Thread: Help: Which PRS is next?

Hybrid View

Help: Which PRS is next?

Hello new family, I am trying to decide what PRS I should buy next. I have a Signature Limited (2012 Eriza Verde trem) and a PRS CE22 all mahogany (1999 all red).

I just sold my Gibson 335 because it didn't inspire me much (maybe it was too big?), but I'm considering a hollowbody single cut as a potential next guitar.

I also like the 513, probably because it gives me that single coil that I am not getting from the Siggy or the CE22. On that same note, I am also considering a Swamp Ash Special, but am unsure about the narrowfield pickups.

I thought about the McCarty, since I don't have a Les Paul, but i'm not sure if there is enough tone difference to buy it.

And, I am also interested in the 2012 Custom 24 but I am afraid it will be too much like my other two guitars.

I'd like to stay as close to $2,000 as possible but if you recommend a great guitar that complements the others, I will check it out.

Thoughts?
    Acoustics: . . . . . . . . . . . Larrivée LV-03E | Larrivée LV-09E
    Electrics:. . . . . . . . . . . . .PRS 305 | PRS CE22 | PRS Signature Limited Eriza verde
    Synth:. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Yamaha ES6

Your Next Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by RocknPop View Post
    Hello new family, I am trying to decide what PRS I should buy next. I have a Signature Limited (2012 Eriza Verde trem) and a PRS CE22 all mahogany (1999 all red).

I just sold my Gibson 335 because it didn't inspire me much (maybe it was too big?), but I'm considering a hollowbody single cut as a potential next guitar.

I also like the 513, probably because it gives me that single coil that I am not getting from the Siggy or the CE22. On that same note, I am also considering a Swamp Ash Special, but am unsure about the narrowfield pickups.

I thought about the McCarty, since I don't have a Les Paul, but i'm not sure if there is enough tone difference to buy it.

And, I am also interested in the 2012 Custom 24 but I am afraid it will be too much like my other two guitars.

I'd like to stay as close to $2,000 as possible but if you recommend a great guitar that complements the others, I will check it out.

Thoughts?
    As far as a variety of sounds, I think the 513 is the one to beat...both maple top and Swamp ash offer an incredible variation of sounds...I also have an older SAS (HSH)which is very nice, great single coil sounds. Rewired mine so Push-Pull tone pot "down" offers the single coil sounds. Love it.

I know what you mean about the size of the 335; I always felt mine was gigantic, and it felt odd to play, though I did like the tones. The cool thing about the Hollowbody PRS models is that you get that warm, woody thing going, with a much more manageable body size. In terms of sonic preference, I guess that's a matter of taste, so I can't comment on that.

One model you might want to check out is the 2011 Semi Hollow CU22 Limited; it is a wonderful guitar with great pickups. Has just enough of the warm HB tone to tickle your ear, but can do a greater variety of things (imho).

Quote Originally Posted by RocknPop View Post
    I also like the 513, probably because it gives me that single coil that I am not getting from the Siggy
    Are the 408 pups not good in single coil mode? :-/

I was eyeing a 408 mt for the coil splitter.