Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Big, Warm, Solo Tones...

For Big, Warm, Solo Tones...

I prefer humbuckers for single note work. I like fat, warm tones.

In fact, I roll the treble off a bit, both on the guitar and amp, to make that happen.

I was once a single coil (mostly P-90) devotee, but I've become addicted to buckers. How does the rest of the gang roll?
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

I put 408's in single coil neck for rock and roll shred destruction.
    Plank Owner

I change faster than the Chicago weather.
    Have them all ( Hums , singles , P-90 , 408s )
    PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII
    Others Knaggs Kenai, LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

All over the place as well - flip the switches on the 408 a ton. And I really don't have a problem playing the "wrong" coil on a part (I'll pop a single coil on an Ozzy song!).

But if push came to shove...humbuckers. It's all about the girth. And the folks who saw me at Experience know - I have girth.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

I was severely impressed Herr Squid's Avatar
    This is massive nitpicking, but I've never quite found the perfect balance of girth and chime. 95% of the time I play humbuckers and I'm happy with them, but there's something about the sound of a Strat neck pickup that a humbucker just can't duplicate. Regular humbuckers are just a little wooly on the top end, but Fender-style single coils are just a little too weedy and thin. P90s aren't quite perfect either, and NFs are just a touch bolder than I want them to be compared to Fender single coils.

Are 408s the answer...?

Yes 408's are def the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Squid View Post
    Are 408s the answer...?

Narrow 408 or DD2 get me there.
    One Life

Quote Originally Posted by Herr Squid View Post
    Are 408s the answer...?
    Not sure there is a "the" answer, but they sure an "an" answer. Great, great pickups.

Depends on what I'm playing! If a genie popped up and said I could only have one type of pickup for the rest of my life it would be P90s. But there is a place for 'buckers and you'd have to pull my Strat & Tele (esque) guitars from my cold dead hands anyway too.

Also, soloing is so passť.
    PS Starla (burnt orange smokeburst), Starla (vintage cherry, IRW neck, birds), HBII (faded gray black 'double' 10-top), HB12 (black gold), NF3 (antique white/birds), 25th ann. Mira 245 (frost blue metallic), KL1812, 2011 'Stripped' 58 (goldtop)

I love a good humbucker... putting 57/08's in my Akesson SE was the best gear decision I think I've ever made. That thing is thick like molasses on a cold day. Single coils are ok, I like em for cleans and light OD, but humbuckers have that mid push that really defines things, and aren't too ice picky in the bridge position.

That being said, I REALLY would like to get a P90 axe, those things are thick and rowdy all at the same time. I have been infinitesimally close to buying a Mira soapbar on more than one occasion. Last spring a shop in Canada was blowing one out, almost bought it but their shipping policy was shady as hell, and I wasn't about to mess with sending a hunk of wood through US customs from a sender that didn't have their act together. Then a beautiful scarlet smokeburst came up for a screamin deal on VR a few weeks ago, I was scrambling to sell a guitar and when I finally did... she was gone. The quest continues.
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Quote Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
    Also, soloing is so passť.
    Ha!

No.

59/09 pups in the neck position.....Sweet tones. All I need
    SE Singlecut with 59/09's | G&L S-500 | Vox AC15CI

408 Birds in the Sky megaboogie's Avatar
    I roll with 408's too, they are the big, warm solo tones for me.

What! No love for the 53-10s' ! I am intrigued by the 408s and will have to see what this is all about. The 53-10s in humbucker or single coil mode are the sweet spot for me. My favorite position with my ME is both 53-10 pups in single coil mode. Heavenly!

Quote Originally Posted by Audie View Post
    What! No love for the 53-10s' ! I am intrigued by the 408s and will have to see what this is all about. The 53-10s in humbucker or single coil mode are the sweet spot for me. My favorite position with my ME is both 53-10 pups in single coil mode. Heavenly!
    I would love to get my hands on a set, but they're so hard to find. Plus I need a guitar to put them in...
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    I have been using the middle rotary position on my Standard 24 alot for this lately, which according to the official web site is "Position 8: Series single coils – Warm version of the "in between the treble and middle pickups""

and +1 for the 408s, in the neck, in single-coil mode for leads...also excellent clean combined with bucker bridge.
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2003 & 04 SE EG SSS | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited | 2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar
    2013 Hollowbody II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow
    2013 S2 Mira | 2013 CU24 | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

Single coils... in front of a fireplace.

I like Humbuckers for pretty much everything. I like the 250 Treble for a more cutting tone and use a 250 bass or #7 bass for cleaner tones (neck and bridge at different volumes). I try to use the middle position as a thicker distorted sound for Rhythm and then toggle to one pup or the other for clean / lead.

EDIT: I don't think I really answered the topic of Big Warm solo tones... I have the amp setup fairly warm and I get the warmer tones from the Neck and its usually kept fairly clean.
    Last edited by Gnal; 10-24-2013 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Audie View Post
    Oh, I have a lot of love for 53/10s. Had 'em on my last Singlecut. I'd have ordered the next one with them again, but they're no longer available, much to my chagrin.

I do have one with 57/08s being built.

But the 53/10s are special pickups, no doubt.

For that warm solo tone, I love both position, single coil and bucker, on my neck pickup in both PG and 408
    Paul's Guitar in Copper, 408MT Brazilian Neck in Black Gold
    1987 Gibson Les Paul Pre-Historic '59, Fender Stratocaster American Vintage '57
    Musicman JP6 full option in Mystic Dream, Gibson Explorer with EMG 81-85 in Black