Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NPSSCHBSpD

That is an epic build! Love the understated elegance. Very beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kine View Post
    That is an epic build! Love the understated elegance. Very beautiful.
    Says the newest member of the Crazy Wood Crew.

Agreed. Very beautiful.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Says the newest member of the Crazy Wood Crew.
    Nothing wrong with a little Crazy Wood.

That HB is amazing. Best inlays ever!

Beautiful score!!

Quote Originally Posted by kingsleyd View Post
    Hey, Jose, where on the South Shore? I grew up in Hingham & Cohasset.

And check out the video for which I provided a link.
    Thanks, I missed that link.

I'm in Duxbury. I know some people and do frequent Cohasset & Hingham. I also get my haircuts in Cohasset at Pat's

Yeah. That will do nicely.
    A good addition to any collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jose View Post
    Thanks, I missed that link.
    What did you think?

I'm in Duxbury. I know some people and do frequent Cohasset & Hingham. I also get my haircuts in Cohasset at Pat's
    I have four brothers. (I'm the oldest of 5) #2 lives in Duxbury. #3 and #5 live in Cohasset. #4 lives in Milwaukee WI.

I got my hair cut at Pat's when I was a kid. When I got it cut, which wasn't very often, ha!

I knew you'd get it, Les. This is the essence of what Craig is about as a guitarist and guitar dealer. That he's willing to be a dealer for PRS speaks volumes about what PRS are capable of these days.

I know I'm preaching to the choir in here, but as you know there are still a great number of experienced players who pooh-pooh PRS guitars as mediocre, tone-wise, as boring and generic. Craig was one of them! I'd like to think I had a part in convincing him otherwise, but really all I did was give him some insight into what options might work best for what he had in mind because I'm more familiar with PRS than anyone else he knew. PRSH was the one who did the initial sales pitch. (and Paul was apparently very involved with these two guitars, as he seems very motivated to gain Craig's approval -- which is a lot more about RESPECT than it is $$$, 'cos CR is never gonna be a high-volume dealer )

Craig told me that he thought the spruce guitar which I bought was the equal of any guitar he's ever seen from anyone, and that includes the likes of D'Angelico, D'Aquisto, Monteleone, et. al.

Take a listen to the video I just posted! Of course that's only a thimbleful of what it can do. But it's a good thimbleful.
    Just listened. It sounds absolutely wonderful! I love the openness and clarity! And as you know, I am a big fan of the 57/08 pickups anyway. So...wow and double wow! It's a beautiful airy sound. Superb all the way around.

You're right, I still have guys who insist that their whatever is somehow "better" than a PRS. I don't even bother to argue the point any more. I tell people, "Just go play one." Most of the ones who do either buy one or tell me they at least have a lot of respect for what Paul is doing.

Hey, Les, btw, you would have a lot to chat about with Craig -- his main source of income for many years has been his own little studio, which mainly does music for commercials. Mostly top-level stuff.

He was also recently feted in his hometown, Philadelphia, for his role in the old TSOP records from the '70s. (he was a studio guitarist for a lot of the hits that came out of that school)
    You are right! He sounds like a heck of a musician -- I'd love to meet up with both of you and knock back a few absinthes (of course, you'd probably have to call EMS for me after one..).
    Last edited by LSchefman; 10-30-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

Can you have too many? Buildermike's Avatar
    Dang Kingslyed and Jose, I'm in Duxbury during the summer months and sometimes in the colder months. Might have to host a beach bash

I love Duxbury beach!

Very cool...Elegant and classy and I love the inlays!
    Custom 24, 5909, 305, Al Di Meola Prism, Paul's Guitar, SC-58 AP, SE Angelus
    Mesa Lonestar Special w/4x10 Mesa cab

I'll tell ya, they are SUCH an improvement over the old Archtop pickups. Love love LOVE 'em in this guitar. I think a pup swap is just the ticket for your beautiful HB. (which is still to this day one of my all-time favorite PRS guitars)
    +1 on both points: 1) 57/08s are a fantastic match for HBs--I've got them in both of mine (make sure you get three conductor versions, because the full neck/tapped bridge tone is a thing of dreams for me), and 2) Jamie, your HB is one of my all-time favorites, too!

