Thread: how long to order a guitar ?

how long to order a guitar ?

Man , it seems like I'll never get my hand on this new guitar that I want !

After weeks of researching I finally settle down and WANT to buy a DGT.I asked my dealer to call and find out what PRS has in stock .Unfortunately , color option at this point is super limited ( white, black or whale blue )

I dont really like any of those, I guess I could live with a white DGT but for 3k I'd like to be stoked on the guitar.

Now my dealer said it could take up to 6 freaking months If I were to order a specific color AND would need to add a premium on top of it ?????!!! I get it if I were to order an artist package but what if I only want to get regular DGT ?.

Anyhow, it got me thinking , as the end of 2013 coming fast , maybe I could get an early 2014 soon ?

Anyone here ever ordered a color and got it in less than 6 months ? I could do a few weeks, maybe even 2 months but not 6 ...
    Last edited by tuumbaq; 11-01-2013 at 08:58 PM.

That's tough. I had to wait around 3 months for my order and it was painful, but worth it. If you have to order it sight unseen, why not find another dealer online for a color you like? Wildwood, Wild West, Willcutt...
    Are you in the USA?

Quote Originally Posted by LJD View Post
    That's tough. I had to wait around 3 months for my order and it was painful, but worth it. If you have to order it sight unseen, why not find another dealer online for a color you like? Wildwood, Wild West, Willcutt...
    Are you in the USA?

Here's the catch, I traded in my old Ce22 and the dealer is giving are good price for it...So Im kinda stuck if I want to save 1200$ on the price tag...Beside , they've always been good to me so...3 months is SOOoooo long , I want it TONIGHT ;-) lol

Assuming stock options, you shouldn't have to pay a premium, unless your dealer is willing to cut prices on stock on hand guitars and not willing to give you the same deal on an order. If you pay up front, it's a better deal for him--no risk on the guitar sitting in stock for an unknown period of time.

I might be missing something, but if honk you should be able to negotiate with your dealer. What does it matter to him if you get one from PRS today, or pay (at least in part, like the $1200 trade in) and get the guitar in a few months?

BTW, I waited about four months for my 513 a few years ago.

To be fair to the dealer, it'll cost him more to bring in one guitar than it will to bring in a full order, hence why the price may not be able to be so good.
    HBII (faded gray black 'double' 10-top), HB12 (black gold), NF3 (antique white/birds), 25th ann. Mira 245 (frost blue metallic), KL1812, Starla (vintage cherry, IRW neck, birds), 2 x 2011 'Stripped' 58 (blue crab blue & goldtop)

Quote Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
    To be fair to the dealer, it'll cost him more to bring in one guitar than it will to bring in a full order, hence why the price may not be able to be so good.
    I'm not sure this is true. For these points, I'm assuming (dangerous, I know) that the guitar ordered is a stock production model in a stock color.

Actually, ordering one in your color preference should cost the same (or even less) as though the dealer ordered it for store stock, no matter how many pieces the dealer is ordering. I don't believe PRS gives a dealer discount until you get into HUGE orders.

The dealer should also be motivated to give a nice price because of the following considerations:
    1. He knows the guitar is sold and doesn't have to put it on the floor and wait.
    2. He knows what his margin will be.
    3. He can actually get a down payment.
    4. All of these make the order lower risk than orders for the sales floor.

There may be something else at play. You already agreed on a price for your trade. The dealer is likely affected by what he has promised you and might be looking to make up some margin on the other end with your purchase. It is a classic problem that Consumer Reports has been warning consumers about for decades: they recommend that people separate the transactions of trade in and purchase so the deal on one does not affect the deal on the other.
    Thbbbbbt...
    Check it out: Phillybri used to have a band: Resonance But he's soooo over them now!

ísɹǝqɯǝɯ uɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ oןןǝɥ

1200 trade in is a great deal for trade in on a CE. I don't think the dealer would get more for one unless you've got a rare 80s model. Have you checked your price on the new guitar is a bargain as we'll? Don't want to get a great trade in and pay $600 over everywhere else.
    For a special order Sure, maybe it should cost the same to order a new PRS as a new one that's hung in the shop, but as a dealer you might want your old stock out of a store such that you'd make a deal on a guitar that isn't very profitable, that wouldn't be a sensical deal if you're not clearing old stock. It's conceivable you're the only one that's shown interest in that specific guitar. Sometimes people get a good deal on a guitar a dealer is just tired of looking at.
    It may also be that a new PRS is more expensive now than when he ordered the new guitar in the shop. If the dealer got this guitar in last year dealer pricing could have increased hundreds since then.
    Also, if the dealer allows returns then what's to say someone won't special order a guitar, play it a week and take it back, and now there's the old stock and another new one the dealer may not be prepared for. This or the dealer refuses returns on special orders and loses customers.
    I hope you get the guitar you want! Do you think color choice is worth a few extra Hundo perhaps?
    Something is only less expensive if you like it just as well, otherwise it's just cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by rabidhamster View Post
    1200 trade in is a great deal for trade in on a CE. I don't think the dealer would get more for one unless you've got a rare 80s model. Have you checked your price on the new guitar is a bargain as we'll? Don't want to get a great trade in and pay $600 over everywhere else.
    For a special order Sure, maybe it should cost the same to order a new PRS as a new one that's hung in the shop, but as a dealer you might want your old stock out of a store such that you'd make a deal on a guitar that isn't very profitable, that wouldn't be a sensical deal if you're not clearing old stock. It's conceivable you're the only one that's shown interest in that specific guitar. Sometimes people get a good deal on a guitar a dealer is just tired of looking at.
    It may also be that a new PRS is more expensive now than when he ordered the new guitar in the shop. If the dealer got this guitar in last year dealer pricing could have increased hundreds since then.
    Also, if the dealer allows returns then what's to say someone won't special order a guitar, play it a week and take it back, and now there's the old stock and another new one the dealer may not be prepared for. This or the dealer refuses returns on special orders and loses customers.
    I hope you get the guitar you want! Do you think color choice is worth a few extra Hundo perhaps?
    Something is only less expensive if you like it just as well, otherwise it's just cheaper.

My dealer quoted me at 2600$ for a new DGT...seems reasonable to me.I buy a lot of gear from these guys and they're always super good to me.I just gave em a call this morning and they were also confused about the pricing if I were to oder a "regular" non artist package DGT... I should have a clear price on Monday

Quote Originally Posted by rugerpc View Post
    I'm not sure this is true. For these points, I'm assuming (dangerous, I know) that the guitar ordered is a stock production model in a stock color.
    Who pays the freight, PRS or the dealer?
    HBII (faded gray black 'double' 10-top), HB12 (black gold), NF3 (antique white/birds), 25th ann. Mira 245 (frost blue metallic), KL1812, Starla (vintage cherry, IRW neck, birds), 2 x 2011 'Stripped' 58 (blue crab blue & goldtop)