Thread: SE Custom 24 - Pro guitar??

SE Custom 24 - Pro guitar??

I've been playing guitar for 5 years at this point, and for the past 3, I've been playing an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Theres nothing wrong with my Les Paul, its been a great guitar, but I've been wanting to go more pro lately. I can't afford to buy a true $3000 PRS, so I've been looking at the SE Custom 24. What are your opinions? Is it a good guitar? Or is it no better than an epiphone? I don't want to waste any money on a guitar thats really just another beginner guitar. All answers appreciated!
    Rock on, good people!

Great guitars and unbeatable for the price. With that being said, have you checked out the new S2 line? They sound like they are made exactly for you! Maryland made, high quality instruments but affordably priced.

http://prsguitars.com/s2series/
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    Gotta echo Mike on this one. SE guitars are fantastic and some are truly marvelous instruments.

If you can swing it, check into the S2 line and get that Made In Maryland quality and peace of mind.

However, I don't think you'd be disappointed with either...

If I were in your position, looking for a nice guitar to last and perform well, I would definitely look at the S2's. Then again, S2's weren't around when I got my SE's, and I've been very pleased with them. Go for what you can afford, either way you won't be disappointed!
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE 30 Head/Cab

I recently bought a PRS SE 245 for my 17yr old nephew. He's been playing a Gibson Les Paul Studio for past couple of years. His comment on the PRS was that it was the best guitar he's ever played - given the fact he hasn't played that many, it does speak to his opinion of the LP. The 245 is setup exactly like the LP, but he prefers it over the LP. If you're playing an Epiphone LP, then I would imagine you'll be as floored as he was by the differences in quality & detail. I think that's what my nephew is talking about when he says it "just feels better". It's the little details, the tuning stability, especially when changing from standard to alternate tunings like he does. I would assume the Epiphone has a wide/fat neck shape that's standard on them. The SE line has either wide/thin or wide/fat as neck options, so may feel more familiar to you if you go with a wide/fat. The S2 line mentioned above has the PRS Pattern neck shape and this may not feel the same to you. Ultimately, you want a guitar the feels right, sounds right, and inspires you to play your best.

As for being more "professional", I'll just have to say this:

No instrument is "professional" or "amateurish" - the player is. If you play for money, you're professional. If you play for fun, you're an amateur (for the love of). The instrument is meaningless in this context, since you can be professional with a $50 pawn shop beater or an amateur with a $12,000 PRS Private Stock. What you make of it is what determines if it's professional or not.

If a PRS feels more comfortable, sounds more pleasing, and thus makes you play better - then that's the way to go. If you have no issues with the Epiphone, then I'm not sure what you're expecting with a PRS.

FWIW, I was at a store this weekend and played a PRS SE One. It is a minimalist type guitar, one P90 pickup, one knob (volume). No tone knob, no tremolo, just simple raw P90. Although I have 3 US built PRS guitars, and the SE One is the most inexpensive PRS SE I've ever found - I had an absolute blast with it! It was just pure fun playing the thing, really grungy punk grit to that pickup. I'm trying to decide whether I want to grab it while I can, just because it'll be so much fun to just rock out on it. I would think that's the type of impact that should drive your decision.

Y'know, when you're asking this question on the PRS forum, you know what answer you'll get! :haha: Just kidding...

One big thing to consider here is the bridge. The trem bridge is way different from stoptails and if you're not familiar with set-up, that's something you need to look at before buying. You get all the similar appointments on the Epi and the SE. Quality wood, substantial hardware and all that basics. After all, the SEs were directly rivals for Epiphones. But if you're looking to "really" upgrade, I'd suggest you look at the S2 series. They're kinda like the Gibson Studio, price-wise, but you get the USA-made PRS quality, with a few cost-cutting measures. You get a great guitar straight out of the box, nothing needs to be replaced or modded, imo.

The only thing I can tell you is to go out and try the SEs in person and judge it by your own opinion. If you feel that it's an upgrade over the Epi, by all means go ahead and make your purchase and join our family! Or you could take a look at the S2 range, try it, be satisfied, purchase and still join our family!
    Last edited by maxtuna26; 10-22-2013 at 11:37 AM.

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBirds View Post
    No instrument is "professional" or "amateurish" - the player is. If you play for money, you're professional. If you play for fun, you're an amateur (for the love of). The instrument is meaningless in this context, since you can be professional with a $50 pawn shop beater or an amateur with a $12,000 PRS Private Stock. What you make of it is what determines if it's professional or not.
    Incredibly well said!
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2000 CU22 Semi-Hollow | 2003 & 04 SE EG
    2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar | 2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited | 2012 NF3
    2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar | 2013 Hollowbody II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited
    2013 CU24 | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow | 2014 S2 CU22 Semi-Hollow

As a matter of fact, quite a few well-known PRS endorsers gig (and record) with SEs. For real. And they're not Maryland PRSes disguised to look like SEs, either.

The S2 line also looks very cool, though I haven't tried one yet.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...