Thread: A quick question for the experts

A quick question for the experts

I recently purchased a 2013 SE 245 Soapbar and so far I love the short scale except for 1 thing, the 9's that come on it from the factory are just too light. The low E feels really "sloppy". From what I've read, moving up to a standard set of 10's shouldn't cause any intonation issues, but I was wondering if I could safely move up to a set of "heavy" 10's. I like to have a heavier feel on the bottom end, but still like the feel of 10's for bends.

So, can I do this and still expect the guitar to intonate correctly?

Intonation shouldn't be an issue--the bridge should cover it, but you may run into some sticking with the nut. The nut slots may not handle the thickness of the heavier "big bottom" 10 set. Give it a shot. If it doesn't work, you can always drop by a luthier (or the PTC) and have them widen the slots a touch.

Good luck.

From what I've read over the years, the non-adjustable stoptail should intonate fine with anything except a wound G.

There are a couple of good aftermarket options for adjustable bridges, too.
    --Garrett--

You should be fine. The solid stop tail bridge is a masterpiece of functional simplicity. I use it for 10's / 11's in tunings from standard to C. I have no issues.
    Plank Owner

Thanks guys. I fully expected to have to file the nut, but wasn't sure about the bridge. I think I'll give it a shot, worst case I'm out the cost of set of strings and a new nut, neither of which bothers me.