Thread: Shipping a guitar... advice?

Shipping a guitar... advice?

I'm considering sending my guitar to the PTC for a set of 57/08's. I've never shipped a guitar, and I have concerns. I'm in southern California so it's got a ways to go. I have the box and bubble wrap from when it was shipped from the factory to GC, so I don't need a shipping kit (right?). What are your experiences? UPS? USPS? Fed Ex? Insurance? I've witnessed the UPS guy tossing boxes over my hedges like it was a sport...

It's an artist HBII and the case seems pretty durable to me (best case I've ever had). Advice?

ULINE

New boxes and bubble wrap. Shipping a higher value guitar I'll double box, double bubble.
    Plank Owner

Take photographs of your packing. UPS will automatically deny your claim citing "shipper's negligence." Twice I have successfully disputed their denials with my photos.
    Also, be sure and pack the INSIDE of the guitar case so that there is no possible movement. Take photos!
    Finally, use the same (or similar) box that the manufacturer uses. I have successfully used the argument that my packaging was superior to the original manufacturer's.
    If you have a claim, it is likely that you will have a fight on your hands. I have yet to have a claim payed without one, but if you cover your tracks, you should be fine.
    Sh*tter's full

Defender of the Universe HANGAR18's Avatar
    Maybe a Pelican case http://www.pelican.com/ wrapped in bubble wrap and put inside a cardboard box.
    MEGADETH - METALLICA - JUDAS PRIEST - IRON MAIDEN - SLAYER - BLACK LABEL SOCIETY - TED NUGENT - AC/DC - TWISTED SISTER - KISS - CHEAP TRICK - ZZ TOP

PTC sells a shipping kit...I think it's $85 ...check the PTC page on the website and scroll to the bottom

408 Birds in the Sky megaboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 11top View Post
    Take photographs of your packing. UPS will automatically deny your claim citing "shipper's negligence." Twice I have successfully disputed their denials with my photos.
    Also, be sure and pack the INSIDE of the guitar case so that there is no possible movement. Take photos!
    Finally, use the same (or similar) box that the manufacturer uses. I have successfully used the argument that my packaging was superior to the original manufacturer's.
    If you have a claim, it is likely that you will have a fight on your hands. I have yet to have a claim payed without one, but if you cover your tracks, you should be fine.
    Good advice.

I have a question for you and others who might know, something I've always been wondering...
    I've purchased many guitars thru online shops from $1k to $4k and most of the times they were not double-boxed, minimal bubblewraps, and no packing job inside the case.
    How do they get away with it? are they shipping without insurance?! or do insurance work differently with a business than a personal?

Quote Originally Posted by toothace View Post
    PTC sells a shipping kit...I think it's $85 ...check the PTC page on the website and scroll to the bottom
    This! It's a no brainer - what makes it a no brainer is it INCLUDES the return shipping to PRS. ;-)

Shipped my P22 back to the PTC for the SKITCHY single coil mod. Shipping kit takes all of the hassle out of it.
    If I thought I was going to live this long I'd have taken better care of myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Rango View Post
    This! It's a no brainer - what makes it a no brainer is it INCLUDES the return shipping to PRS. ;-)

Shipped my P22 back to the PTC for the SKITCHY single coil mod. Shipping kit takes all of the hassle out of it.
    If it's paid who do they use? Also, what shipping rate? (Next day? 2 day?) I would prefer a faster shipping so the guitar has less time "out there" where something can go wrong.

If you haven't seen a HB artist case, it's the most tight fitting and sturdy case I've ever seen. No room for interior packing.