Nothing wrong with a little Crazy Wood.

Stunner!
    Plank Owner

Understated elegance indeed, congratulations.

I had to come back to your thread today and once again admire both the tone and the look of that guitar.

It embodies the essence of what makes a guitar great.

I wish I was a good enough player to justify getting one.

Wait a sec...I wish I was a good enough player! Whether I got one or not. If only I could play guitar as well as I do the keyboard, and I'm not that great on keys, either.

I think what I do is play the studio as an instrument. Music happens, but it's not because I'm all that on any instrument.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 11-01-2013 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    I wish I was a good enough player to justify getting one.
    Oh, Les, not YOU with this ill-founded belief system!!!

I would get it if you said, "it won't make me enough money in the studio to justify its purchase." But to play the "I don't play well enough" card? *sigh* Anyway, of course you've gotta make your own decisions, and it's all good, really, but IMO the issues of "what guitar do I wanna buy?" and "how well do I think I play?" should be entirely separate. One has nothing to do with the other, except inasmuch as if you own a guitar that inspires you to pick it up and play all the time, your playing is likely to improve.

Yesterday afternoon I was playing this guitar (the subject of this thread) and doing some A/B comparisons with some of my Les Paul recipe guitars, including Amber, my 52/59 conversion with PAFs that is pretty much the gold standard for that style of guitar. Or, really, for any style of guitar. I was impressed by the extent to which the SCHBSp (and the 57/08s) captures the essence of what's great about that old Les Paul -- the warmth, the fullness, the clarity, the expressivity, the rainbow of usable tones available by varying the vol & tone pots -- while adding some character due to the hollowness and the spruce top that is entirely to my liking. And being able to add a little piezo zing (or use the piezo on its own for a whole different tone & vibe) is the icing on the cake. (although I've compromised the "acoustic" sound to some degree by putting on a vintage-style set of 0.011-0.050 strings with an unwound G; the wound G in the stock PRS set compromises the electric/magnetic sound too much for me)

Aside from doing my own thing, musically, I play in a cover band that does a Whole Lotta Zeppelin, and other classic rock stuff, and I can hear this guitar working surprisingly well in that context. Through an overdriven amp, or with some fuzz, it's very happy, in fact there's some character there that even that wonderful vintage Gibson can't muster. Of course it doesn't exactly LOOK the part...

(which is where the guitar I posted above comes in!)

Oh, Les, not YOU with this ill-founded belief system!!!
    Yeah, I'm a sucker for thinking that way. Usually I can muster up the hubris to say that whatever I play sounds better on a better guitar, so I deserve to own one.

Of course, it's not about "deserve." It's only about whoever happens to buy one.

But I've been listening to the Tony McManus album the last couple of days; despite the maple back and sides on my machine, when recorded, mine sounds almost exactly the same as Tony's guitar.

Except, of course, that I'm playing it.

I started to feel really guilty and inadequate for "wasting" the potential of such a great instrument. In fact, I haven't picked mine up since I got his record. And I usually play it every day, several times, in fact. So having such a great guitar can be a bit off-putting for me, even a bit counterproductive. Ask me again in a couple of days.

The funny thing about your new guitar is that I've been thinking about what I'd want in a hollow body build, and that's exactly it. Maybe I'd put a hardwood binding on the body to prevent deep dings, but that's about it. And that's only maybe, because I really like the approach taken with yours.

Your guitar is the quintessence of what I'd want if I were to get one. It sounds magnificent, and looks the business.

OK, I'm going to go play my acoustic today. Enough guilt. LOL
    Last edited by LSchefman; 11-01-2013 at 11:50 AM.

I wouldn't worry about it man. Play and have a good time. That's all there is and all there should be I reckon.
    Plank Owner

I would get it if you said, "it won't make me enough money in the studio to justify its purchase." But to play the "I don't play well enough" card? *sigh* Anyway, of course you've gotta make your own decisions, and it's all good, really, but IMO the issues of "what guitar do I wanna buy?" and "how well do I think I play?" should be entirely separate. One has nothing to do with the other, except inasmuch as if you own a guitar that inspires you to pick it up and play all the time, your playing is likely to improve.
    Well stated. +1