Thread: Value of CE24 after replacing 5-way rotary switch

Value of CE24 after replacing 5-way rotary switch

Guys,

Have a curious question. I'm considering having the 5-way rotary switch replaced on my '96 CE24 with a 3-way toggle and coil tap & phase selector push/pull switches (not push/pull pots). I think doing this will make the guitar more playable when gigging live. The rotary switch is a real drag live. Do you think this will hurt the value of this guitar, or help? Has anyone else put switches instead of push/pull pots?

Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by travis_tompkins View Post
    Guys,

Have a curious question. I'm considering having the 5-way rotary switch replaced on my '96 CE24 with a 3-way toggle and coil tap & phase selector push/pull switches (not push/pull pots). I think doing this will make the guitar more playable when gigging live. The rotary switch is a real drag live. Do you think this will hurt the value of this guitar, or help? Has anyone else put switches instead of push/pull pots?

Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance.
    Since its not a limited edition or collectable outside of being a finely made PRS guitar, go for it - it won't affect anything. I would retain it though incase you want to change it back.
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

A few thingts to consider. IMO if you change to a 3 way and push/pull, you don't change the resale value much because that is a standard PRS wiring configuration and a lot of people do it. Changing to switches will impact the value some because you have to drill holes and most won't want non-reversible changes to the guitar. This will dramatically reduce the number of interested buyers. I'd do it with push/pulls on both pots if I was going to try it. I would not make any non-reversible changes.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

There have been many, many, many people do this to there custom 24 to the point it is accepted by most players. Unless you are selling to a collector I wouldnt worry about it.

Another option, which I found here, is to put a 6-way Free-way switch in place of the rotary knob. Sounds like it would give me all of the sounds I want without doing any irreversible changes. Anyone have any experiences with the Free-way? I was thinking 1) Neck Humbucker, 2) Neck + Bridge Humbucker, 3) Bridge Humbucker, 4) Humbuckers out of phase, 5) Inner single-coils in parallel, 6) Bridge single coil. Here's a video on the switch.

I saw that switch a few months back on stew-mac's site. It could be the trick your looking for. The thing you would have to work out is the ease of use while playing. I agree with those who suggest a reversible mod.

I've been considering this option as well, but I've read that you have to enlarge the hole for the switch to fit? Is this true? If so then it's not really reversible

Hi,

Just a quick presentation before anything else: My name is Ricardo and I am a PRS CE24 owner since 2000.

My question is, can I replace my 5 way rotary switch for a WD one, without any irreversible changes like drilling? The reason why I would go for a WD one is because it is considerably cheaper than the original PRS one.

Cheers
    Ricardo