Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My best sounding prs ever is plain jane

My best sounding prs ever is plain jane

I have had many prs guitars over the years and as many as eight at one time and out of all of the guitars I have ever had my best sounding prs is a plain black singlecut with dots..does anybody else have one like this? I wish I could transfer its tone to a 10 top with bird or artist package guitar I own ...

I find it really interesting that sometimes the stars align just right and the bell of the ball isn't the Queen, the Dutchess or even the King's Consort. sometimes it turns out to be the maid or the washer woman.

So many things affect the tone and playability of a guitar. Sometimes fancy looking wood isn't fancy sounding wood. One of my favorite PRS guitars is a 2003 Santana SE in Marine Blue with the slash inlays. It is just comfortable and playable and has great tone. I keep it in my office at work for those in-between-moments.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!
    Lexicon
    ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

Yeah it just always blows me away . I bought it used in mint condition for $1495 at Washington music center eight years ago and it's the only PRS I never ordered new and it turned out to be amazing !!! I think I will be buried with it lol !!!

I prefer Plain Janes, so the three PRS guitars I've owned have been non-10 with moons.

I've mused to myself that if I ever get a PS, I'd tell them to pick the best sounding boards and not worry too much about the looks.
    --Garrett--

It's a well kept secret that black paint makes a guitar sound better.

I'm with you, though. Here's my modest collection. I sprung for a Mira with original birds, that's as bling as it gets for me.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Occasionally Onery Member CantankerousCarl's Avatar
    I don't necessarily PREFER the Plain Janes, but I feel that I severely under-appreciate them. So much so that I came dangerously close to getting rid of two of mine in order to finance my new Paul's Guitar.

Thankfully my sense of reason (my wife) intervened, and I was able to still get the PG AND keep these two. So here's my public apology to putting these oft under-loved babies on the chopping block a few weeks back. I'm sorry, girls...I was wrong:

1993 all-hog Standard 24, what a great, warm, smoky sound and growl from her. There is something very effortless about playing this one:

1991 all-alder CE24, more midrange than the Standard above, but definitely warmer in sound than my maple-top CEs. Sometimes I find the black sunburst homely, sometimes beautiful:
    1990, 91, 92 & 97 CE24s | 1991 CU24 | 2003 & 04 SE EG SSS | 2008 SE Semi-Hollow Soapbar
    2011 CU24 GC Throwback | 2012 Signature Limited | 2013 408 Brazilian | 2013 Paul's Guitar
    2013 Hollowbody II | 2013 CU24 Swamp Ash Limited | 2013 XPRS 408 Semi-Hollow
    2013 S2 Mira | 2013 CU24 | 2014 CU24 Semi-Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    It's a well kept secret that White paint makes a guitar sound better.

I'm with you, though. Here's my modest collection. I sprung for a Mira with original birds, that's as bling as it gets for me.

Fixed that for ya!
    PRS Guitars Endorsee....White and Relic'd Ones !

I've got a CE22 Standard that sounds incredible. I've got a 20th Anni SC AP that sounds ... ho-hum. If it wasn't for my Cu24AP that sounds as incredible as the CE22, I'd say that all the bling subtracts from the tone. It just depends on how that piece of wood turned out.
    1988 CE24, 1995 CE22, 2000 SC, 2003 Standard 22, 2003 Cu24 AP, 2006 Cu24 AP, 2006 SC AP, 2007 CuRo22, 2010 Starla Stoptail, 2010 Mira
    2007 SE Soapy 2, 2010 SE 25th Anni Cu24, 2012 SE Bernie, 2013 SE Angelus Custom

PRS SE50, Mesa Single RectoVerb, Mesa Lonestar, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

I've got a couple plain janes and they both have something special. Here's one that had me enthralled for a year before. I actually bought it. Every time I went to the shop, I plugged it in and drifted away into my own world. Still probably my favorite when I'm by myself and don't have to get any specific tones.

I'm glad I'm not alone !!! But this guitar has kinda ruined it for me because I cannot find another one that sounds even close ...

My "deal of the century" 25th McCarty NF sounds and plays as good as anything I have (and I have some doosies). Non 10 top (though it's plenty pretty for my tastes). Priced just about the same as yours, though it must have been some sort of mistake at GC. It had rusty strings and dust all over it, but other than that, it was set up perfectly and plays like a dream.....

Amen, brutha.

+1000

Hell YEAH!

+ '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

Banned
    I use my SAStudio as my gigging guitar.
    My favourite player and sounder? is my Artist5, but it's to nice to gig with.

I don't know if it's THE best sounding PRS I have, but this one is up there...2000 McCarty Soapbar, McCarty burst, "nothing special" non-10 top & moons:

A lifetime keeper, that one is.

Quote Originally Posted by 92LX View Post
    But this guitar has kinda ruined it for me because I cannot find another one that sounds even close ...
    Think of it this way: you're set. Anything else is gravy.

Not a bad thing!

In my world, the tone winner among over 20 PRSes I've owned is the blingy Artist V, with the Stripped 58 I foolishly sold coming a close second.

The Sig Ltd is also in that league, and I put the others slightly ahead just because I am maybe a little more used to traditional humbucker tones.
    Last edited by LSchefman; 10-31-2013 at 09:21 PM.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

For me it's my KL380 with the three P90s, it's just a plain korina guitar no birds, but through a cranked EL84 amp sounds amazing. So my 10 tops and Artist pack guitars rest in their cases a little under used.
    Ian
    McCarty Black Cherry 10top 02, McCarty Standard Teal P90s 98, Archtop Emerald Green 10top '98, HBI Artist Emerald Green 08, KL380 09, Custom 22 Emerald Green 3xP90s 98, McCarty Korina 09, Zach Myers SE 14
    Amps: Mesa Boogie MK2c+ x 2, MK3, Triaxis, 20:20, Ampmaker P18s x 2, Peavey Vypyr 30 x 2, Hughes & Kettner GrandMeister 36, plus others

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie View Post

Want.

I haven't seen a plain jane in this thread yet... I guess it's all about perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Think of it this way: you're set. Anything else is gravy.
    That's the revelation that most on these boards don't want to hear. The chase is over (for one piece of the puzzle). Sure, there's other stuff that I want, but my needs are met. To me, that's a great thing.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

I got plenty of sexy PRSi to play, but this understated white wash Korina McCarty sounds AMAZING and I love to gig with it!

[QUOTE=Boogie;111085]That's the revelation that most on these boards don't want to hear. The chase is over (for one piece of the puzzle). Sure, there's other stuff that I want, but my needs are met. To me, that's a great thing.[/

I can see why some famous people treasure one guitar so much . This thing is so huge and big sounding threw any amp it's insane and it never gets muddy and stays clear no matter how much gain you throw at it .. And it's so angelic sounding when clean .. Wish I could get a pic posted..