Thread: Anyone else let down by other humbuckers that split after living with 408's?

Anyone else let down by other humbuckers that split after living with 408's?

I got a cool new axe with 59/09's today, sounds great, looks great and plays great. I kind of laughed after trying the split sounds, just no comparison to my Paul's guitars. As humbuckers the 59/09's sound great, there is just no going back for me with the split sounds. Anyone else feel this way?

actually, i quite like the split sounds of my 59/09's in my mccarty korina.

Quote Originally Posted by helmi View Post
    actually, i quite like the split sounds of my 59/09's in my mccarty korina.
    Apologies, I realize I didn't put this in a very tactful way. I wasn't trying to critique the 59/09's specifically. I feel the same way about some 53/10's I have as well. They both sound good split. I just feel PRS really nailed it with the 408's and am spoiled for any other split sounds. If the mods delete this thread I won't mind.

I have yet to try the 408s, I think it is for that reason, everyone I talk with tells me how awesome they are.
    At this point I will take the ignorance is bliss approach and continue to love my McCarty
    Whale Blue 2008 McCarty w./ IRW neck / DGT IRW neck incoming
    Black Slate 513 w./ IRW neck
    PRS 2 Channel H + Bogner 20th Shiva
    EBMM BFR Petrucci 7 string (IRW neck)
    EBMM Mystic Dream 6 string (IRW neck )

408's are cool....however 59/09's to my ears is where it's at for the new pups overall...then again my favorite pickups of all time by PRS are still Dragon I's.
    -Bob

The split on the 408 just kills !!!!
    but the split on my #6s has some mojo also ( center and split is )
    PRS Family - SCT, 408, 305, CU22, MEII
    Others Knaggs Kenai, LesPaul , Stratocaster , Guild
    Amps - Mesa MK2B , Egnater Tweaker 15
    Effects - Tonal Insanity Guitar Effects ( I make them ) TC Electronics Nova

Quote Originally Posted by CatStrangler View Post
    I got a cool new axe with 59/09's today, sounds great, looks great and plays great. I kind of laughed after trying the split sounds, just no comparison to my Paul's guitars. As humbuckers the 59/09's sound great, there is just no going back for me with the split sounds. Anyone else feel this way?
    +1

The 408s split brilliantly. They haven't ruined the DGT split for me, but the Mira splits seem pretty anemic in comparison. Haven't spent enough time w/the 57/08s split since I got the 408 to form an opinion.
    Alan

"I watched approximately 45 seconds of 'Rock Of Ages'. It was like getting punched in the soul." - Abby Krizner

The 408s sound so great split that they set a new standard as far as I'm concerned.

Traditional coil splits on humbuckers can sound very nice, of course, but they don't sound like single coils. 408s do.
    I saw ten thousand talkers whose tongues were all broken...

On my CU24, yes. They sound ok at best because of my Paul's guitar. But my DGT, I think holds it own when split.
    "Just one more and then I promise, no more guitars honey!" - The phrase I say most to my wife

Agreed, my Paul's Guitar splits are amazing, but the DGT is also fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by CatStrangler View Post
    Apologies, I realize I didn't put this in a very tactful way. I wasn't trying to critique the 59/09's specifically. I feel the same way about some 53/10's I have as well. They both sound good split. I just feel PRS really nailed it with the 408's and am spoiled for any other split sounds. If the mods delete this thread I won't mind.
    no need to apologize. i didn't think you were being untactful, nor was i offended. you were just stating your opinion, as was I. glad you enjoy your 408 so much. were all here because we love prs's, no matter what model.

They are certainly nice. Neck split is wicked good. Love neck split with bridge on bucker with volume rolled back. That's my jam!
    Plank Owner