Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bud Davis

Bud Davis

One of the nicest people you will ever meet is Mr. Bud Davis of Elizabethton, Tennessee. Bud is best known for painting the original "Metal Model" paint jobs from the Magnificent 6 / NAMM 20 era through 1991. Not many people know that Bud is still out there in the world painting guitars!

Around 2008, he was commissioned to paint 10 (If memory serves me) Private Stock guitars in the Metal motif. I believe that one of them was remade or refinished so I'm not sure if the count should be 11 or not. Anyway, they are pretty neat.

A few years later I got my hands on an alder CE24 and sent it to Bud (via the PTC). While I asked Bud to "do whatever [he] wanted" in terms of the paint scheme, I did make one request - to base it loosely off the black and flamed '86 Metal model owned (at the time) by my brother Markie. It came out amazing. Later, I learned that there were others who had done the same before me - and there were more that followed.

Bud's work is the most copied motif in PRS history and the Metal Model is as popular as ever. Who knew that a design so slow to take off would become one of the most expensive vintage PRS guitars (if you can find one) today.

So, in honor of Mr. Davis, please post your Metal model.

From Left to right: '94 CE24 (refin), '86 Metal (original), Markie's '94 CU22 (refin)

Last edited by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©; 10-01-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Correct error.
    One Life

Re: Bud Davis

Game on!

-Bob

-Bob

Most of you guys know the story...but quickly because my original story and public thanks were... well...misplaced (ahem)...This was my very first PRS. She was purchased new in 94. Unfortunately the guitar was stolen. I went through hell to get it back....finally succeeded years later in tracking her down. Life on the road hadn't been kind to her though...and the guitar sat in it's case a few more years before I got the courage to call Shawn to see what could be done...well these pictures speak volumes of what the PTC can do as craftsmen...and what Bud can do when left to his own creativity....but my goodness what cannot be conveyed is the tone and the playability...absolutely fantastic. Thank you again for all of the amazing effort, labor, and love that was put into the guitar. Bud Davis is a class act...and shared wonderful stories with me during this project...he takes amazing pride in his work...as he should. I hope I have another opportunity to work with him again down the line. The PTC guys...well you know I love ya. You are the best... Nobody is better! And to boot you made me feel like family. You won't find better people. Thank you again for making my Bud Davis/PTC Metal a reality.
    -Bob

Hey Hans and Bob,

Thank you for the opportunity to work with you and Bud Davis. Both of these projects were a lot of fun and Bud's work on them is just jaw dropping!

There is one more sibling out there, so maybe our friend from Indiana will chime in and show us what he's got .

I also wanted to say thank you to Hans and Markie...without you guys...I never would have thunk it!

Let's see some 2tek'd Bud Davis Metal! the cropping cut her off in the first picture!
    -Bob

I got this "94" from my buddy GCRon. This was Ron's personal Guitar & had stock Dragon 1 P-ups. The P-ups made it perfect for a metal (IMHO). I sent the Guitar to Seattle, where Hansen whacked a big-azzed hole in it & put a 2tek bridge in her. Hansen shipped the Guitar to Shawn & the PTC boys. They stripped, sanded, painted, spit, or whatever they do to get it ready for Bud. Shawn shipped it to Bud & Bud painted it. Bud shipped it back to the PTC where the boys did all the final buffing, set-up, & sprinkled Magic Dust on it for me. Then Shawn shipped it back to me. It was everything I had hoped for! FWIW: Bud is not so good with names anymore, but that's not so bad............. have fun with it!

Currently sporting a VR TR cover............ not pictured

Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Pretty spectacular stuff, there, guys!
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I never get tired of seeing Bud's work. Very cool stuff indeed.

Thanks for chiming in Markie, the trilogy is now complete

Sniff, I miss that guitar, sniff sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by markie
    I got this "94" from my buddy GCRon. This was Ron's personal Guitar & had stock Dragon 1 P-ups. The P-ups made it perfect for a metal (IMHO). I sent the Guitar to Seattle, where Hansen whacked a big-azzed hole in it & put a 2tek bridge in her. Hansen shipped the Guitar to Shawn & the PTC boys. They stripped, sanded, painted, spit, or whatever they do to get it ready for Bud. Shawn shipped it to Bud & Bud painted it. Bud shipped it back to the PTC where the boys did all the final buffing, set-up, & sprinkled Magic Dust on it for me. Then Shawn shipped it back to me. It was everything I had hoped for! FWIW: Bud is not so good with names anymore, but that's not so bad............. have fun with it!

Currently sporting a VR TR cover............ not pictured

Ron Lucas
    Guitar Center Cincinnati
    ronald.lucas@guitarcenter.com
    513-671-4555

Quote Originally Posted by GC Ron
    Sniff, I miss that guitar, sniff sniff.

I would too Ron....but look at it this way...You've gone and done a good thing...I mean look at the life Markie was able to provide her!

Killer Markie...I love how sleek yours looks...Looks like a seriously fast machine. Hans yours knocks me out every time I see it....color choices are amazing!

Now where are pics of all those that have come before?

I know z has had a few...Markie is the proud owner of the one in the middle in the first shot...there were a bunch more that were contributed on the "other" forum...that single cut hollow body comes to mind...
    -Bob

Not mine but beautiful!

I was at one point in time collecting any pics I saw of "metal" paint jobs. I always thought I would decide on my favorite scheme and have one done. I haven't added to this in quite a while but here is an album containing several of them.

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

This one is just photoshop right now... but someday....

What's the going rate for a Metal paint job? I'd love to have a CE or SAS Metalized.
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Quote Originally Posted by Brad737 View Post
    What's the going rate for a Metal paint job? I'd love to have a CE or SAS Metalized.
    Bud's work requires initial prep and the final finishing by the PTC. If I were you, I'd email Shawn and have him put together some numbers.

It's not going to be cheap. Bud raised his fee considerably after he did mine. That said, it's nice to have a Bud Davis Metal in the collection.
    One Life

DGT Club Vice President
    Wow! Bud Davis DGT? Yeah, that'd be über hot.

mgd

DGTs

I love hearing these stories. Thanks for sharing, guys!

Not a Bud Davis original, but my old "Metal Tribute" guitar, now moved on to a new owner...

Jamie

Dig the tribute Jamie...saw it hanging on the wall in your guitar room shot..was planning on asking you about it...very cool...hope it went to a good home. Who did the Metal job?
    -Bob