Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Douchey Guitarist List..

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar

Douchey Guitarist List..

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/...guitarists.php

This sparked some nice debate on my FB page.

My personal opinion is that the author has an axe to grind for whatever reason regardless of his attempt at humor...

What say you?
    -Jon

"I'm a sinner and I hope I never change"

Not funny. Guy comes off as a douche! Besides if it was a real list of douchie guitar players, I'd be on it!
    "Just one more and then I promise, no more guitars honey!" - The phrase I say most to my wife

I'll admit, there are a couple on there that are a little too much for me (MAB especially), but there are some pretty awesome players on there too IMO. Vai is a melodic master, Mayer does some of the best arrangements around, and EVH... what would modern rock be if that "douche" had stopped short of changing rock guitar history?
    -I'm no expert, but it seems to work and I haven't electrocuted myself yet. Which is pretty much the standard I live by.

SE Custom 24 25th Anniversary - SE Akesson+57/08's - SE 30 Head/Cab

Well....the guy who wrote the article certainly has some anger issues.
    -Bob

Angry Southern Gentleman Hopeful Sinner's Avatar
    For the record, this guys opinions are not my own...
    -Jon

"I'm a sinner and I hope I never change"

Who switched this guy's Wheaties out for a bowl of sour grapes??

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    His opinions are not even accurate. I don't think Yngwie ever studied with Joe Satriani.... Still, I agree with his assessment of C. C. Deville--and I'd put Ace Frehley on the list too--one of the funniest things I've seen lately was a clip on YouTube of Ace live playing an unaccompanied solo, but I don't think he intended it to be humorous...

those guys are all great musicians.
    the only douche bag is the author.
    Bavarian Barbarian

Ridiculous
    Sh*tter's full

I took it as tongue in cheek. Got a little laugh. Steve Vai is an incredible performer and an awesome guy. I don't think there's anything douchey about Satch, though. Yngwie however, total douche on and off stage...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful Sinner View Post
    For the record, this guys opinions are not my own...
    Well Said

JOE did not teach Malmsteen
    Lost credibility right there right there, buddy
    Last edited by prscat33511; 11-10-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: additional info

Does this guy even understand the meaning of douche? He probably mixed up "jealousy towards one" with "douche".

I don't see a lot of douches up there, all I see is a douchey author writing that article. And I did notice this author particularly hates 80's metal guitarists. Isn't 80's metal all about "that" stage appearance? Those spandex, hairspray, lots of ego and notefests were just for the stage times. If all that glam-metal stuff is equivalent to douchebaggery, then KISS would have been the biggest "douche" band.

"Oh, come on KISS, stop wearing the douchey make-up already, or else I'm gonna badmouth you in one of my articles because you're earning sooooo much more money than me by wearing those douchey costumes that I dare not and never will wear."

Quote Originally Posted by garrett View Post
    Yngwie however, total douche on and off stage...
    Yngwie don't like f%$king donuts.

I thought it was funny, and pretty much agree with him. (Basically that they are all fine guitarists at what they do, but take themselves way to seriously)
    Last edited by Tag; 11-10-2013 at 10:26 AM.

How did Prince not make this list considering he busted up Captain Kirk Douglas' guitar on stage and wouldn't even sign the pieces as a souvenir?

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    How did Prince not make this list considering he busted up Captain Kirk Douglas' guitar on stage and wouldn't even sign the pieces as a souvenir?
    I do believe Prince eventually paid for the guitar to be repaired, but that still doesn't erase the douchiness of the original move.

Much as I like him, I'd still put Prince on the list for the way he treats everything about how he makes music like it's a state secret. I've read interviews where he wouldn't talk about anything - equipment, inspiration, method. Kind of like (blasphemy warning) EVH turning his back so no one would see he was tapping. The magic wasn't in the tapping, it was in what he played - as so many of us proved afterwards with our tapping!
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

I've seen Michael Angelo Batio for years in guitar magazines, and to be perfectly honest, he's always amused me. I remember one particular ad where he was trying to look like a badass clenching his fist. But that scrawny toothpick of an arm didn't exactly instill fear. I did manage to watch that clip for about 3 minutes before I lost interest. I'm sure he's a nice guy, and he definitely has forgotten more about music than I've ever learned, but I just can't take him seriously. His "music" doesn't say anything. It's just an interesting parlor trick.

The reason I only watched 3 minutes was because a little "movie" popped in my head. I imagined MAB meeting a girl:

"So, what do you do?"

"I'm a very famous guitarist."

"Ohhhh, that's incredible! I just love music!"

Cut to a darkened room. A fire crackles. Sweet love is just about to go down on a bearskin rug. Hottie aches for MAB to serenade her and close the deal. He unlatches his case and whips out a V-shaped, double-necked acoustic guitar. Shock and disgust flash across her face.

"I don't know what kind of girl you think I am!"

Door slams.

Last edited by Brad737; 11-10-2013 at 09:09 PM.
    Model citizen...Zero discipline

http://reverb.com/shop/brad737

Quote Originally Posted by Brad737 View Post
    His "music" doesn't say anything. It's just an interesting parlor trick.
    That sums up my feelings of the entire list,.. besides Eddie (he wrote some bangin' tunes for Dave.)

I couldn't find an authors credit... pu$$yclaat move for a hater.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiodeblanc View Post
    That sums up my feelings of the entire list,.. besides Eddie (he wrote some bangin' tunes for Dave.)
    Van Halen wrote some great tunes, and I have to exclude rick neilson (cheap trick) from "my" list too. Great songwriter, really a fine guitarist, and is not really full of himself at all. He pokes fun at himself as much as anyone really could! Seems like a real humble guy from what I have read.

San Francisco Bay Area and west-central Ohio
    Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    This.