin finish on the neck. I really liked that but it didn't take long to become polished(sticky).

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Fender and Music Man necks aren't unfinished wood, they're simply satin finished and not tinted (for the most part, some are given a "vintage" tint). Except that some Fender relics have bits of the finish removed to simulate wear.

Edit: I forgot to indicate my own preference! It's the Pattern neck, but my #1 has a Pattern Regular, so go figure.
    The neck on the Musicman is not satin. The necks on both my Fenders are also not satin. The Fenders come stock satin. I had the finish changed to my liking. I should have been more clear.
    If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

To a point, I like having different shapes around. I'm ok with a Tele with a huge baseball bat neck, and I love the wide thin. Everything in between is ok! too. I do like 25-25.5" scale lengths, though. Anything shorter and I lose the feel.

On basses, I love 'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Jesse, do the other shapes cause you a problem, or is it more "if I am paying $X,000, then I am going to get exactly what I want"
    I'm sure I could make do with others, but if I'm paying...
    Plank Owner

I don't have much problems changing from one carve to another. I love my Wide Thin neck, but the Wide Fat works equally well for me. For me, the nut width/spacing is much more crucial when deciding on a purchase. I grew up playing on a 42mm nut width. When I purchased my SE, the nut width was right for me, but I have yet to discover the nut width is around 43mm (wide thin profile) until I read some specs, because it certainly didn't feel like 43mm to me.

I've played other guitars in the shops I know, like Fenders, Jacksons and Ibanezs, they all feel okay to me, but there's this semi-hollow Ibanez that bugs me with the neck. It feels a tad wider than standard and didn't feel right to me. Specs say it's 43mm which is the same as the PRS, but it's just very different from the Wide necks. A bit like a "wider" Wide Fat. Prior to that experience, I've always wanted one to end my "punk-rocker's guitar" GAS, but after picking it up, it broke the deal, sadly.

Could it be that Paul had casted some voodoo on his guitar necks to make us feel awkward on other manufacturer's necks?

I have big hands. Not a freak show, just a little larger than normal. So to answer the op question, yes. The specs of width and depth mean nothing to me without the right shaped shoulder, and the pattern carve leaves me wanting (a little more beef).

Wide Fat and Regular for me. Wide Thin gives me hand cramps...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

I tend to gravitate towards medium chunky necks - in the range of 0.80" - 0.90" at the 1st fret. For longer scale guitars, i tend to prefer the lower end of that range. I find a nut width of 1 5/8" a bit too small for my paws but it will depend on the guitar. I had a Tyler BW for many years with that nut width and it worked fine.

I can play pattern Regular or Pattern/Wide thin with no issues. I do seem to settle in liking 25 inch scale the most with 10-46. I do think it is confusing when I hear things like soft V, C shape, D Shape, elliptical, I have no idea what the hell they are talking about. I wish I had examples of each one just to know. I have no idea what category PRS falls in.

After graduating from cheap guitars with clumpy necks in the 1970's, to Ibanez thin necks in the 1980's, I have generally stuck to the thinner carve where possible and switching between 22 and 24 frets is no problem. I do find however, that I am far more sensitive to fret size - a subject not often discussed in any depth. My playing style employs a lot of string bending and vibrato - hence my CU24 currently being in the workshop for a re-fret to taller frets. From what I read, I would probably get on well with the new DGT...Hmmm, there's a thought? (I typed that last bit quietly so the wife didn't hear)
    Last edited by Perry; 10-08-2013 at 02:06 PM.
    2002 PRS Custom 24 in Orange (Yum!)
    1985 Ibanez AR350 in Marine Sunburst
    2003 Ibanez RG1550 Prestige in White

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    After graduating from cheap guitars with clumpy necks in the 1970's, to Ibanez thin necks in the 1980's, I have generally stuck to the thinner carve where possible and switching between 22 and 24 frets is no problem. I do find however, that I am far more sensitive to fret size - a subject not often discussed in any depth. My playing style employs a lot of string bending and vibrato - hence my CU24 currently being in the workshop for a re-fret to taller frets. From what I read, I would probably get on well with the new DGT...Hmmm, there's a thought? (I typed that last bit quietly so the wife didn't hear)

You'll love the DGT, I play mine daily.

[IMG][/IMG]
    '11 SC250,'12 Tremonti one-off, 2007/13 McCarty Korina,'11 Custom24 Quilted 10Top,'12 DGT w/BK Miracle Man pups,'12 Studio w/BK Cold Sweat,'07/13 Navarro w/BK Cold Sweat pups,'12 NF3, EVH 5150 Half stack, Randall Half Stack, Hughs & Kettner TubeMeister, other fiddles; Mayones, Suhr, Skervesen, Gibson, Fender, Charvel, Jackson, ESP, Dean, EVH, Taylor, GJ2, Ibanez, Carvin, Kramer, Agile & Spawn

Quote Originally Posted by Raven17 View Post
    You'll love the DGT, I play mine daily.
    Nice axe Raven17. So, how do its frets compare.....?
    2002 PRS Custom 24 in Orange (Yum!)
    1985 Ibanez AR350 in Marine Sunburst
    2003 Ibanez RG1550 Prestige in White

Extra jumbo, you can feel the difference. I wish I could afford to send all my PRSi to the PTC for retro-fitting.
    '11 SC250,'12 Tremonti one-off, 2007/13 McCarty Korina,'11 Custom24 Quilted 10Top,'12 DGT w/BK Miracle Man pups,'12 Studio w/BK Cold Sweat,'07/13 Navarro w/BK Cold Sweat pups,'12 NF3, EVH 5150 Half stack, Randall Half Stack, Hughs & Kettner TubeMeister, other fiddles; Mayones, Suhr, Skervesen, Gibson, Fender, Charvel, Jackson, ESP, Dean, EVH, Taylor, GJ2, Ibanez, Carvin, Kramer, Agile & Spawn

Quote Originally Posted by Raven17 View Post
    Extra jumbo, you can feel the difference. I wish I could afford to send all my PRSi to the PTC for retro-fitting.
    The DGT frets are pretty sweet.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    The DGT frets are pretty sweet.
    I quite like them. Probably put them on a pattern neck next build, even though I have always done wide fat before.

I'm fine with most PRS carves, prefer WF or pattern. Fretboard radius affects me more. Most anything besides PRS feels weird to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Clayton is the number of frets a tone/uumbucker placement things, or is it more using the last fret as your point of reference when you are up that end of the neck and affecting your fret choice??
    It's a feel thing. I grew up on 22-fret guitars. With a 24-fretter, the location of the bridge is different, so it does affect the feel of the guitar in relation to my right arm, but it's worse with the left hand. I can't really explain it, but those last two frets (technically, the first two) just seem so far out there. And, it just seems like everything is out of whack as you move up the neck.
    Too many and never enough...

We all suffer from muscle memory to a certain degree. If you play a wider variety of neck carve and scales you notice these things less. If you really want to challenge your muscle memory, try a multi-scale fanned fret guitar. Especialy with an extra string to spice things up.

I never had a problem going from thinner to fatter necks, or 7 string ones...
    I still love my Ibanez RG550 from 1990 with a super thin wizard neck and I really love my '92 Custom with its regular neck.
    The 513 BRW gets most of the playtime nowdays, while I still take out my 1986 Japan Strat from time to time...
    I do have a preference for unfinished/satin necks, jumbo frets and 25" to 25,5" scale lenght, but don't really mind playing anything...
    1992 PRS Cu24 Tortoise Shell, "10",Birds, Reg Neck
    2005 PRS 513 Brazilian Rosewood Orange