Thread: PRS P22 string break problem...any ideas?

PRS P22 string break problem...any ideas?

Bought a fantastic new P22 a few months back, no trem orange tiger. Problem is I keep breaking strings top E, D & A, all at the saddle. Took it back, the shop cleaned up the saddles which looked ok really, but no improvement. I get one gig out of a set of Daddario 10-46 before strings start to go. I will be taking it back again but wanted to see if anyone else has seen this issue. I played a Les Paul Deluxe before this and never had a problem. The string tension feels tight on compared to the Les Paul even though the scale length is shorter, is that something to do with the bridge design and the angle of the string across the saddle? Looking for ideas really.

Never have heard of a guitar with an issue on that many strings. Do you play with a heavy picking hand? I've always restrung for every gig because I know I play harder and sweat a lot more. More of a I don't wanna risk breaking a string than anything. I will rehearse on those strings post show until either the next show or til they break or don't hold pitch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vchizzle View Post
    Never have heard of a guitar with an issue on that many strings. Do you play with a heavy picking hand? I've always restrung for every gig because I know I play harder and sweat a lot more. More of a I don't wanna risk breaking a string than anything. I will rehearse on those strings post show until either the next show or til they break or don't hold pitch as well.
    I do play hard sometimes and sweat too but never had this problem on the LP. I'm gigging every week so don't want to get into changing strings that often. I've read the string 'break angle' over the saddle makes a difference to string breaks.

I bought a used 2011 cu24 last year and it was breaking A and D strings. Could only get one 4 hour show out of a set of strings. I switched from 9s to 10s and filed saddles. Took care of it for a while but I'm going to have to replace saddles very soon.

I play too hard but I really don't think this should be considered normal. I will replace strings after 2-3 four hour shows.

Please let me know what you figure out. thanks.

I was breaking a few strings on my P22 Stoptail as well, changed my attack, and not snapping them anymore.
    Current Herd: PRS P22 Eriza Verde / PRS Singlecut Hollowbody II Trampas Green / PRS SE 30 1x12
    Future additions to herd : Pauls Guitar / Angelus Custom / SE Korina One / Archon and 2x12 and if they ever release a SE or S2 Bass

I've been doing some more trawling and reading...So far my theory goes...The stoptail bridge with the sharp 'break angle' over the saddle stops the string moving across the saddle and gives you that tight feel to the strings which feels nice for control and I suspect helps tone. The downside is the string has more downward force on the saddle and wears more quickly and then breaks. Filing the saddles down will reduce the break angle and should help....seems a bit drastic on a $3.5K new guitar though!!!

Nigel post in the PTC forum and see what they suggest. I agree on a new guitar, I would expect different.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    The string tension feels tight on compared to the Les Paul even though the scale length is shorter, is that something to do with the bridge design and the angle of the string across the saddle? Looking for ideas really.
    The scale length on a P-22 is longer, which will contribute to a tighter feel on the P-22. I'm not familiar with those piezo bridges at all, can't comment further.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

I wouldn't suggest filing anything - each saddle has a piezo on it. Contact PTC and ask them.