Thread: SE EG

SE EG

I was wondering in what years the SE EG was produced. I searched but I couldn't find any information of which SE models where produced in what years. I understand they were produced for a short time, but how short? Both of my SE EG's are from 2004, so at least they were produced in 2004.

And why were they discontinued? Is it the sales, because people interested in strat-like guitar expect a stratlike headstock? That's the only thing I can imagine. It's just a really nice guitar. That's why I couldn't resist buying another one when I had the chance. One to keep original, one for modding.

Is there anywhere a complete overview of all SE models and their years of production?

Mine is from 2003, so we've got 2 years of production at least. Heh.

From what I've found, it looks like the SSS was made '03-'06, and the HSS version in '05-'06.

It would be nice if there was a site dedicated to SE history. They have created so many different models over the years, it's hard to keep track of them. Seems like most SE models only last for a few years before they're replaced.
    --Garrett--

+1, that would be great.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Yup mine's a "F" (2005 SSS).

The SE's seem to have way more major updates than the core models, which tend to be evolutions and tweaks.

Put a VY '85 CU24 next to a VY '13 CU24 and most people couldn't spot the differences. Try doing that with the first and latest SE Santana...

Quote Originally Posted by justmund View Post
    Yup mine's a "F" (2005 SSS).

The SE's seem to have way more major updates than the core models, which tend to be evolutions and tweaks.

Put a VY '85 CU24 next to a VY '13 CU24 and most people couldn't spot the differences. Try doing that with the first and latest SE Santana...
    Truth. The whole concept of the SE line has evolved quite a bit IMO. The genesis of the first SE Santana, as I understand it, was from Carlos urging Paul to make a line of instruments that students could afford (and no, I'm not about to get into whether SE stands for student edition). "SE Santana" was just as much about concept than the guitar's specific design. It was basically an SE version of a custom 22. Then a few sig models start popping up that are basic SE designs with a slight cosmetic tweak (Tremonti, Navarro, Allender). And now, almost every new SE in the last few years is a sig or standard model is exclusive to the SE line. The quality reputation has carried them a long way. Pretty cool if you ask me!
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    It would be nice if there was a site dedicated to SE history. They have created so many different models over the years, it's hard to keep track of them. Seems like most SE models only last for a few years before they're replaced.
    This seems like the ideal place for it, maybe we should put something like that together.

Anyone have the list of serial number prefixes and their corresponding years?
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

Quote Originally Posted by andy474x View Post
    Anyone have the list of serial number prefixes and their corresponding years?
    It's on the PRS site, but it's simple starts with A then it's 2000, B is 2001, C is 2002.. well you get the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    This seems like the ideal place for it, maybe we should put something like that together.
    Yes, that would be nice.

I'd be up for this, I own 2 SEs myself and have access to about 8 more belonging to various friends. It could be a fun project.

In the same format as the core models on the PRS site would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel View Post
    It's on the PRS site, but it's simple starts with A then it's 2000, B is 2001, C is 2002.. well you get the picture.
    Ah, thanks! So...

A = 2000
    B = 2001
    C = 2002
    D= 2003
    E = 2004
    F = 2005
    G = 2006
    H = 2007
    I = 2008
    J = 2009
    K = 2010
    L = 2011
    M = 2012
    N = 2013

So, you gents with SE EG's, let's get some EG production dates, eh?