Thread: Whore

Whore

A week ago tonight, someone played soundbites from a band called In This Moment for me. I remember liking the grooves but they didn't necessarily haunt me. Then, I turned on the radio on my way back to the office today and heard one of their songs, called Whore, from start to finish. This song rocks. It's angry. It's provocative. The vocals are a mish-mash between the oozing sexuality of Jennifer Charles (Loveage) and the fist-in-your-teeth screaming of Lacey (Soulfly). The gang-vocals are powerful without being too 80's.

It's been a while since I've heard any new Metal that I wanted to hear a second time. Generally speaking, I've grown away from Metal. I'm just not that angry anymore. But songs like this one fire up my engines. It makes me want to put on my boots and smash someone in the face. It may sound odd, but I kinda miss that feeling with music. I want to FEEL something from music. I want to play it loud. Really loud.

Just Googled the band for details. There are 50 studio photos for every live/stage shot but the singer is as good-looking as I had hoped given the lyrical content. Despite photos that suggest the band works really hard on image, their sound seems legitimate. Still, I like a good 'show' with my rock-n-roll so I don't mind the eye candy. A band has got to *Wow me* visually or I'll just stay home and play the CD. If they borrowed Marilyn Manson's penchant for great theater (and not just his sense of fashion) I'd really like to see them live.

From a parental perspective, I wouldn't be thrilled about my daughter following this band. But there are times when I allow my taste in music to be about me. Just me. This is one such occasion.

Anyway... give 'em a listen some time. They need PRS Guitars.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maria-In-This-Moment-630x406.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	927

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MariaBrinks-inthismoment-ss.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	928
    One Life

Maria has a scream as brutal as any.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by ]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! View Post
    It's been a while since I've heard any new Metal that I wanted to hear a second time. Generally speaking, I've grown away from Metal. I'm just not that angry anymore.
    My Slayer Sunday thread is all I can bear.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    My Slayer Sunday thread is all I can bear.
    And I was going to see if you wanted to take a drive with me next weekend.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    Can we listen to Kool & the Gang in the car?

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    Can we listen to Kool & the Gang in the car?
    Who is that?
    Plank Owner

Who is that?

I will give this a go and respond with my answer. Give me a day or two...the new CARCASS has priority.
    Plank Owner

I've heard a couple partial songs on satellite, but I've liked what I've heard. I've got to dig a little deeper here.

I know what you mean about getting away from the metal a bit - went through that myself. I was never (and still am not) much of a fan of the cookie monster vocals. Some of the stuff reminds me of bad disco or bad dance music in that if there's no interruption, you can't really tell where one song ended and the next began.

But I've found some quality stuff out there. I really reawakened to the metal scene about four years ago when I saw Dethklok. I'm on conversational terms with Mike Keneally and Bryan Beller, and I drove across the state to see them (because the tour wasn't stopping here), and something just clicked that night. Someone said to Mike that night that he enjoyed the show, but the music wasn't up his alley. Mike looked at me and said, "I know it was up your alley, right?" And it was - he knew me better than I did!

I've found bands I can listen to, that aren't parodies and the stereotypical constant double-kick growling screams from beginning to end. I don't think my wife is thrilled (she's fine up until about Judas Priest/Iron Maiden/Dio/Ozzy), but I'm having a blast.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

We shot a few of their videos and I'm good friends with Chris' wife (sorry, he's a die hard Schecter endorsee AND plays 7 strings ). They're good people.
    Last edited by themike; 11-01-2013 at 06:54 PM.
    Paul Reed Smith 7 - S t r i n g A c t i v i s t | Fueled by P T C

That would be a really good idea. Never know where a tank of gas will take you...the people you might see.
    + '01 Custom 24 + '11 DGT Standard (Mr. Clean) + '09 SE One + Super Dallas + Stealth 2x12+

They're a pretty good band. I'm not REALLY into them, don't own any of their music but I was thinking about checking them out when they come through. Seems like they put on a good show. I won't lie, if Maria wasn't as pleasing to the eye, I'd be far less interested

Did they change singers?
    I saw a video of them a few years back, and a plus size woman with black hair was singing for them back then.

PS, just Wiki'd them, and it seems the current singer is the one who started the band.
    Maybe I am thinking of a different band.

I thought this was going to be a wonderfully fun thread about being a gear whore! Instead, it's about something else I've never heard of!

What's a...band?
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

I get the same feeling that I had when I first listened to NIN, and People In Planes. They have a sense of melody and an edge that elevates the style of music they play.

I confess, I don't care for a LOT of their other stuff on YouTube. I think, with this song, she found her voice.

The "pretty" stuff needs to go away. It's not good. Besides, if I want Amy Lee I'll play Evanescence.
    One Life

I only want to hear her scream. No singing.
    Plank Owner

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    What's a...band?
    It's that thing that Hans can't hold over our heads anymore.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

Quote Originally Posted by alantig View Post
    It's that thing that Hans can't hold over our heads anymore.
    One Life