Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pattern Thin VS Wide/Thin. Is there a difference?

Pattern Thin VS Wide/Thin. Is there a difference?

If any, then what is it?

IMHO, the Wide/Thin neck is one of the best playing necks ever made ...
    So have great curiosity (or you can even say 'concern') that it no might be discontinued at some point ,,,

Re: Pattern Thin VS Wide/Thin. Is there a difference?

No one knows... do you mean I have to do a little research on my own ,,, Shame :geek:

Have you played the pattern thin yet? It's not radically different - I think the pattern necks just feel like a worn in version of their previous. kinda like it's been played for 15-20 years.

Pattern thin feels different to me. Not sure, but perhaps a little more meat in the middle???????????
    Fanboy of the Jester (AKA) James (Previously known as 11top)

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle
    Have you played the pattern thin yet? It's not radically different - I think the pattern necks just feel like a worn in version of their previous. kinda like it's been played for 15-20 years.
    Thanks ....

No I haven't played one yet ... what you wrote sounds great ...
    Curiosty looms ... lol

The pattern WT has slightly softer shoulders or is a little more of a V neck. It is basically the same difference as between WF and pattern.
    Bill

PRS Private Stock #3568
    PRS Swamp Ash Special
    Mesa Mark V combo
    Fishman Loudbox Artist

Quote Originally Posted by wilerty
    The pattern WT has slightly softer shoulders or is a little more of a V neck. It is basically the same difference as between WF and pattern.
    This. And it's super-comfortable. I'm generally pretty agnostic about neck shapes -- I readily adapt to different ones -- but I do like it when they shave the shoulders some. (or when they get played into that shape over time!)

Quote Originally Posted by wilerty
    OH NO ... V necks scare me off ...(even slightly V)
    Is the Wide/Thin still an option?

Joe, there's no "V" at the bottom at all. It's just that there is less shoulder.

There's definitely no 'V' in it. If anything, Pattern Thin is the most 'Ibanez' type neck PRS has produced. (Although it's nowhere close to an Ibanez, I'm just making the analogy).

And I feel it is moreso in that direction than the Wide/Thin was.
    ►★*PrSi-4-EvA*★◄

Quote Originally Posted by The Ratchet
    There's definitely no 'V' in it. If anything, Pattern Thin is the most 'Ibanez' type neck PRS has produced. (Although it's nowhere close to an Ibanez, I'm just making the analogy).

And I feel it is moreso in that direction than the Wide/Thin was.
    Kind of like a Wizard neck would you say ...?

No, no PRS neck is as slim and fast as an Ibanez wizard neck.

That said, my Cu22 and Tremonti are wide thin and very comfortable, I battle with the neck on the 513 I have :?

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopygore71
    No, no PRS neck is as slim and fast as an Ibanez wizard neck.

That said, my Cu22 and Tremonti are wide thin and very comfortable, I battle with the neck on the 513 I have :?
    Yes ... I was once very interested in a 513 until I actually played it ...
    totally killed my interest because I felt the neck kind-a clumsy (IMO) ^ took away from the PRS mystic playability vibe ...lol

Just found this thread. In an effort to find a CU24 with a 59/09 and 5-way blade I came across a Quilt Top with a Pattern Thin Rosewood Neck today. Boy, was I really disappointed with the way it felt on my hands. It definitely felt more Ibanez-like; seems to have less shoulder than W/T. Anyway, I AM keeping my CU24 Artist with a Wide Thin neck unless I find a really nice Pattern, or Pattern Regular at the least.
    Modern Eagle I SC Trem NOS (2007); 2005 Custom 24 Artist; 1994 Standard 24; 1996 Tom Anderson Drop Top Koa; 1985 48th St Custom Shop Custom Tele; 1983 Guild S281; 1956 Gibson ES225TD; Breedlove C25/SME; Dr. Z Mas 18NR; Rivera Quiana Studio; Peavey Classic 30.

This video explains the differences:

The Wide/Thin was a design that was carved and then digitized for reproduction via CNC. The Pattern Thin is actually designed in a CAD program (probably using the original digitized design as a starting point). This allows for much greater precision and control of the smoothness, depth, and curve in the basic design. I doubt that it's significantly different from the old Wide/Thin.
    Quote Originally Posted by gush View Post
    You should post a pic of BM so we know it's real.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    This video explains the differences:

The Wide/Thin was a design that was carved and then digitized for reproduction via CNC. The Pattern Thin is actually designed in a CAD program (probably using the original digitized design as a starting point). This allows for much greater precision and control of the smoothness, depth, and curve in the basic design. I doubt that it's significantly different from the old Wide/Thin.
    Thanks for the video. I guess the difference is that the Wide Thin on my '05 CU24 Artist feels slightly thicker (since, it was hand carved?) than the Pattern Thin. ALSO, since the Rosewood neck is not coated I'd think there is a noticeable feel difference than one that's coated. In addition, you note that Pattern Thin was derived OUT of the digitized Wide Thin as a STARTING point which would explain that Pattern Thin is perhaps thinner than Wide Thin or whichever digitized Wide Thin carve they started off as.
    Modern Eagle I SC Trem NOS (2007); 2005 Custom 24 Artist; 1994 Standard 24; 1996 Tom Anderson Drop Top Koa; 1985 48th St Custom Shop Custom Tele; 1983 Guild S281; 1956 Gibson ES225TD; Breedlove C25/SME; Dr. Z Mas 18NR; Rivera Quiana Studio; Peavey Classic 30.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    you note that Pattern Thin was derived OUT of the digitized Wide Thin as a STARTING point
    That's an assumption on my part. It would make sense if they did that. They could have just designed a whole new neck shape from scratch in the CAD program shown in the video, but that seems like more work than it's worth to me.

I do think that, when it comes to Rosewood necks, and whatever the neck carve, they DO feel thinner because they don't come with a coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    They could have just designed a whole new neck shape from scratch in the CAD program shown in the video, but that seems like more work than it's worth to me.
    I hope not. I'm an industrial/ product designer and CAD is a just a tool, and it can never replace design or craft done by hand.