Thread: Replacing Tubes

Replacing Tubes

Any advice on tube replacement? Brands to stick with? Avoid? Boogie F-50 with 2 6L6 and 4 12AX7 tubes. Thanks everybody!

For a Boogie I would go with Mesa tubes !!!! easy matched work every time.
    PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII
    Others LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

I think Mesa is purchasing tubes from JJ, and re-testing them. Unless you are interested in trying NOS, JJs and Mesas are consistent and sound good.

There's another thread on this recently, and I wrote it there but will say it again: The Tung Sol EL34 reissues are great, and so are the Tung Sol 12AX7s. I would not hesitate to buy any tube model made under that brand name.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana

Quote Originally Posted by John Beef View Post
    There's another thread on this recently, and I wrote it there but will say it again: The Tung Sol EL34 reissues are great, and so are the Tung Sol 12AX7s. I would not hesitate to buy any tube model made under that brand name.
    The Tung-Sols are made in the Ukraine by Reflector. They sound pretty darn good in the right amp. I do like the Winged Cs better in an EL34 amp, but that's just a personal preference for the types of tones they have on tap. I think the Tung Sol 6L6 variants are especially good, though.
    If something is too hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your short-wave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.
    -- Homer J. Simpson

Winged C is where it's at! Probably no need to replace the preamp tubes. Those things last forever.

thetubestore.com has never let me down....great recommendations and great reviews for specific amps.
    "He's kind of like a bear at a campsite...you think he's cute and kind of want to hug him, but in the end you know he's dangerous and is going to stomp on your tent and eat all your food..." - martysnarf

Quote Originally Posted by LSchefman View Post
    The Tung-Sols are made in the Ukraine by Reflector. They sound pretty darn good in the right amp. I do like the Winged Cs better in an EL34 amp, but that's just a personal preference for the types of tones they have on tap. I think the Tung Sol 6L6 variants are especially good, though.
    Right, a lot of tubes are made there (actually the old Reflektor factory called Expo-Pul, originally opened in 1953 and continuously operating in the same Saratov, Russia factory, now owned by New Sensor) including Sovtek, Mullard reissues, Electro Harmonix, "Svetlana", and Genelex. There are only two other tube factories in the world - JJ/Tesla in Slovakia and the Shaguang factory in China, but according to what I have read, something like 60% of the world's vaccuum tubes come from Expo-Pul.
    The Bovine Fury <-- stream and download our album "Eleven by Twelve" for free.
    05 Custom 22 with DGT pickups ~ 07 Mira with old birds ~ 08 SE Baritone Fralin/Suhr pickups ~ 03 SE Santana