Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DGMDT 2-Channel Amp... Ultimate Club Gig Rig?

Oh and regarding pedals... It's something I haven't even touched yet (and a little scared to) is the boutique pedal thing. I might try a PlimSoul or an OCD (and I do like the look of the Full-Drive 3), and people seem to love the EP Booster, but as per my synth thread, I gotta work out what is best for me. This may be a long and dangerous road...

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    This may be a long and dangerous road...
    I am going to guess that you've never raced automobiles.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    I am going to guess that you've never raced automobiles.
    No, but I did do this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...1/9-1small.jpg for a while. (just a link so as to not derail this thread more than I already have)

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    No, but I did do this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...1/9-1small.jpg for a while. (just a link so as to not derail this thread more than I already have)
    Then it's clear that a guitar pedal is cheaper and less dangerous.

Then it's clear that a guitar pedal is cheaper and less dangerous.
    As always Les, your logic is hard to fault

I'd love to rock out on this rig. The PRS amps atop the 2x12's are just so great looking. Do want.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    I'd love to rock out on this rig. The PRS amps atop the 2x12's are just so great looking. Do want.
    Wait til you get used to playing one. You will discover that, as good as they look, it ain't at all about looks.

Wait til you get used to playing one. You will discover that, as good as they look, it ain't at all about looks.

Let's see what NAMM has in store and I will make a trip to play a bunch of PRS amps with the intent of a purchase.
    Plank Owner

Meh, these ugly things??!!

+ '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post

It's a real shame, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post

Dude!!! Looks sexy!
    Plank Owner

I'm bumping this old thread because I have a question on the unleash....specifically for Aristotle...(anyone else with experience feel free to chime in) How is the effects loop? I care less about the attenuation features and more about incorporating some type of external fx loop to use with the HXDA and Paul's amp for delay and reverb.

Is there anything else on the market comparable to "add" an FX loop to an amp...(I recognize it's post power amp)

I know how grissom runs his setup but...I prefer more of my breakup coming from the amp than from a pedal...and that is a tricky thing when running reverb or a delay up front....especially when using nothing but a volume knob to go from clean to dirty (Maybe the two different levels on the unleash would come in handy)

I care about this from a live use band perspective.

Bump!

Hey Bob,

I'm not a loop "aficionado", but the loop in the Unleash sounds great to me. In general, the Unleash at unity gain or more is pretty darn transparent to my ears, it it's a really nice way to get a loop into something like the HX/DA. I haven't tried it with the HX/DA specifically, but I've used it live on several occasions to add a loop to the MDT, and it worked out great.

Sort of unrelated, but I find it strange that the Unleash is transparent as a re-amper (or when used at unity as a loop option) but it's less so as an attenuator. I'm no expert, but I think that the way that it works is that it attenuates to line level, which gets fed into the Class D amp to amp it up to whatever volume you want. So, when you set it to unity gain, end to end, you're actually attenuating and reamping. It doesn't seem that way in real life though, so maybe I'm all wet in my understanding.

In any case, my experience is that it is a great way to add a loop to something like the HX/DA.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer....truly appreciate it....this could go a long way to solve some of my issues...my curiousity is piqued in regard to the other points you brought up...I'm going to do some more research but your real world practical experience in a live setting is exactly what I was looking for...awesome...thank you.

My $.02...

You are spot-on correct, the time-based/modulation FX are cleaner thru a loop, period. My discovery was finding the right delay/echo that didn't freak out when I sent the overdriven signal thru it. The amp input had to get a comparable signal to that without the delay (more than just parity gain, tbh). Two made the cut for me, the Strymon El Capistan and the MXR Carbon Copy. Am I sacrificing some fidelity by keeping it up front? Yes, but I have complete guitar volume dynamics control. And since the SuperD doesn't have a loop, stock, I don't have much choice.

If you don't have a CC anymore, I can send you mind to check out.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Thanks man....I appreciate it...I'm running a CC and a HOF for delay and reverb....both freak out if everything isn't just right....I figured the unleash would be close to adding fx post everything similar to a sound engineer .....maybe I need to give the strymon a try.

i used to run some pretty crazy set ups with things in front and thru the loop when I was playing Mesa's, and River's exclusively....love the tone on the PRS amps...but want a little bit of grease and texture occasionally without mud.

I think that I pointed it out somewhere, but wanted to mention it again in this context given the topic of the original thread... You definitely CAN'T run an unleash before a head switcher like the radial. A loud bang, smoke and a very bad smell will happen (from the Unleash...don't ask me how I know...) Not sure what would happen if you ran it between the radial and the cab....but I'm not gonna try it...

got it loud and clear...don't blow anything up...check!

The 4 x 10's look cool too.

Just sayin'.

They are lighter than the 2 x 12's too, at only 39 pounds, my back thanks me on gig nights!

(Old pic, that is a great Solana Burst Willcutt's DC Ted that Alan and I shared, I no longer have it anymore. That amp and cab are still my main gigging rig up in Ottawa, Ontario.)
    Ted Club President