Thread: Martin Simpson - Why He Is My New Favorite Artist

Martin Simpson - Why He Is My New Favorite Artist

Tell me this song doesn't crush your soul.

You showed me eyebright in the hedgerow,
    speedwell and travellers joy.
    You showed me how to use my eyes
    When I was just a boy;
    And you taught me how to love a song
    And all you knew of nature's ways:
    The greatest gifts I have ever known,
    And I use them every day.

Beautiful.
    Plank Owner

Want tabs? Yeah he has them.
    Plank Owner

That was one hell of a good song. And a good story.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Want tabs? Yeah he has them.
    Very cool that he has them.
    I could also use a lesson on tuning from him. It was very interesting to watch one part of his brain change tunings while the other part chatted with the audience about a song he was going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by veinbuster View Post
    Very cool that he has them.
    I could also use a lesson on tuning from him. It was very interesting to watch one part of his brain change tunings while the other part chatted with the audience about a song he was going to do.
    I am going to buy one with the lesson. No way I could play it. Not even close, but I want to see how they look.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    I am going to buy one with the lesson. No way I could play it. Not even close, but I want to see how they look.
    Don't sell yourself short. I felt the same way about Michael Hedges tunes, and actually got one half-decent. I was working on a second one, but I don't think I ever recorded it.

And some of those transcriptions are so cool to look at. The Stropes transcriptions of Hedges' material are almost works of art.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Tab confuses the hell out of me.

I have a much easier time with standard notation, but then again, as a keyboard player, I was raised on it.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I prefer standard notation as well. I can work with tab, but I think you need standard notation. Then again, I'm not as worried about note-perfect replication of songs. I like tab for showing me different ways of playing a phrase, though.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    Don't sell yourself short. I felt the same way about Michael Hedges tunes, and actually got one half-decent. I was working on a second one, but I don't think I ever recorded it.

And some of those transcriptions are so cool to look at. The Stropes transcriptions of Hedges' material are almost works of art.
    Yeah man. Good point. Thanks.
    Plank Owner