Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minding my own business, when...

Minding my own business, when...

I was. I was just minding my own business when I started feeling an ache on my right side. No, not near my appendix, higher and more to the back. And it grew and grew. It spread to encompass the whole side from my hip to under my ribs. Front to back. And it got worse.

It was unremitting and I could find no comfortable position. It progressed to the 'roll around on the floor' stage of agony. I was nauseous. On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being pass out, it was a solid 8 or 9.

An hour later it was gone, save for residual soreness. That was one damn long hour.

A CT scan Tuesday confirmed that I had passes a 2x3 mm jagged kidney stone. My first ( please let it be the last! ).

I got instructions to strain my 'production' to catch the little bugger for analysis. I caught it in a coffee filter yesterday. Small. Jagged. Vicious.

I'm back to about 95% with just a bit of residual soreness.

Even minding your own business is fraught with danger.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Glad you are mending. I passed one a few years back. They say it is as painful as childbirth for women. I would believe it. I had 3 more just waiting. They put me to sleep and (don't read this if you are sensitive) ran a long mechanical grabber tool up the wrong direction through the plumbing and into the kidneys and got those nasty buggers. Recovery was painful, but not as bad as passing them.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2008 Mira, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2012 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

My business partner had this happen to him. He still insists it was the worst pain he's ever experienced. Glad you made it through to the other side.
    Plank Owner

Duuude, kidney stones suck!

Glad you're feeling better. Just reading the story makes me shudder.

Quote Originally Posted by AP515 View Post
    Glad you are mending. I passed one a few years back. They say it is as painful as childbirth for women. I would believe it. I had 3 more just waiting. They put me to sleep and (don't read this if you are sensitive) ran a long mechanical grabber tool up the wrong direction through the plumbing and into the kidneys and got those nasty buggers. Recovery was painful, but not as bad as passing them.
    I hope there are no more, and certainly none that are larger because this procedure is not for me! My plumbing is ONE WAY ONLY.

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    My business partner had this happen to him. He still insists it was the worst pain he's ever experienced. Glad you made it through to the other side.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn@PRS View Post
    Duuude, kidney stones suck!
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Glad you're feeling better. Just reading the story makes me shudder.
    Thanks guys! You wouldn't think something so small could cause so much grief.

Small.

Jagged.

Vicious!
    Last edited by rugerpc; 10-10-2013 at 08:27 AM.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

Had one a few years back and can absolutely attest to unbearable pain only relieved by opiate based drugs.

Once it had all 'passed' the consultant advised me (totally serious and deadpan) to reduce or avoid cheese, red meat and wine. Better just shoot me instead!

Ouch, hoping that's something I don't experience. Glad you're feeling better.

dude. if it hurts then dont do it
    (DC 245 Ted / DGT / 513 / Santana / McShootout / Cu22 Rosewood / SAS / Cu22 Semi hollow / Sig LTD / Mira korina / HBII / SE Angelus Custom) >> {C, H, Dallas, Original Sewell}

DGT Club Vice President
    That's horrible! Didn't need this today. I'm sick and have some weird, intense stomach pain.

Uh oh.

mgd

DGTs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Duncan View Post
    That's horrible! Didn't need this today. I'm sick and have some weird, intense stomach pain.

Uh oh.
    I feel for ya, brother!

Have you been eating or drinking, er, well, anything? It turns out that everything is bad for us - even water.
    Thbbbbbt...

Glad you're feeling better!
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Man I gotta say, after reading the whole post, I'm actually glad it was a kidney stone... It sounded to me like you were detailing a major coronary event which would have sucked big time!!!

Hope you're done with those buggers for good...

The whole thing did bring to mind a line from one of my favorite songs. "Like a kidney stone, this too shall pass".

Watch, listen, enjoy...

-Jon

"I'm a sinner and I hope I never change"

Bummer! I'm glad you're feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    I was. I was just minding my own business when I started feeling an ache on my right side. No, not near my appendix, higher and more to the back. And it grew and grew. It spread to encompass the whole side from my hip to under my ribs. Front to back. And it got worse.

It was unremitting and I could find no comfortable position. It progressed to the 'roll around on the floor' stage of agony. I was nauseous. On a scale from 1 to 10, with 10 being pass out, it was a solid 8 or 9.

An hour later it was gone, save for residual soreness. That was one damn long hour.

A CT scan Tuesday confirmed that I had passes a 2x3 mm jagged kidney stone. My first ( please let it be the last! ).

I got instructions to strain my 'production' to catch the little bugger for analysis. I caught it in a coffee filter yesterday. Small. Jagged. Vicious.

I'm back to about 95% with just a bit of residual soreness.

Even minding your own business is fraught with danger.
    Brother I've felt your pain... 3 times.
    They can image to see if there are anymore... Be sure to follow up with the Dr., it they get "stuck", it's surgery.

Feel better!
    If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Sinner View Post
    Man I gotta say, after reading the whole post, I'm actually glad it was a kidney stone... It sounded to me like you were detailing a major coronary event which would have sucked big time!!!

Hope you're done with those buggers for good...

The whole thing did bring to mind a line from one of my favorite songs. "Like a kidney stone, this too shall pass".

Watch, listen, enjoy...

OOmph! We just had the cardiac scare with my wife - looks like it was gall bladder at this point - her ticker is good.

Jon - that video gave me chills it was so good - thank you! I never heard that song before.
    ...except for that riff is stuck in my head now....
    Thbbbbbt...

Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    Brother I've felt your pain... 3 times.
    They can image to see if there are anymore... Be sure to follow up with the Dr., it they get "stuck", it's surgery.

Feel better!
    Thankfully, the CT showed this one to be The Lone Ranger. My doc has it now for an analysis to see what I have to change in my diet to try to prevent any Tontos from coming along.... (Jon's video has affected my verbal imaging.... )
    Thbbbbbt...

Oh man these little buggers are the bane of my existence ... had 4 pass in the last 5 years and just finally had a CT scan and they found 5 little guys qued up in the left kidney and a 5-6mm one in the right...can't wait for the fun to begin haha. I hope that this was the first and last you ever experience Ruger, I wouldn't wish these on my worst enemy.

One trick that works for me is to limit my alcohol intake dramatically and limiting my dark leafy green veg intake (bye bye spinach dip). Nobody ever told me to stay away from booze but in my amateur field tests I discovered the hard way that a real good night with Jack Daniels is a sure fire way to kick a stone down the tubes!

Best of luck!

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    Jon - that video gave me chills it was so good - thank you! I never heard that song before.
    ...except for that riff is stuck in my head now....
    Man I'm glad you dig it!!!
    It is one of those riffs that just stays with you for sure.
    Puscifer is Maynard from Tool's other band.
    If you like "Momma Sed", definitely check out their other stuff...

Banned
    ... and here I thought letting someone else play any of my guitars made me squirm ... OUCH!