Thread: PRS SE Guitars

PRS SE Guitars

How are the PRS SE models. I am thinking about the Santana and I found a really awesome color. I am looking forward to hearing your feedback

Hi Zach.

Haven't tried the Santana, but I have had a Mike Mushok Baritone and there is a SE245 in the house. Both of them were great quality for the price. I loved both of them. Sold the baritone because it wasn't as comfortable after some hand surgery.

I'd suggest, if you can, get your hands on one and make sure it's the model you like. If not, there are plenty of SE models all with consistently great quality.

How do they compare to a gibson sg special

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    I love my SE Santana.

However, I have upgraded every piece of hardware to US PRS stuff..

Great guitar and an awesome platform for tinkering....
    -Jon

"I'm a sinner and I hope I never change"

2012 SE Santana here, it was my second guitar.
    Prior to that my guitar was a 2012 Gibson SG '61 Reissue which is a great guitar, but the SE blows it away in ease of playing.

Theses guitars are not my first, just my first ones again after taking a thirty year break from playing

Thank you all. I am looking forward to buying mine and maybe putting seymour duncan alnico 2 pickups in it.

Bought a SE Santana from GC about 6 months ago. Liked it so much I bought another one (on sale) from Sweetwater. I already owned a Gibson LP custom and a Gibson LP studio. In my opinion, this Santana blew both the Gibsons out of the water.

I recently traded the LP studio + one of the Santanas for a PRS S2 custom 24. I am really pleased with the trade and the S2 has now become my go to guitar.

You will not be disappointed with the Santana SE at all. Great guitar.

I'd say overall that the nut and tuners are first to mod/replace In my experience
    I've done thie nut so far and might go for locking tunerss
    I've had it a year )( since my last birthday ) and it has been, overall, a very pleasing guitar to play

SEs are the stairways to PRS heaven. Nuff said.

I've tried a couple of SE Santanas and honestly, I love the feel of them, even more so than my own SE Custom 24. I've always dug the Santana, but I don't really want to have 2 very similar guitars, I need one with a stoptail so that I can mess around with ridiculous tunings. There's one hanging on the wall in my nearest shop, a very vibrant orange finish, chevron flame maple top and I just love to feast my eyes upon that thing, it's one of the most beautiful veneer I've ever seen on an SE. Funnily, I wish I could have a plain jane black one though! Gives it a less Santana-ish appearance, and more R'N'R looking.

SEs will be direct rivals to the entry-level Gibsons, such as the SG Special you mentioned. Of course you get the usual appointments of a rock guitar on an SG, the classic look, feel and sound. For the SE, it's a modern Korean-made guitar, more contemporary tone, more blings (flamed maple) and so on. Santana used to play Gibson SGs and Yamaha SGs (or SBG) before he switched to PRS, so you can get in the Santana ballpark with either the SG or the SE. Feel-wise, I can't comment as feel varies from guitar to guitar, preferences also differ from person to person. You might want to try them out first before deciding.

The bad thing about SGs is the neck dive.
    Let go of it with a nylon strap, and the headstock will fall straight down.
    A leather strap grips the shirt better, but it is a very bad balanced guitar.

I have zero problems with diving with any of my PRS guitars.
    I do like the slim 60s neck of the SG, but still prefer playing the PRS fleet better.

I have an 07 SE Custom 22 that I absolutely love. One of my favorite guitars so far.

Warped frustrated old man John Scrip's Avatar
    My SE Santana was one of my favorite guitars. Right out of the box, a great piece. Sold it - Shouldn't have.
    John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering - Chicago IL
    2011 PRS Custom 24
    Proud Member of ROLBAMTMWAOBGMMPRSC24OA

I have an orange SE Santana and I love mine.

A great, great guitat at a super price. All new songs I learn is on the Santana. I will not part with mi

By all means, give on a try!

I also have a Gibson SG that I really like as well.

Cheers!

D.

Thanks I picked mine up yesterday it is quilted maple top. Its my profile pic so you can go check it out.

Looking really sweet. Quilt tops on the SE kills. You've bagged yourself a killer guitar right there!

The first thing I usually do is replace the nut, and change the tuners to Hipshot Open back locking tuners with the Universal mounting plates. I think the SE's in all models are underrated, and as others have said, a great platform to modify in minor ways. The necks are tremendous, and the whammy bars stay in tune pretty well with a new nut. Play it to death!
    Last edited by dogrocketp; 11-15-2013 at 10:57 PM.