Thread: Pickup help

Pickup help

Hello . I have a singlecut with 7 pickups and I am at my wits end with the nickel needing constant attention to look good. I like the way the 7 pickups sound but am fed up with the crappy look. Can anyone recommend or have experience with a good open face/non covered pickup that will sound good in these guitars?

Squabbin 59/09s, available from the PRS shop

Just take the covers off. The difference in tone is subtle.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2008 Mira, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2012 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by AP515 View Post
    Just take the covers off. The difference in tone is subtle.
    And free.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    And free.

How do I remove covers without damaging pickups

Quote Originally Posted by 92LX View Post
    How do I remove covers without damaging pickups

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post

Thats sweet... Might give it a shot. Thanks. I'm either gonna do this or try some Bareknuckle Rebel yells or Dimarzio 36 PAF's

I think the tarnishing the nickle hardware takes on is more of a feature and not a bug. But to each his own.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    I think the tarnishing the nickle hardware takes on is more of a feature and not a bug. But to each his own.
    I hate it !!!! I have 4 PRS guitars and polish my hardware all the time .. My 3 Les Paul's never tarnish .. I wish PRS would use that same process..

408 Birds in the Sky megaboogie's Avatar
    My SC has SC250 pickups they sound rocking and screaming. Bareknuckle pickups will be cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    I dig it too.

My name be scrambled ElrytNamrogo's Avatar
    Thats sweet... Might give it a shot. Thanks. I'm either gonna do this or try some Bareknuckle Rebel yells or Dimarzio 36 PAF's
    I have a pair of Rebel Yells in a singlecut and they're great pickups. They're in an SE so I don't know how much different they would be in a Core model. They definitely have a bluesy feel to them with a little more top end. They clean up GREAT with a touch of the volume knob and stay pretty tight when overdriven. For me, the 57/08's provide the best tones for what I am looking for and they look really good with the contoured bobbins.....but, just like John Beef said, to each their own.
    Last edited by ElrytNamrogo; 10-17-2013 at 05:27 PM.
    --Tyler G--
    2012 PRS Custom 24
    - Burnt Maple Leaf 10-top
    2008 PRS Custom 22 - Santana Yellow - Rosewood Neck - 10-top
    PRS SE Singlecut Trem - Tobacco Sunburst -Grover Locking Tuners - Bareknuckle Rebel Yells - Push/Pull Volume and Tone - Graphtech Self Lubricating nut

Quote Originally Posted by ElrytNamrogo View Post
    I have a pair of Rebel Yells in a singlecut and they're great pickups. They're in an SE so I don't know how much different they would be in a Core model. They definitely have a bluesy feel to them with a little more top end. They clean up GREAT with a touch of the volume knob and stay pretty tight when overdriven. For me, the 57/08's provide the best tones for what I am looking for and they look really good with the contoured bobbins.....but, just like John Beef said, to each their own.

Im in really thinking rebel yells now

I hate it !!!! I have 4 PRS guitars and polish my hardware all the time .. My 3 Les Paul's never tarnish .. I wish PRS would use that same process..
    It depends on which Les Pauls you have but if they're anything other than Historics, they have chrome hardware, not nickel. Chrome doesn't tarnish the way nickel does, but IMHO it doesn't look as nice either.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana