Thread: Cleaning stop tail bridge

Cleaning stop tail bridge

Long-time lurker, first time poster.

Just got a semi-hollow and I absolutely love it. My problem is that I do a lot of palm-muting and after a few months of playing the stop tail bridge is getting a little dull and greyish on the bass side.

What's the best way to clean/protect the bridge?

SE or core? I believe the SE's are nickel plated and the core line are solid aluminum... maybe? I encourage someone to correct me or confirm though.

The bridges on my SE's have all gotten a bit of tarnish as well. I try to wipe them down after each use, just to keep them purty, but they still tarnish a bit, and I just accept it as a sign of good guitar-lovin. But if there was some way to clean them up, I'd do it. I just fear that being too aggressive will further damage the nickel plating, or flake it off entirely.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

For a couple years I had replaced the stock stoptail with the adjustable version. After some serious use, it began to flake off and completely fall apart. I was bummed especially after paying some 300$ to order one in. So it seems to me at least that the PRS adjustable bridge is also nickel plated. The solid stoptail however, I have not had any problem with flaking yet, and overall is far easier to clean due to lack of little nooks and gaps for dirt to reside.

I should mention that my sweat is extremely corrosive and eats away at metals a lot more then most people I've seen. Might be the diet of italian subs and high life.

MAAS metal cleaner/polish. I've used it on a filthy bridge and it came out looking new...

Jamie
    ---Jamie---

My Gear

I use Flitz polish, works well. MAAS and Flitz are the 2 most commonly used in my research some years back. Both do a good job. Any auto store should have at least one of them or your big-box stores in the car care section.

Pup cover cleaned with Maas. Keep in mind you will never get nickel to look brand new once it has tarnished.

Before

After

Ron Lucas
    Guitar Center Cincinnati
    ronald.lucas@guitarcenter.com
    513-671-4555

Wow! Quite a difference! My SE Tremonti needs this treatment on the stoptail. I guess i'll be stopping at auto parts store tomorrow.