Thread: Combo Amp Question, please help!

Junior Member Texas_minor_blues's Avatar

Combo Amp Question, please help!

So currently I am playing through a Bogner 20th Anniversary Head and 2x12 cab. The problem is that I am now in an apartment and well I am rather fond of my apt and do not want to get evicted for noise, at 80 watts even at low volumes it is quite loud.
    So at this point I am looking for something in a single 12 Combo.
    I personally, am not really a Boogie fan so those are pretty much out. What I am mainly looking for is something similar to the Bogner but no more than 20-30 watts.

Rock to blues, maybe some country thrown in

Suggestions of all sorts, but I am definitely up for hearing about PRS choices
    Whale Blue 2008 McCarty w./ IRW neck / DGT IRW neck incoming
    Black Slate 513 w./ IRW neck
    PRS 2 Channel H + Bogner 20th Shiva
    EBMM BFR Petrucci 7 string (IRW neck)
    EBMM Mystic Dream 6 string (IRW neck )

I have heard Blackstar is a nice amp for the $$$
    I have an Egnater Tweaker 15 that I love
    also the 16watt PRS would be nice
    you could also go the power soak route
    PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII
    Others LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

Even 20-30 watts is loud. I believe the comparison goes something like: because of the way we hear, a 100 watt amp sounds twice as loud as a 10 watt amp. It takes a factor of ten to double the perceived volume. If you are really looking for good tone at much lower volume, look in the 5-16 watt range. You can bring the volume up and push hype tubes a little harder while still keeping the apartment!

The reason I said 5-16 is that it would include an awesome PRS amp--the Sweet 16. It won't have the gain on tap, and can still get too loud for an apartment, but it's a great sounding and feeling amp, and takes pedals really well.

This is going to sound ridiculous, so take it for what it is. I have a Fender Excelsior that I re-tubed and am about to replace the speaker. It's funky and retro, but is really addictive. They now sell an upgraded version, with a better speaker and I think they upgraded the tubes, too. It sounds great clean or cranked and won't kill you. I run a boost and an OD/distortion in front of it and it's petty cool...for $300.

Junior Member Texas_minor_blues's Avatar
    thank you for the suggestions! I am definitely looking at the sweet 16 for sure. I have tried the power soak but it is also a matter of physical size, the bogner and cab are pretty freakin big! Also found a limited 2 channel H that has 20 watts but I havent had the chance to play it (will on Wednesday though)
    Whale Blue 2008 McCarty w./ IRW neck / DGT IRW neck incoming
    Black Slate 513 w./ IRW neck
    PRS 2 Channel H + Bogner 20th Shiva
    EBMM BFR Petrucci 7 string (IRW neck)
    EBMM Mystic Dream 6 string (IRW neck )

I picked up a Marshall SL5 a while back. I can rattle the windows at 5w through a 212 or play at 5am at 1w through the combo 12" speaker without waking my wife upstairs.
    2013 LP R9 VOS
    2012 P22, IRW
    2013 SG Standard VOS
    Suhr PT 100 Amp, Forte 212 Cab
    Marshall Vintage Modern and SL5, Fishman Loudbox

The Sweet 16 can get some surprisingly full tone at a low volume if you're willing to use pedals - I found diming the master and then slowly bringing up the volume kept the most low frequencies, add in an overdrive pedal of your choosing, it should get a pretty good sound at a volume that the neighbors might not mind.

I'll admit almost every amp sounds better with the tubes really cookin', but sometimes what sounds 'best' just isn't practical.