Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So...I bought a bass

So...I bought a bass

Apologies right up front for those hoping to see a sweet GG PRS bass. I'm just not that financially committed to owning a bass, not being a proper bass player. I'd love to, maybe someday. So I stumbled upon a really great playing, great sustaining solid bass at a great price and I just couldn't not buy it. I've always had a fascination with bass and have wanted one for a long time. After Coop bought the bass out from under me when we were youngsters, I bought a guitar and never turned back.

I don't wanna say I'm bored with guitar, but I feel like I need something a little different to obsess about for a bit(not like I don't have enough things to work on or avenues to explore in guitar). When my kid started playing bass, I really enjoyed the process of gear hunting with him. It was something different and more exciting in the fact of not knowing exactly what I liked or what I was into. So I'm excited to learn a little bit of proper bass playing technique just for the sake of doing it and learning something different. I can't say I'll go completely b@lls out because I have my duties as a guitar player and that will still take the bulk of my time(and money), but I'm excited about it. For the time being, I won't get an amp since I'll mostly be playing & learning at my desk at quiet volumes. My iDevices will serve me well enough there. I'm sure I'll be hunting bass rigs soon enough, but I always have the kid's rig at home and I can always go to our jam spot and use my bass players big rig if I get the itch.

Playing another instrument seems to spark creativity. I know it has for me.

Rock on Vchizzle! The thunder calls and you answered!
    Plank Owner

For me also. I actually took bass lessons ten years back for a couple of years, from one of the guys who did Motown sessions after Jamerson passed away. It was pretty cool and a lot of fun.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Congrats! I like to fool around on bass too. I cheat though. I play my PRS through my Roland GR-55 with a bass patch, while I wait for a PRS SE bass.

Nice! Bass is a great way to to change your mindset, just don't do it like a guitarist!

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Congrats! I like to fool around on bass too. I cheat though. I play my PRS through my Roland GR-55 with a bass patch, while I wait for a PRS SE bass.
    You and me both (waiting on an SE)

Congrats on the bass, what kind did you get?

That's cool. What did you get? It'll make you a better guitar player and musician. My originals band has been drums, guitar and bass, with a couple different singers rotating through. The bss player was a guitar player that drew the short straw in a previous band, so he slipped into that role with us. He was a good guitar player, but really found a voice with bass, and made us a better band.

We've not had a singer for a little while, so we've been trading instruments. I'm amazed at how much I've grown over the last two years (not just in the waist, either). I started just like every other guitar player moving over. Once I started really listening to bass players, I started to get it. I played bass for a couple hours at this morning's practice. I just love sitting in the groove.

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    Apologies right up front for those hoping to see a sweet GG PRS bass. I'm just not that financially committed to owning a bass, not being a proper bass player. ...
    I focus 90% on bass, although I initially wanted to be a guitarist (I consider them to be two totally different instruments). I'm fascinated with how they're both built, but there's something about feeling those low vibrations through my body and watching the women move to the sound I'm making that has made bass my main instrument. Still looking for a place that has a Grainger to try out.
    I love 24 frets: 4 X CU24s, 2 X Carvin DC127s, 1 X Schechter Omen 6
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v410/lindseyp/Axes/

Quote Originally Posted by Coop View Post
    Playing another instrument seems to spark creativity. I know it has for me.
    Yes, absolutely.
    Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Nice! Bass is a great way to to change your mindset, just don't do it like a guitarist!
    Yes, that's what I'm after- different way of thinking and actually learning some proper bass playing techniques and being solid at them.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyT View Post
    You and me both (waiting on an SE)

Congrats on the bass, what kind did you get?
    Oh, I've been waiting for that SE too. I got a Fender Deluxe P bass special in a very Sergio approved finish. I've checked out a bunch basses in that price range new/used. This particular one seems really nice. Frets seems nice and level, no buzz. That has seemed iffy on a good deal low/mid price basses.

Hey!!! I bought a (non-PRS) bass today too!!! And it's blue.

Dude you're high. Stop posting false statements. I just can't believe it. Especially without pics.
    PRS Guitars - PS #4344 SC245, PS #4343 DC245, Ted SC245 Willcutt's WL Limited, Paul's Guitar
    PRS Amps - Archon

And now karma is going to get you for stealing Paul's car. Next week he's releasing the SE bass. In Sparkle Red.

And now karma is going to get you for stealing Paul's car. Next week he's releasing the SE bass. In Sparkle Red.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by yankeebulldog View Post
    Dude you're high.
    There is some truth to that, Alan.

Just to prove it:

Ha! I heard it was Stephen that tried to steal Paul's car... I no longer care what color a guitar is, I only see what color it should, and will be... I alone am responsible to become the master of my aesthetic.

You put P-Rails in one of your creations?!

Awesome!
    Plank Owner

boom boom is fun sometimes V.... .. enjoy it !

being in retail for 25 yrs. I had to demo basses (for a minute or so) lots and lots.. got reasonable at slapping and always wanted a good bass....

this clip pushed me over the edge at EXP.. I must have been sitting right beside the guy who posted this clip on U-TOOOBE.. thx dude !

Quote Originally Posted by brentmoss View Post
    .. I must have been sitting right beside the guy who posted this clip on U-TOOOBE.. thx dude !
    You were. I remember seeing you. Good to know I helped sell something to you, as you helped me get a guitar at EXP2012.

Congrats on the awesome new bass!

My Son is a bass player so I had to figure out bass gear a while back. I finally bought myself a Deluxe Jazz Bass last year... There were times as a Drummer I'd grab my Boy's base and learn a bass part to better understand the Drum part...

More MUSIC is more better

Enjoy the NBD!

Edit... Sergio with a BLUE (bass) Guitar, what's the world coming too.
    If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!

You were. I remember seeing you. Good to know I helped sell something to you, as you helped me get a guitar at EXP2012.

Congrats on the awesome new bass!
    HA !! .. well thx dude !