Thread: Urgent, strings for PRS SE EG+ baseplate doubt.

Urgent, strings for PRS SE EG+ baseplate doubt.

Hello everybody,
    Im ordering Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot pickups for my PRS SE EG I bought some months ago, follow some suggestions of this pups on this forum and after searching on the web seem very good pickups.
    I think I will need to order strings for the guitar. To change the pickups probabley will have to take the stock ones and maybe will brake if want to put them back after the pups change.

From the PRS setup guide:

All SE* instruments are factory set-up with 9 - 42 gauge strings (except for the Mike Mushok Baritone, which is set-up with D?Addario XL157 - 14-68).

I want to know your suggestions about strings, can buy PRS 0.9 ones: http://www.thomann.de/es/prs_e_gitarrensaiten_009.htm
    Or instead Daddario, but dont know what model if buy Daddario, so I should need your suggestions for this rare "strat" PRS guitar, I shoule need some help here.

On the other hand, the Lindy Fralin comes with or without baseplate. Its 18 euro difference, does it worth? I have read that it gives more "low" on the bridge pickup, or form other guys "less high end"
    I use all the time a Line6 X3 Pro, so Im not sure if does worth the extra money or just simply little Eq instead. Should like to know your opinion about this issue aswell.
    Thanks very much in advance.

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    I don't know how long you've had the guitar, but the strings will have to come off to replace the pickups anyway, so you might as well put on a new set. Strings need to be changed regularly anyway--think of it as normal maintenance, like putting gas in your car...
    The baseplate does make a difference, especially on the bridge pickup--it seems to focus the bottom end a little bit. Think of the difference between a Strat bridge pickup (no baseplate) and a Tele bridge pickup (has a baseplate). I had a Fralin baseplate installed on the bridge pickup (Fender Texas Special) of my Strat to try and get it to sound more like a Tele, and it helps a little, although it still doesn't quite sound like a Tele. It's best to have the baseplate professionally installed if it's not already mounted to the pickup, as it has to be sealed to the bottom of the pickup.
    Last edited by jfine; 11-04-2013 at 01:07 AM.

The strings are more of a own preference thing. You can go with D'Addario's if PRS strings are not found at any nearby GC. I heard from many others that PRS strings are actually made by D'Addario's. The Pure Nickels are what you should be going for if you want the exact strings as the stock factory strings from PRS. A more common choice would be Nickel Plated Steel, will sound a bit brighter and feel very slightly stiffer.

edit: sorry, I missed out on the baseplate. Baseplates make singlecoil pickups sound fatter. It takes away a bit of the highs, making the sound smoother and balances the overall tone because the baseplate spreads the magnetic field wider. It gives a rounder, fatter and less ice-picky sound.

Think:
    Tele bridge pickup - with baseplate.
    Strat bridge pickup - without baseplate.

It's up to you whether you need it or not.
    Last edited by maxtuna26; 11-04-2013 at 04:11 AM.

Thank you very much.
    Do you think Prs strings of the link above can be ok for the strat model? No difference of the type of strings compared to any Prs with humbuckers?

I'm sure the PRS strings or D'Addario will serve well. Lots of good string brands out there, so it's just a matter of what you prefer.

The baseplate can be handy on a Strat bridge pickup because they tend to sound a bit thin in comparison to the neck pickup. I installed a set of Vintage Hots with the baseplate in a friend's Strat and they sounded great.
    --Garrett--

Quote Originally Posted by maxtuna26 View Post
    I heard from many others that PRS strings are actually made by D'Addario's. The Pure Nickels are what you should be going for if you want the exact strings as the stock factory strings from PRS. A more common choice would be Nickel Plated Steel, will sound a bit brighter and feel very slightly stiffer.
    This. Strings are very much a matter of personal preference. I prefer Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys (10-46) myself, but lots of people like D'addario. As max says, the PRS strings are just D'addario strings in PRS packaging.

Do not order the baseplate if you want to stay closer to an authentic Strat sound. The Fralin Vintage Hot pickups are a very good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    As max says, the PRS strings are just D'addario strings in PRS packaging.
    Honestly, I've played both D'Addario branded strings and the PRS branded strings, and the PRS seem to have a slightly different feel for me. It's possible they're a little different than D'Addario's nickel wounds.

They feel very different to me than D'Addario's nickel plated strings, however. I much prefer the PRS to those.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    Honestly, I've played both D'Addario branded strings and the PRS branded strings, and the PRS seem to have a slightly different feel for me. It's possible they're a little different than D'Addario's nickel wounds.

They feel very different to me than D'Addario's nickel plated strings, however. I much prefer the PRS to those.
    Curious, I think Ill order both to find out if I feel the same or if its psychological.
    I will use the strat for clean sounds, have the Santana Se I like better for distortion.
    When you mean no order baseplate if want to keep on original strat sound, that stands more for clean sounds, Im right?
    Thanks guys, very useful feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by lagoausente View Post
    Curious, I think Ill order both to find out if I feel the same or if its psychological.
    I will use the strat for clean sounds, have the Santana Se I like better for distortion.
    When you mean no order baseplate if want to keep on original strat sound, that stands more for clean sounds, Im right?
    Thanks guys, very useful feedback.
    Not cleaner, but thinner sounding. Strat bridge pickups usually have a thin and cutting sound, especially compared to the big, fat sound of the neck pickup. The baseplate helps compensate and fill out the sound without having to overwind the pickup.
    --Garrett--

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Not cleaner, but thinner sounding. Strat bridge pickups usually have a thin and cutting sound, especially compared to the big, fat sound of the neck pickup. The baseplate helps compensate and fill out the sound without having to overwind the pickup.

I understand that, what I mean is if this helps more when playing with dist or overdriven sounds or helps more when playing clean amp sounds, or if its useful for both..,
    Thanks in advance.

PD: now is no urgent, but cant change the title of the thread. Sorry for this.

Quote Originally Posted by lagoausente View Post
    I understand that, what I mean is if this helps more when playing with dist or overdriven sounds or helps more when playing clean amp sounds, or if its useful for both..,
    Thanks in advance.

PD: now is no urgent, but cant change the title of the thread. Sorry for this.
    It's fine for both. Just a fuller sound clean or with overdrive.
    --Garrett--

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    It's fine for both. Just a fuller sound clean or with overdrive.
    Fine, thanks a lot for your help,