Thread: Pattern Thin VS Wide/Thin. Is there a difference?

Hybrid View

Pattern Thin VS Wide/Thin. Is there a difference?

If any, then what is it?

IMHO, the Wide/Thin neck is one of the best playing necks ever made ...
    So have great curiosity (or you can even say 'concern') that it no might be discontinued at some point ,,,

Just found this thread. In an effort to find a CU24 with a 59/09 and 5-way blade I came across a Quilt Top with a Pattern Thin Rosewood Neck today. Boy, was I really disappointed with the way it felt on my hands. It definitely felt more Ibanez-like; seems to have less shoulder than W/T. Anyway, I AM keeping my CU24 Artist with a Wide Thin neck unless I find a really nice Pattern, or Pattern Regular at the least.
    Starla (2010); Mira (2009); Performance Relic Strat w/ Ramos Neck; 1985 48th St Custom Shop Custom Tele; Martin 000-18; Peavey Classic 30.

This video explains the differences:

The Wide/Thin was a design that was carved and then digitized for reproduction via CNC. The Pattern Thin is actually designed in a CAD program (probably using the original digitized design as a starting point). This allows for much greater precision and control of the smoothness, depth, and curve in the basic design. I doubt that it's significantly different from the old Wide/Thin.
    Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    You should post a pic of BM so we know it's real.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    This video explains the differences:

The Wide/Thin was a design that was carved and then digitized for reproduction via CNC. The Pattern Thin is actually designed in a CAD program (probably using the original digitized design as a starting point). This allows for much greater precision and control of the smoothness, depth, and curve in the basic design. I doubt that it's significantly different from the old Wide/Thin.
    Thanks for the video. I guess the difference is that the Wide Thin on my '05 CU24 Artist feels slightly thicker (since, it was hand carved?) than the Pattern Thin. ALSO, since the Rosewood neck is not coated I'd think there is a noticeable feel difference than one that's coated. In addition, you note that Pattern Thin was derived OUT of the digitized Wide Thin as a STARTING point which would explain that Pattern Thin is perhaps thinner than Wide Thin or whichever digitized Wide Thin carve they started off as.
    Starla (2010); Mira (2009); Performance Relic Strat w/ Ramos Neck; 1985 48th St Custom Shop Custom Tele; Martin 000-18; Peavey Classic 30.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    you note that Pattern Thin was derived OUT of the digitized Wide Thin as a STARTING point
    That's an assumption on my part. It would make sense if they did that. They could have just designed a whole new neck shape from scratch in the CAD program shown in the video, but that seems like more work than it's worth to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    They could have just designed a whole new neck shape from scratch in the CAD program shown in the video, but that seems like more work than it's worth to me.
    I hope not. I'm an industrial/ product designer and CAD is a just a tool, and it can never replace design or craft done by hand.

I do think that, when it comes to Rosewood necks, and whatever the neck carve, they DO feel thinner because they don't come with a coating.

I have WT, WF, and PT. I am a WT guy and love my Tremonti SE Custom (partly) because of that. I LOVE my '94 CE24 partly because of it's WT carve. I use my McSoapy for slide only partly because of it's WF carve that I don't really like to "play" the WF carve. I have a PT carve on my Studio and it sure doesn't feel very WT-ish to me. Not at ALL! Of course it's thinner than a WF but it's not a WT by ANY stretch.
    I think (maybe it does?) the CU24FR should come in WT carve. Or even WrTr (WiderThinner). My CE's WT is VERY T. Thinner than my SE's WT at least it FEELS that way.
    Also worth noting that it doesn't take many /64ths of an inch to feel a LOT different. And a different shoulder (as in C,V,U...) can really change the perceived feel of a neck.

I'm kinda surprised they went with the Pattern family. The lovers of the beefy '50s Gibby necks seem to have thought the WF wasn't F enough. I always thought my CE's WT was the perfect amount of T.
    The pattern carves kinda seem like "meh" or neither here nor there.
    Disclaimer: I have not felt a Pattern or Pattern Regular.

I LOVE WT carves. I do NOT LOVE PT carves. I like them though.
    YMMV of course.

EDIT: Btw, writing a new program to cut the necks isn't much work or time consuming at all. It would take under an hour (under a half hour? Under 15 minutes?) to write a program to make one out of steel or aluminum on a CNC machining center. I'd imagine it wouldn't take any longer with wood. Maybe even faster since you could probably take fewer (deeper) cuts?
    Last edited by blaren; 01-14-2014 at 08:34 PM.